Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member

Re: (Orv)

i think it helps if you start out using a smaller rod but yet one you can use two hands on. i had a freind that just started bait casting & he was using a 5'6" pistol grip rod (beacause that's what he used when using a spincaster) & he had a very tough time learning to bait cast with that rod. i let hin use a 6'6" rod that alowed him to use both hands & it really helped him alot.

2. Member

Re: (chuck21)

Another thing is learn how to steer the bait after the cast. It takes a little practice but is rather easy to master. On long cast, after the release, point your rod in the direction you want the lure to go, if off target.

OH.......and try a Pflueger (President) reel out. $138 at BP shops, and awesome!!

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (Lee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> A tip I picked up off of Bill dance outdoors about backlashes. AS soon as it happens tighten your drag all the way down, put alot of pressure on the spool with your thumb and turn your reel handle several times. then press the thunb lever and pull gently on your line. Not sure how it works but it has saved me from pulling out the knife a few times to cut the line. If you pull out some line and you hit another knot. Repeat the process again a few times it will usually get out most professional overruns </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep....works great...I know from lots of experience!!

4. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (PetiteBass)

good info above

5. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (Bass Hawk 87)

When using a baitcaster...im new....I HAVE to have a weight on the line right? Otherwise I would backlash all the time? When I used it...i would always backlash even before my lure hit the water. So then I would put more pressure using my thumb...but then my cast would not be more than 2 feet....what am i doing wrong...thanks
    I bought a daiwa shimano last fall...only used it a couple of times I got so frustrated. Thanks for the time
    Jeff

6. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (jeffrey265)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffrey265 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When using a baitcaster...im new....I HAVE to have a weight on the line right? Otherwise I would backlash all the time? When I used it...i would always backlash even before my lure hit the water. So then I would put more pressure using my thumb...but then my cast would not be more than 2 feet....what am i doing wrong...thanks
    I bought a daiwa shimano last fall...only used it a couple of times I got so frustrated. Thanks for the time
    Jeff</TD></TR></TABLE>sounds like your spool, tension is to loose little knob on right side of reel....or your lure is to light..not sure what you got the diawa or shimano but both are good products

7. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (booty0)

Remember to adjust your brake for each lure. When I push the release, I like for my lure to drop a foot or so with a little snap of the rod tip. This will help on the backlash issue.

8. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (cowboy38231)

I know that I should learn to use a baitcast but I've fished with a spinning reel my ENTIRE life (first reel was a spinning, I was 5 and just liked the way it looked). Since then, I never really fished with anyone who used a baitcast and by the time I did, I was more concerned with HOW they fished than WHAT reel / rod they were using. Now, I just have no motivation to use a baitcast. I fish with spinning all the time now and feel pretty confident in them. Now, I'm not saying I'm an expert. I'm a novice in every sense of the word. I've just used a spinning so long that I'm confident with it! Maybe one day I'll find the desire to.

I did get a new boat a couple weeks ago after being without one for a few years so maybe I will!!! Just can't convince myself to spend the money on a quality baitcast!!!!
    2022 Skeeter ZXR 21

9. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (07repsol)

A great video I found is Baitcasting 101 with Mike Bonadonna. It is excellent for beginners. As far as I know it is only available on VHS but well worth the money. Here is the website: http://bonadon.com/#

10. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (Curado)

thanks for that website. i new to bbc in general and was just looking over the website when i came across this helpful forum. i've been trying to learn how to bait cast for a long time. i gave up until i came across this. i've to go in the basement and knock the dust off my casters.

thank everybody for their inputs.

11. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (wolfrat1)

After reading this post I really see what I missed out on by joining up after don applegarth had passed away. I am sorry I didn't find this forum sooner! To Don

12. Member

Re: (cmb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cmb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One thing I just don't understand is why do most of the guys cast right handed with the crank on the wrong side?As soon as they pick up a spinner, they'll cast right handed and crank with the left.....natural to me. Mike</TD></TR></TABLE>

Excellent observation, I'm right handed and use a left handed baitcaster....I cast with my right hand, keep the reel in my right hand and reel with my left hand....no switching hands.

I can't add anything to Bass Hawk's lesson....just keep practicing......in the yard...every day for a while.....when it's real windy....just go to the spinning reel, till you get good.

2000 TR-186 DC

13. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (Curado)

Lots of good info here!

practice as much as you can

15. Member

using a baitcaster is a man's thing, so if u r not a man then u can just set that baitcaster down!

16. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (Lunker94)

Get a pflueger Echelon. Costs about $40 or $60 for the combo. I cast just about anything a long way. A senko on a 7 M rod cast 40+ and with a 1/2 oz crank bait you can look at 55, 56 yards with a 7 MH.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot...

That Fine line Floats, has a live well, is powered by Evinrude, and goes 58 MPH.

17. Member
    So is it easier to learn with a 6'6" or 6'?

18. Member

Re: (Mindcrime)

Usually a longer rod will allow the reel to throw further easier. But for learning either is fine. There wont be much difference between a 6' and a 6'6" (lengthwise) where the difference will be is in the action of the rod. The longer the flimsier the shorter the stouter. But for learning try a 6'6" Medium rod and learn on a texas rig or smalller sized crank bait. As you become confident get a pack of Zoom 6" Trickworms and try to throw them. Once you master those worms you can throw anything with the right kinda rod.
    But as you progress you may gain more distance as you try different lengths and different action rods.
    If you want the best results I would get the 6'6" in a Medium Heavy for Sinking Worms (Texas rig, Carolina, etc.) and heavier sized crank baits and swim baits. Or i would try 6'6" Medium for light baits and weightless worms . Ive tried them all and the best thing to do is to learn on the rod that would be most practical for the type of fishing you will be doing.

Good Luck

__________________________________________________ ______________________

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot...

That Fine line Floats, has a live well, is powered by Evinrude, and goes 58 MPH.

19. Member

Re: (BadBassTriton)

I don't think anyone addressed adjusting the magentic brake on the left side of the reel. I always max it out when setting up a new reel. Once I get it setup I back it off to get longer casts.
    Chris Ponder -
    2013 Skeeter 21I
    Yamaha 250 SHO

20. Member

Bass Hawk 87 hit it right on the money! Excellent explanation, he is right, once you figure it all out, you wont want to throw anything else.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast