Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (booty0)

Booty,

A seven footer might be a little difficult to learn with. I'd suggest a six footer so can learn to cast side arm too. If you pond fish from the bank, whatever you make sure you don't hit any branches behind you during the cast. It will explode the line on the reel like you wouldn't believe!

2. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (wristpin1)

Diddo what wristpin said god i hate that!

3. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (TheJaywalker)

Great tips put out there by all. I think TheJaywalker's comment on the reel quality
    is a good point. I started casting about 5 years ago with $30 to $80 baitcasters. I
    really liked the feel but got very frustrated. A fellow at Cabela's told me the entry
    level reel costs $120. I got a Curado and still can't believe how fool proof. If you tighten the brake and use all of the weights you about don't need to use your thumb. Since then I have tried a couple of other brands in $120+ with similar good results.

4. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (Magoo)

Well, I didn't spend $120 on the entire combo, but I can see why the extra money is worth it. I'll be upgrading soon. I've been fishing several times since my first post (with little success), but I've gotten reasonably comfortable with the baitcaster. The two-handed method works well for me. I'm having trouble with lighter lures like unweighted worms and shorter finesse type casts. That's what I need to practice. I need to get the one-handed technique worked out.

5. Member

great advice here already.The biggest factor I see when I have people in the back of my boat that are learning to cast bait casting reels is that they want to use their body to cast the lure...not the rod.Best advice I can offer is to let the rod do the work.Let the rod load up and when you reach a certain point in the cast,stop the rod and let the tip sling the lure out.This seems to be the problem a lot of the people have that cast the lure 5' from the boat and end up with a mess.

The more you use these reels the better you will get.You will get a feel for the whole thing and before you know it,you will be casting without a thought and looking at the place the lure will land rather than thinking about casting.

If this has already been gone over in other post and I missed it.....my bad.

6. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (74 Jeremy Adams)

Welcome back Jeremy, long time no hear from!

7. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (srode)

I still backlash when I try to cast a country mile and wind up trying to sling the bait and not letting the bait off pull of smoothly. If the bait jerks the spool, (due to casting like a gorilla) it will over run and backlash. Practice casting smooth and the distance will come. I've been doing this over 20 years and still can;t get it right!

Bill

8. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (billfromtx)

I totally agree on reel quality!
    I bought one of those EON reels for $100 and the dang thing would rat on me all the time.I finally threw it against my rock retaining wall after adjusting and re spooling with a variety of lines. It had some kind of defect and never did work right so in the trash it went.Purchased a Quantum MG and what a difference and it was only $59 at the time.Since then picked up a Quantum PT gold and Quantum Accurist PT and man what a pleasure to use from 1/4 oz up its almost foolproof!My poor spinners are getting lonely now.I love my baitcasters!!!

9. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (FishinIsHeaven)

I just started my wife out on the finer points of baitcasting. Had her actually using a spincast first and she tried my baitcaster and told me that was the reel she wanted.

Initial steps:
    Showed her the spool tension knob and explained it to her.
    Taught her the roll cast.
    If you are going to learn to cast you might as well learn the most versatile and best way to do it.

We have a baby pool the dog uses which I fill up with water and the way our back porch sits the pool is about the right height as water would be from the boat. I will sit back there with her and practice my flipping and the pool is a great place to practice gentle water entry. I can also illustrate to her how the baits work in the pool. So now she understands how to work some of the baits.

The roll cast:
    Let out about 6-10inches of line.
    Then you spin the bait starting clockwise in a circle.
    Upon the bait coming back into the starting position you release keeping the bait close to the ground.
    Just as the bait gets to hitting the water lift up the rod tip just a little then sit her down.

I would normally put this under its own section but I consider this to be the first technique that anyone should begin with. You can throw just about any bait using this technique.

http://www.billymarlin.net
    \"If at first you don\'t succeed, then skydiving definitely isn\'t for you!\"

10. Member
    One thing I just don't understand is why do most of the guys cast right handed with the crank on the wrong side?As soon as they pick up a spinner, they'll cast right handed and crank with the left.....natural to me. Mike

11. Member

Re: (cmb)

The reason I fish that way, is because I learned to fish that way when I was a kid. We did not have left handed reels back then.

I cast a spinning reel and use my index finger of the right hand along the side of the spool to "feather" the cast, the same way I use my thumb on a baitcaster. Also, I use lighter line and lighter weights. I can accurately cast that way, but not nearly as accurately as I can witt baitcasting gear.

I have tried the reels with the handles on the other side for baitcasting, but did not like them.

Lifetime Member of BBC

12. Member

Re: (Bass Hawk 87)

Yep, when I started with baitcasters only one of much quality was ABU Garcia XLT then Shimano with the Speedmaster. Been probably 30 years or so for me so I can see how the guys that didn't have access to right handed reels have gotten used to fishing with their weaker arm. The way I think as with a spinner if the crank is on the left side , its a righthanded reel, same with casters. The new guys need to give the left side cranks a try unless of course they are left handed and cast with that hand then the right crank is where it belongs, thats why leftys will change their spinners crank to the right side.Mike

Re: (cmb)

Have been fishing that way for many years and love it.
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

14. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (Bass Hawk 87)

One of the most important tips I learned when I first began using a baitcaster was to roll your wrist during the cast so that the reel is under the rod through out the cast. This makes the line come off the spool from the bottom instead of the top. It helps to lessen the backlashes and helps you develop some control of the distance of the cast. This is extremely helpful when casting into the wind(which can be very difficult for rookies and seasoned anglers alike). Once you learn to control you cast you wont need to continue to do the roll. I do however revert back to the roll when I am fishing in the wind or when im just having a backlash day.

15. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (Firetiger Crankbait)

A tip I picked up off of Bill dance outdoors about backlashes. AS soon as it happens tighten your drag all the way down, put alot of pressure on the spool with your thumb and turn your reel handle several times. then press the thunb lever and pull gently on your line. Not sure how it works but it has saved me from pulling out the knife a few times to cut the line. If you pull out some line and you hit another knot. Repeat the process again a few times it will usually get out most professional overruns

16. Member

Re: Beginner baitcasting tips? (Bill Barham)

What works better than electrical tape is just plane clear tape, if you get that big one and makes a run the electrical tape will not brake easy and can ball up on you and help break your line where normal clear tape will break easly and will let the fish run.

17. Member

How heavy a rod you are using makes a difference on the light stuff Falcon has a great weightless worm rod that i love to use on all my light stuff.

18. Member

I had given up on baitcasters until someone on BBC told me to try a
    Curado! I did, and turned out best investment I ever made in fishing
    gear. Also the most I ever spent on a rod and reel!!
    No substitute for quality equipment!!
    Liked the tip about the tape Don!!
    You should post that in the Tips Forum!!!

19. Member

Re: (Orv)

Orv great to see you posting on here. Haven't seen you online in a while. I have seen the commercials on TV though

Hope things are going great for you

Lifetime Member of BBC

20. Member

Thanks Don!
    I can't complain, life is good!
    Try to get to site as often as I have time!
    Get a lot information with fishing technigues and
    always good to hear from other folks who
    love fishin!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast