Briery creek info

Guys- The company sent me to work a week in Farmville and rented me one of the cabins close to the lake . Just checked in and will not be able to fish until Sat and sunday any info would be appricated.

Thanks in advance

Re: Briery creek info (megabass)

I fished Briery Creek back in the day. I never got on one of those BIG HAWGS you hear tell about but I have caught a fair number out of there. You renting/taking a boat? Be careful on that place if you do. There are a LOT of trees that have rotted off right below the water. They can get you hung up pretty good. I was hung on a stump one day for a couple of hours in a Jonboat before someone came and pulled me off of it. I fished upper end mostly. Dropping Jigs down by trees and pulling cranks through any openings. plenty of stuff to throw at...

Been an awful large amount of Live bait thrown in that water. That was always my excuse for not catching the new state record out of there.......
    Ed Mawyer
    2014 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

Re: Briery creek info (C-riggVA)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by C-riggVA &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote"> Be careful on that place if you do. There are a LOT of trees that have rotted off right below the water. They can get you hung up pretty good. I was hung on a stump one day </td></tr></table>

Same thing happened to me and my buddy...It took all we had to get off the tree top...Worst of all, we didn't catch much there...I know it's known for the biguns but that was my experience....Sandy River Reservoir is nearby and we tore em up there....

4. Member

Re: Briery creek info (BBBAC1)

Thanks guys - I might have to check out Sandy River.

Can you fish from your bass boat just use your trolling motor ?

I started catching fish at Sandy River right near the launch....Went to the first point across from the ramp....I think you would be fine with just a trolling motor there....Good luck whatever you decide....

I.M sent to you

P&J FISHING ENTERPRISES
    \"HIGH PERFORMANCE FISHING\"

"How fast do you want to go?"
    [I]Blazer 202 DC - 300 Hammer

7. Member

Re: Briery creek info (Vyper202)

i fish briery often, and you will be fine with your trolling motor, just keep a watchful eye. i caught one over 8 lbs in june, and a good friend caught one 13.9 in august at the lower end. the power line by the upper ramp remains a fruitful spot, and the island at the lower end continues to produce. definitely keep an eye out for schoolers, they can be caught on flukes and sammys, and even the big fish chase bait to the surface. good luck, david

I haven't fished there since Oct 26 but you can read the fishing reports on fishingva.com for some ideas

I have stayed in those cabins on Rt 701, very nice for the price.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Listen to Wayne P, he's a Briery Creek guru. I'd pay good money to have him on my boat for a day out there. Good luck

1998 Champion 203 DCX Elite 225 Rude
    2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE

10. Member

Re: (Rough Stuff Rider)

Got out this afternoon for a hr . caught 2 small ones -but this place is like santee targets everywhere - can't wait till weekend if it turns out like my end of oct santee trip I will be very happy -smoked them

11. Member
    at least u caught something. I gotta get a 9.9 on my tracker so I can get out there too and donate some lures to the standing timber

1998 Champion 203 DCX Elite 225 Rude
    2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE

Re: (megabass)

You are approaching the lake wrong when you speak of throwing at "targets".
    Forget about the trees and fish the lake bottom contours like you would any other body of water. Concentrate on the prominent structure breaks like creek channels, points, and steep drops. Another thing, if you can reach the shoreline with a long cast, in most areas, you will not be fishing where the fish are (basically don't be a bank beater).

Here is a Side Imaging view of the intersection of the main creek channel and Rt. 701. The creek is wider horizontal depression and the road is vertical depression. It is under the power line. West is the top of the view.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member

Re: (Wayne P.)

Thanks wayne - I fished the power line area all the way thru and good drops in the area . Also the point in front of the 701 ramp it has a good sharp drops to 26ft
    for about a hr today no good as this front has the fish shut down I believe.

Got he cabin all weekend come down and stay free and show me how its done.

Re: (megabass)

Thanks for the invite. It will be Tuesday before I get on the water again.
    Been looking for a big racked buck lately.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member

Definitely be careful on Briery!!! I grew up about a mile and half from the lake and fished it often until I got married and moved. I've only fished it a few times in the past 20 years but it never fails, even with the trollling motor I'm gonna get hung up on one of those darn broken off trees just under the waterline. The last time within 100 yds of the 701 boat landing. Took us forever to get off of it and there was another boat about 150 yds from us and he never offered to help us. That place scares me! Much rather fish Sandy.

Re: Briery creek info (VTFan)

VTFan, when I had a 12' jon boat with a 9.9, I would leave the Rt 701 dock, get on plane at 20-25 mph, and run all the way to the South end of the lake without hitting any stumps.
    The boat I have now will only run a little over 7 mph with a 9.9 but I still run that same route WOT with no stump contact.
    I can do the same from the North ramp to the South end except the area between the paved parking lot and the handicap pier.
    Sometimes I get hung up on stumps as I am fishing and do it interntionally sometimes to hold in place to fish an area, but I know the clear areas to run on plane. I've been fishing there since Jan 1989.
    I pull others off stumps quite often.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member

Re: Briery creek info (Wayne P.)

Wayne you're a good man. It's a scary feeling to be hung up on one of those underwater stumps and can't get off and no one will help you. I bought a 14ft. extendable push pole, hopefully that will help the next time I get hung up or I see someone else hung up.