Thread: Prop question

Prop question

I'm running a 1998 champion 203 with a 225 optimax and I bought the boat with a trophy 4 blade 25p prop that's stamped "champion" on it. Guy says it's the original prop he got with the boat new. Boat won't power load at all. When I try to pull up onto bunks a little it stutters. Merc 3.0 forum says I need a different prop. Going from the 4 blade 25p what pitch should I get in a tempest? Right now I'm getting 5700rpms at 68 to 69 mph on a perfect day. I don't really want to turn anymore rpms since the opti is a 98. Would like it to last as long as possible. Should I get a 25p tempest or 26 to test out?? Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I don't really want to have to buy multiple props just to get something that will work decent

2. Member
    I have a 96 Bass Cat Jaguar that had the Mercury 225 EFI motor on it when new. It came with a 25p Tempest prop when new. It would push the boat up on the trailer with no problem. Later bought a 25p trophy plus to try that Bass Cat told me might give me a little better hole shot as the tempest was the A45 model with out pvs holes. The trophy prop did have a hard time to load on trailer compared to the tempest. Later had the tempest reworked which helped with hole shot an had great bow lift after the shop added some cup an reworked. Both props ran about the same rpm on my motor which was close to what you are turning right now. The tempest was a little faster for my boat as it would run low 70's on a good day. Hope this helps.
    1996 Bass Cat Jaguar 2024 Mercury 225 Pro XS serial # 3B434028

3. Member
    Normally you keep the same pitch between trophy and tempest. The trophy works well in a few areas, but power loading on a trailer is not one of them, assuming partially due to the small diameter. If that is the only issue you have, why are you wanting to switch? Tempest should gain a mph or two, but won't handle as well. Could try a bravo if you want to stick with a 4 blade for the handling aspect.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caddelma View Post
    Normally you keep the same pitch between trophy and tempest. The trophy works well in a few areas, but power loading on a trailer is not one of them, assuming partially due to the small diameter. If that is the only issue you have, why are you wanting to switch? Tempest should gain a mph or two, but won't handle as well. Could try a bravo if you want to stick with a 4 blade for the handling aspect.
    loved my bravo 1 fs but loading on the trailer and reverse were not great at all
    Last edited by mactlman; 05-05-2024 at 07:35 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Guess I could honestly live woth what I have but I hate having to load by myself without being able to push the boat up the bunks woth the motor. Sucks having to leave it in gear and climb off the front to winch it those last few inches here and there.

Many times, This is a result of not enough venting of pvs plugs.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Many times, This is a result of not enough venting of pvs plugs.
    This trophy has the 4 small holes. Would it be possible to open them up to standard size and get pvs plugs to get it set right?? Or is that a crazy thought?

Trophy plus? If not, Mark can drill pvs holes in your prop.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Trophy plus? If not, Mark can drill pvs holes in your prop.
    I'm not sure tbh. It's the a45. It's got 4 holes but there smaller than pvs holes from what I understand. This is literally the only prop I have ever had for this boat so I'm not versed on the details on them.

Mark drills these hole’s frequently on those props.