Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Minn Kota Fortrex Trolling motor users -why haven't you gone to a Spot lock motor?

I just broke my 10-year-old fortrex 80 - said, now is the perfect time to replace it with a spot lock trolling motor, like an Ultrex - boy was I shocked at how damn expensive these things are. I remember looking a few years back seeing the Ultrex for about 2400- now it seems like the cheapest I can find that's available is just shy of 3000.... I am primarily a club, guy, fishing, roughly 10 to 12 tournaments a year and average 20+ trips a year and that's it..... equipment doesn't get put through the ringer like many other guys on this board. Sadly while it seems this is the perfect time to go to a spotlock trolling motor the reality is, I can't justify spending $3000 no matter how good the advantages these motors provide. I got ten years out of a 80 fortrex - was just able to find a brand new in the box 80 that I'm picking up on Sunday for $850 which is just slightly over half price ...... that I can justify..... Additionally, I catch so many fish just drifting around, not locked down in one position with spot lock motor so don't want to give up on that. For those guys that are still rocking a non-spot lock controlling motor what are your reasons for not going to the next GEN technology?

2. Member
    Two reasons: number one- money number two- mine hasn’t broken yet and is 10-11 years old. When mine breaks or I trip over a gold rock I will buy one !

3. Member
    Because I only use a hand control motor.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    Two reasons: number one- money number two- mine hasn’t broken yet and is 10-11 years old. When mine breaks or I trip over a gold rock I will buy one !
    . Well said...... it does everything I need it to do and is never in the shop..... getting another one and hoping for another 10 years...lol

5. Member
    I finally had enough of battling the wind in my tin boat. I went with the 36v ultrex with just the us2 sonar and got it for under 2300 a couple months ago. No way I could go back now to a motor without spotlock.

Minn Kota Fortrex Trolling motor users -why haven't you gone to a Spot lock motor?
    I did about 10 years ago when they put it on a Terrova

7. Member
    You haven't experienced it, that's why. Once you use one it's over lol, it can come in handdddyyy

8. Member
    Forterx is still working. When it breaks then I will cross that bridge.

9. Member
    picked up a ultrex for 1400 dollars from a member a couple weeks ago. my fortress is around 3 years old. decided to bite the bullet. Thought about a move but just didn't want to spend 5 grand.
    Keep checking the for sale sections save the money.

10. Member
    I have three reason and three reason only. Money, money, and money.

11. Member
    I will never have another boat without it. My 14ft Jon boat has a terrova with spotlock. If you fished flooded water and grass all the time I may could see not having it.

12. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
    You haven't experienced it, that's why. Once you use one it's over lol, it can come in handdddyyy
    I agree. It's easily the best thing I have ever added to my boat. Will never have a boat without it now.

13. Member
    I a like the op as far as how much I get to fish out of the boat. About 1 day a week for 5 months. The limited amount I get to fish was my justification for the ultrex with spot lock. It makes it alot easier to get out when you get and the wind is blowing like a bastard and its either go or wait another week.

14. Member
    I will get one eventually but can’t justify the money until my Fortrex breaks which will probably be never because it is such an reliable trolling motor.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

15. Member
    If my poles won't hold me I'm fishing to deep for me. Also they r almost indestructible and I carry everything I need in case something does break.

16. Member
    I’m hardly ever in water over 8’ deep. My power pole work just great.

17. Member
    The Fortex is a great motor but the spot lock bit via Ghost in 2022. I do miss the simplicity of the Fortrex but the spot lock is the feature which transcends all the rest.

simply no $$ for it

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WStorey View Post
    I will get one eventually but can’t justify the money until my Fortrex breaks which will probably be never because it is such an reliable trolling motor.
    This. Plus, I have a second Fortrex as a spare that I've never had to use!

20. Member
    I am probably in the minority here but I went from a Fortrex to an Ultrex and I really don't use the spot lock that much. I could easily go back to a Fortrex and be just fine.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast