Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anothe rinteresting topic on Lehto's Law

In this one, the subject involves LEO and other govt. vehicles parking illegally in non-emergency situations. The DOJ has declared that NYC police cruisers parked on sidewalks, for example, are actually a civil rights violation because they force pedestrians to find a way around the vehicle. If it's someone in a wheelchair, then they could be forced out into the street thereby endangering their safety.

What it boils down (IMO) is the question of "rules for thee but not for me" vs common sense exceptions. Police cruisers are often parked in fire lanes, in front of hydrants, and sometimes in handicapped spots while officers are inside getting lunch, running errands, conducting non-emergency business, etc. Their explanation is usually (a) they would get the call over the radio and be able to move the cruiser before the arrival of fire and rescue or (b) if they got a call for a violent crime in progress while they were inside the business, you wouldn't want them having to run 300 yds to their cruiser before they could get underway. Both valid points.

On the other hand, should a cop be able to park on the sidewalk while they run radar or work on reports? How about meter maids? Should they park on sidewalks, right on the corner, or double park (obstructing traffic) to write parking tickets?

I'm a little curious how far this declaration goes. Is it only NYC? I assume someone filed a suit or complaint in that jurisdiction. Does that set the precedent for the entire country?

Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

2. Member
    Or parking on tracks and getting hit by a train with a suspect in the back.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Or parking on tracks and getting hit by a train with a suspect in the back.
    Yeah, I've seen the bodycam but that's a little different. Let's keep it within the bounds of reasonable and common occurrences
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Yeah, I've seen the bodycam but that's a little different. Let's keep it within the bounds of reasonable and common occurrences
    On this week's episode of "Female Cops".

5. Moderator
    My best friend is a fireman and I complained to him about a similar situation a couple weeks ago. He wasn't working this day but another shift had a call on my street, medical not a fire. The house is in a steep curve and it's a small county road with not a lot of room on either side of street. The firetruck parked in the middle of the curve in the street making it very difficult for on-coming traffic to see around the truck to pass. To me it was very dangerous. They could have pulled in the driveway for the house but didn't. When I questioned my buddy he basically said they go where it's easiest and fastest. Everyone else just has to deal with it. While I get this sentiment and understand they are responding to an emergency, I feel like they could have pulled in the drive and not caused a potential hazard for everyone else.

6. Member
    Saw a similar situation yesterday......I was on a 4 lane road on my way do some grocery shopping. Ahead I saw two Sheriffs had stopped someone and the person they had stopped was pulling away. Both LEO cars were half off the road blocking one of the lanes, and they were standing on the sidewalk talking. I went and did my shopping (probably 45 minutes or so) and when I came back - both officers were still standing there talking, both vehicles blocking the right lane....with several cars sitting waiting to merge into the left lane to get around.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    My best friend is a fireman and I complained to him about a similar situation a couple weeks ago. He wasn't working this day but another shift had a call on my street, medical not a fire. The house is in a steep curve and it's a small county road with not a lot of room on either side of street. The firetruck parked in the middle of the curve in the street making it very difficult for on-coming traffic to see around the truck to pass. To me it was very dangerous. They could have pulled in the driveway for the house but didn't. When I questioned my buddy he basically said they go where it's easiest and fastest. Everyone else just has to deal with it. While I get this sentiment and understand they are responding to an emergency, I feel like they could have pulled in the drive and not caused a potential hazard for everyone else.
    Sounds exactly like what the Amazon Prime, UPS, and FedEx drivers do around here. They create a very dangerous situation for others when parking on a curve or partway up a hill.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 04-24-2024 at 11:19 AM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Sounds exactly like what the Amazon Prime, UPS, and FedEx drivers do around here. They create a very dangerous situation for others.
    100% correct.

9. Member
    I can understand someone in a wheelchair having issues but the rest of us need to be a little flexible. These guys put up with enough as it is now. No sense adding more to the list of reasons for anyone NOT wanting to be (..or remain) a cop.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BackLash625 View Post
    I can understand someone in a wheelchair having issues but the rest of us need to be a little flexible. These guys put up with enough as it is now. No sense adding more to the list of reasons for anyone NOT wanting to be (..or remain) a cop.
    They could just follow the law they swore to uphold also.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BackLash625 View Post
    This sounds like most logical conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post

If it's a full size fire truck we never pull into residential driveways. Even a small squad or rescue truck we rarely do. Our minds are on getting to call safely and taking care of the patient. It's not always on inconveniencing others. If another vehicle is going too fast or driving in an unsafe manner that makes them unable to avoid a big apparatus with a ton of flashing likes then it's on tbat other driver.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Sounds exactly like what the Amazon Prime, UPS, and FedEx drivers do around here. They create a very dangerous situation for others when parking on a curve or partway up a hill.
    So what would your recommendation be? Pull-in or back in driveway if possible and thus creating another hazard if doing that, drive onto your yard and rut it up if too soft, refuse to deliver and force customer to travel to pickup site, other?

In Canada, all the police ride horses, so they don’t have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    So what would your recommendation be? Pull-in or back in driveway if possible and thus creating another hazard if doing that, drive onto your yard and rut it up if too soft, refuse to deliver and force customer to travel to pickup site, other?

EMS and fire is not gonna do that. It's not logical as often there is a method to vehicle placement. Some people do not like to be inconvenienced and I understand that but more times than notthere is a reason why certain things are done a certain way.

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    In Canada, all the police ride horses, so they don’t have this problem.
    Then how do you explain this?

He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

17. Member
    Hi Mike.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    Then how do you explain this?

Maybe he's just on his way to work with his huge Teddy Bear.
    Hi Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post

Simple, either pull in the driveway, back in the driveway, or park further back from a curve or crest of a hill so that a motorist can have plenty of time to get around the vehicle parked along the road if another car should crest the hill/curve just as the motorist is passing the parked delivery truck.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Is this the thread where I can mention the state patrol that ran a red light in front of me while he was fingering his laptop keyboard while talking on his cell phone pressed between his ear and shoulder...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast