Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    One thing to remember when backing it, it seems like you need to watch both sides. You already KNOW it fits so if you just watch one side and keep it close on the side you don't have to keep looking back and forth on both mirrors. That will help with your neck situation. The doorway didn't shrink since the last time you backed it in.
    This! My brother in law was in the same situation, only had 4-5 inches total extra space. He kept trying to use both mirrors and always had problems. Finally showed him and convinced him to only watch the driver's side mirror and make sure to stay within 2 inches of the door he'd be fine on the other side as long as he was straight. After practicing a couple of times that day he never had another problem coming or going.

2. Member
    Got a riding mower or atv?

3. Member
    One thing that made mine easier to push was replacing the stock trailer jack with a jack w/a slightly bigger "beefier" wheel...big difference

Here's what moving your boat and trailer with the swing away tongue jack can get you...

An open talar fracture, severed nerve and artery. About 6 months non-weight bearing recovery. I was lucky I didn't lose my foot.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Here's what moving your boat and trailer with the swing away tongue jack can get you...

An open talar fracture, severed nerve and artery. About 6 months non-weight bearing recovery. I was lucky I didn't lose my foot.
    That don't look good. Hope this is an old photo and you are back to full motion and weight bearing.

6. Member
    Put more air in the tires? And yes just use 1 mirror.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

Man that foot looks painful
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by Z-91 View Post
    That don't look good. Hope this is an old photo and you are back to full motion and weight bearing.
    2016. I had the motor off the boat so there was some significant additional tongue weight. The C clip on the swing away jack let go. Pinned me to the driveway - July in Phoenix. You can imagine.

9. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Dang 86! . .. . Did you fully recover and getting around okay these days?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    It would be cheaper to learn to use your mirrors while backing up instead of turning your head around.
    This is what I do.

Put a custom bumper up front with a tow hitch receiver then you can push it right in with ease.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

Quote Originally Posted by RangrSkipr View Post
    Dang 86! . .. . Did you fully recover and getting around okay these days?
    Makes working the TM a little tricky but I haven't fallen in the lake yet. I walk ok. Just did 6 miles around the mountain this morning. And I'm fine on my bike. But I cannot jog or run anymore. I used to play tennis so that's about the only thing I've had to give up.

I try to take every opportunity to warn people about those swing away jacks. I've been pushing boats around my whole life and it never occurred to me that could happen. After the accident, I was surprised to learn from the manufacturer that the jack is not intended to be used to move the trailer... despite it having a wheel. Seems odd to me. This was on smooth concrete, mind you.

13. Member
    First, lay hi viz yellow parking lines spaced the distance from outside tire to outside tire other side. Extend the lines out onto the driveway. Next, a pair of plastic parking stops that double stick tape to the floor. Tells you when to stop. Last, overhead garage lights just to the outside of where the boat parks. Keeps the lines "lit" so you can see them even with the sun at your back. Tuck the side mirrors in so you can look down the sides of the truck as you back up.

I have a 10 foot door, but my garage faces my side street, so I have to do a 90 degree turn to back in. As I start my turn, I can't even see the driver side in the mirror, until I get straight. 21 foot triton, ain't hit the garage yet. Also, I drive an Avalanche, so can't turn in my seat and see out the back window well.

14. Member
    Many great ideas posted for you, the paint, learning to use the mirrors, etc. Maybe if you have room somewhere do a little practicing with some rubber cones that won't damage anything. Also the initial setup is very important in the very beginning, getting everything lined up dead center when you begin your backing. Also you shouldn't have to turn your steering wheel very much at all if lined up correctly starting out. Hope that helps and makes sense.

15. Member
    Can’t believe no one has told him to blow out the back of the garage and make it a pull through yet!
    seriously just use your mirrors or add a cheap back up camera.

Neighbor of mine went to the local street department and bought some of the 'drunk bumps' they glue to lanes on the street and highway.
    He swears by them.
    Mike
    ---------------------------
    If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit

If you have a GoPro or similar, you can put it on a magnetic mount on the starboard side of the trailer to help you see that side, bluetooth or wi-fi to your phone as a "backup" camera. Use your driver's mirror to guide the left side and the camera for the right side.

Otherwise, you can buy wireless wi-fi cameras that sync to your mobile phone for less than $50 on amazon. I have one that I mounted to a small 12v 7ah lithium battery that I can place on a bumper or trailer fender.

Much cheaper than rebuilding the garage, easier than manually pushing, and safer using the truck. Also easier in the rain or at night.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post

I'm sorry you had to go through that injury, a lot worse than my broken ankle playing hockey, I hope your ok but how do you move your boat now ?

19. Member
    Widened the garage door to 9' on older house to get away from this. Slow down and back in using mirrors..........

20. Member
    A small winch mounted to the back wall of the garage with a wireless remote would do the trick.. I've contemplated this one myself. I have a Tyee and have to drop the tongue of the trailer down onto a floor jack and push the boat in by hand so that the top of the windshield clears (barely) the garage door opening.
    2022 Lund Tyee 1875, Merc 200

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast