Creek Chub Jointed Darter Fan Club

My all time favorite hard top water lure is a Creek Chub Jointed Darter that was discontinued decades ago. Before the Zara Spook was a thing, you could "walk the dog" with this lure with little forward movement. Because of the hinge in the middle, with practice, you could walk the lure left or right I think better than a spook. Strikes were generally violent! I have 3 originals left but I am reluctant to throw them as there are a lot of large alligator gar in my area and they like top water lures, so they safely sit in my box. Any other Jointed Darter fans on BBC?

I have an old jointed pike that doesn't have the name visible on top of the front section. IMG_20240422_192159670.jpg

3. Member
    My first lure was a Creek Chub 8000CB darter. back in 1968. CB is for concave belly.

4. Member
    I prefer the Midget Darter like Whiteboat mentioned. Just a bit of info, the Jointed Darter was introduced in 1938 and the Zara Spook in 1939. The Jointed Darter was discontinued in 1965 and reintroduced in 1970 and discontinued for good in 1978 I believe. The Heddon Weedless Widow is another great top water bait from the past that is fun to fish with.

5. Member
    I had a collection of Jointed Darters, I think I had 50 to 60 different colors. Most were new in the box. Also had duplicates in the same colors slightly used. I think I still have a couple new in the box. I sold the collection around 2005 or 06. Used the $$ to buy a new boat and trailer. I'll try to find some pictures of them.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    I had a collection of Jointed Darters, I think I had 50 to 60 different colors. Most were new in the box. Also had duplicates in the same colors slightly used. I think I still have a couple new in the box. I sold the collection around 2005 or 06. Used the $$ to buy a new boat and trailer. I'll try to find some pictures of them.
    Now you are just showing off! I see the Louisiana address did you have any of the reproductions made by Duco’s in Pierre Part?
    Last edited by Missedone; 04-22-2024 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

7. Member
    I've got a few left, should have kept the boxes cause they look almost brand new.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

8. Member
    I think this is a duco’s knockoff. Made in Florida I think, not sure on that. It’s made from different wood so they didn’t work the sameIMG_3112.jpeg

9. Member
    Picture 042.jpgPicture 044.jpgDarters and misc creek chub

10. Member
    I think this is a duco’s knockoff. Made in Florida I think, not sure on that. It’s made from different wood so they didn’t work the sameIMG_3112.jpeg
    I don't know where they were made. Agree on the action, they floated higher in the water column.

11. Member
    Picture 042.jpgPicture 044.jpgDarters and misc creek chub
    Nice! I love the white with the violet spots. We called it ice cream color. The one I have left does not have much paint on it and the wood is roughed up.

12. Member
    The official color you mentioned is Pearl. There were a few different color variations under the pearl color

13. Member
    I did some turnings for a BBC member years ago of Creek Chub darters. Not sure if he ever painted them or used them.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaston13 View Post
    I have an old jointed pike that doesn't have the name visible on top of the front section. IMG_20240422_192159670.jpg
    I have a couple like that, made by Lucky Strike here in Canada, got a black one too, wonder what there worth ?

15. Member

I sold a decent lot of old lures and reels in 2004 to finance self employment and 2005 to finance first Ranger.