Thread: Green Algae

Green Algae

Has anyone else noticed that there is a lot more green algae this year? WL Co lake is filled with it. You can't touch the bottom or anything with in 8' of the surface without getting covered in the crap.

2. Member
    Yup
    I'm probably wrong, but I attribute it to the lack of rain for so long that normally would help muddy up the water.
    With too much sunlight penetration it has normal weeds way taller, more dense, and the added green snot covering it.
    And more weeds and grass means even more filtering keeping the water clear.

Most lakes we have been to are a lot clearer then normal (like you can see a dime glimmer from midday sun 10' deep) instead of 8"-24" visibility.

Stopped by Thayer old lake this weekend and have never seen it this clear before. And all that extra vegetation makes it hard to get to those fish that are buried in and under it.
    2015 VT 17 w/ 75 4stroke Merc
    Garmin 106sv, Echomap Plus 73sv, & LVS34
    & lots of fish ;)

3. Member
    I also noticed that in the lakes I have been fishing. I think some rain rain would help flush out the algae. On the plus side it helps me determine if I had a bite or bumped some type of cover. If my lure comes back with green slime i know it was some type of cover. If my lure comes back clean I can score it as a swing and a miss.

Yes, some rain would probably help wash it out some. Good to know it is not just around here.