Thread: Just a question

Just a question

2b116638

I’ve read that battery voltage can cause your engine to run bad. If you’re alternating is putting out 14 v why would the engine still run bad. Would it stay running if you disconnected the battery. I thought once the engine is running you would not need the battery. Like a car. Just wondering. Thx

2. Member
    batt supplies voltage, alt charges batt , engine must have batt voltage supplied and to run , do not disconnect engine from batt when running
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    So I take it low voltage can cause engine to do several different things

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just about anything from hickup or stutter to "I refuse to do anything today".

Proper battery type, capacity, and voltage is one of the "Cardinal Rules" for the Optimax.

Most any modern engine (marine OR auto) will not function properly without a good/proper battery attached. Virtually all engine functions are controlled by the PCM, and require: "VOLTAGE" in order to make the magic at the spark plugs that we all demand.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I appreciate what you guys do for us. I learn so much from your posts. Thank you