Thread: Unions

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Unions

There was talk at one of my current jobs (office job) about unionizing. Seems like all unions nowadays are good for is keeping sub-par employees employed. Unions started with good intentions from the rail and steel eras then transformed into politically purchased organizations to buy votes. Hope the company shuts down the union request.
    Last edited by Stratos622; 04-21-2024 at 10:39 AM.

2. Member

3. Member
    Office job unionizing ? There’s no sub-par employees at non union companies ? If the employees thought the company was treating them good, they’d probably not be trying to unionize

4. Member
    Unions came about because of sub par wages and working conditions in the coal mines and also the automobile factories.

Coal miners were paid only in script, a form of currency that could only be spent at the company store.

As for protecting poor employees, it happens sometimes. The unions also negotiate better wages and benefits for all employees.

As a long time union member I have see the poor employees finally run out of chances and get terminated.

5. Member
    If you dont like it if they unionize then quit and move on to greener pastures. They cant make you stay, problem solved.

6. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    I like onions, cook with them a lot.
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

7. Member
    I think a corrupt union is exactly what the corrupt and greedy insurance industry needs.
    Don't worry all union shops eventually close and move to Mexico. Might as well start looking for another job right now
    Last edited by NW.Ind.Basser; 04-21-2024 at 05:55 AM.

Never have figured the logic behind them.
    You took the job with the company knowing very well what your salary would be. Then you strike for better pay etc...
    Meanwhile the owner of the company gets other people who really need a job come and do the job you are striking on. They cross the line because they WANT to work and those on strike threaten them and their family. Well let them go work your crappy job that you were so fed up with you stopped working it and go find yourself another job
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

10. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos622 View Post
    There was talk at my current job (office job) about unionizing. Seems like all unions nowadays are good for is keeping sub-par employees employed. Unions started with good intentions from the rail and steel eras then transformed into politically purchased organizations to buy votes. Hope the company shuts down the union request.
    Nailed it
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

11. Member
    Samual Gompers founded our AFL, he and his dad made cigars. He was also against Chinese immigrants . Imagine what he’d say on millions flooding our borders today illegally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Gompers

For or against, I’m all for the freedom of workers deciding without government intervention.

I heard somewhere that being in a union makes you fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Ranting incoherently

14. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Owe your soul to the company store..

Dale Sinclair original

15. Member
    Like I have said unions have their good and bad. If you don’t want to join one don’t.

16. Member
    Being a Union trades man my whole career I have nor has my union ever had to pick it or had sit outs.The only bad representation of Unions that I have encountered is those in non trade Unions.

17. Member
    What don’t you like about unions? The better pay, benefits, time off, retirement. Believe me, your company loves you don’t want a union. Hey, that other boot needs licking.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by like2fish2 View Post
    Unions came about because of sub par wages and working conditions in the coal mines and also the automobile factories.

Coal miners were paid only in script, a form of currency that could only be spent at the company store.

As for protecting poor employees, it happens sometimes. The unions also negotiate better wages and benefits for all employees.

As a long time union member I have see the poor employees finally run out of chances and get terminated.
    Dad, uncle, brother, all retired UMWA coal miners. Good pay, great health care, and good pension. Try that today in a small town.
    Basscat Pantera 2

19. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    and lazy
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

20. Member

That’s what the OP wrote, “they keep the sub par workers employed”.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast