Thread: Unions

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    My UPS guy tells me it ain’t the money the new guys care about as much as not wanting to work more than 8 hours a day. Says their big thing is 6-230 and that’s it is what they want. No OT, nothing more. They want to come in, run a route in under 8 part the truck and be clocked out on time.

He’s old school, been there for years. He doesn’t get it, he’s like when you take the job you oughta know the day starts at 8 hours, not ends.
    What they want and what they get is two separate things. I've been at UPS for 20 years and can count the number of times I've been off under 8 hours on 2 hands. I averaged over 11 hours per day last year and likely more this year.

2. Member
    All interesting to see the high worker salaries achieved by the unions. But it's all just part of a big economic picture.

Raise salaries and wages, and the cost of the final good produced goes up accordingly. So you make more, but you pay more. Free or loosely regulated markets, like we have here, will always adjust to make wages for workers relatively irrelevant. The only way to actually achieve any wealth is to be on the other side of it - management or ownership. The rest of us are just on a hamster wheel, and taking what we think we can get by on to be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerman2006 View Post
    What they want and what they get is two separate things. I've been at UPS for 20 years and can count the number of times I've been off under 8 hours on 2 hands. I averaged over 11 hours per day last year and likely more this year.
    When I worked at UPS, part-timer on the 70's, they kept asking me to become a driver. No way did I want those LONG days. Line-up at 7:30am and not return until after 8:00pm on typical days.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    My UPS guy tells me it ain’t the money the new guys care about as much as not wanting to work more than 8 hours a day. Says their big thing is 6-230 and that’s it is what they want. No OT, nothing more. They want to come in, run a route in under 8 part the truck and be clocked out on time.

He’s old school, been there for years. He doesn’t get it, he’s like when you take the job you oughta know the day starts at 8 hours, not ends.

seems like a lot of people are starting to understand that life is very short and there’s more to it than working all the time , I think Covid really changed that mentality for a lot of people

5. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Unions are needed to keep corporate greed in check. Teamsters, UAW, and ProAthlete unions aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
    Yep keeping greed in check by using greed. sounds like a good plan.

I can see the good some unions did at points in our history, But think the need for these contracts has ran its course.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    All I know is I am happy I own FDX instead of UPS over the last few years.
    ________
    $8

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lcp3557 View Post
    You ever met anyone that hated getting a raise or prosperity?
    For other people YES!
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

A point a lot of people miss is skilled trades vs unskilled labor. In our skilled trade situation, the vast majority of our managers have ZERO industry experience. Skilled workers just don't respond to clueless people barking orders and micromanaging. Sorry, it's just how it is. People tend to equate being a "manager" or a "boss" with being a leader which is bullshit. I'm right as in our ranks we're all 25 to 40 year veterans while there are no current managers with even a fraction of that time invested. Not saying there are no good ones out there, there are but they are like comets and eclipses ... every 5-7 years a new regime rides into town, kicks the saloon doors open and announces that they're the new game in town, only to go whimpering out several years later broken and beaten. Seen that cycle in several companies over 30 years, it's inevitable.
    Ranting incoherently

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Yep keeping greed in check by using greed. sounds like a good plan.

I can see the good some unions did at points in our history, But think the need for these contracts has ran its course.
    Well Volkswagen thinks there is a need.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    It’s pretty obvious after the 200th union thread where everybody stands on the subject. Do y’all really think you’re changing minds with these ridiculous threads. Great job OP.
    No kidding, same old shit.

12. Member
    Well Volkswagen thinks there is a need.
    Agreed. They voted down the UAWs last go at it. The workers seen the Big 3s contract and overwhelming voted yes to the UAW. They'll be more non union auto makers doing the same.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    No kidding, same old shit.
    Well it's nice to hear different opinions whether the anti union guys are wrong or not.
    I believe the labor unions get lumped in with the public sector unions.
    It also beats hearing the FFS supporters whiners opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    Well it's nice to hear different opinions whether the anti union guys are wrong or not.
    I believe the labor unions get lumped in with the public sector unions.
    It also beats hearing the FFS supporters whiners opinions.
    Ok but you're relatively new so you haven't seen this horse put out to pasture, die, get brought back to life and beaten to death a second time and that process repeated over and over and over. Most here are anti union, plain and simple. They believe that companies or corporations big and small are all run by amazing humans that would never use or abuse another human being or take advantage of them in any way, shape or form for monetary gain.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    A point a lot of people miss is skilled trades vs unskilled labor. In our skilled trade situation, the vast majority of our managers have ZERO industry experience. Skilled workers just don't respond to clueless people barking orders and micromanaging. Sorry, it's just how it is. People tend to equate being a "manager" or a "boss" with being a leader which is bullshit. I'm right as in our ranks we're all 25 to 40 year veterans while there are no current managers with even a fraction of that time invested. Not saying there are no good ones out there, there are but they are like comets and eclipses ... every 5-7 years a new regime rides into town, kicks the saloon doors open and announces that they're the new game in town, only to go whimpering out several years later broken and beaten. Seen that cycle in several companies over 30 years, it's inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos622 View Post
    There was talk at one of my current jobs (office job) about unionizing. Seems like all unions nowadays are good for is keeping sub-par employees employed. Unions started with good intentions from the rail and steel eras then transformed into politically purchased organizations to buy votes. Hope the company shuts down the union request.
    Just another anonymous sh*t stirrer…gettin really old.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Yes, this happened to me. I lasted 5 years and quit. The company I worked for was a pretty large family owned (employees ranged 300 to 500). By the time 5 years had passed, the old company probably didn't have 150. Today maybe 30.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    self esteem and depression issues.. he knew he would get a lot of back patting and high 5's without having to buy meds......
    This is great, but i'm sure the majority of people this applies to won't even understand it's meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos81 View Post
    It took you 50yrs to retire making an equal amount… thats not even close to lucrative. Glad you dont have regrets!

Just curious how many years the union reps who you paid, had to work to have an equal income in retirement?
    I must be missing something. How many people make as much when retired as they did when they worked and get free H&W. I don't even touch my SS 1 pension check covers all the bills and things we want to do, and the other goes to the bank. Sounds pretty lucrative to me. Most people have to dip into there 401k to make close to what they did when they worked I won't be doing that. So I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. As far as the reps depends on how long they work for the local speaking only on my union and what other pensions they may have had before becoming a rep. I was very blessed one pension 50 years the other 25 years. My first pension carried into the other so for a time I was building 2 different pension at the same time. And far as staying 50 years the longer I stayed the more I would have gotten simple math. I wanted 50 years no one made me stay I could have left at anytime and would have received what I was making at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    How much would she have had if she had taken the amount she saved in union dues each month for 33 years and invested it, and gotten a modest 9% return?
    Not sure what her dues was but after I retired my dues was paid off in less than a year with what I get for a pension. So after 1 year I get a pension check that was paid for by the company all for dues. I'll take it. You need to look at dues as an investment. What I paid in dues over the years is nothing compared to what I get in the form of a pension.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast