Shift actuator sensor

S/N: 2B573247

I have a 2019 250 pro xs V8. I fished all day yesterday and then at the end of the day motor went into alarm. Error code 1021-25 popped up on vesselview mobile. “Shift position A from shift actuator. The input circuit for the sensor is below the valid limit”. Then I cleared and I was able to drive on plane. Next stop it came back into alarm but now it won’t clear. The motor will still shift into all 3 gears but alarm is still active and now motor is in guardian mode. Any ideas?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Very likely shift actuator is failing, unless there is a a sensor wire shorted to ground for the actuator. You'll want to get this addressed/replaced before operating the engine again.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Damn I was hoping it would just be a sensor issue. Do I still qualify for the recall if I am not longer under warranty? I never got a letter saying I needed it but my serial number appears to be in the recall from a few years ago.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The actuator was replaced under that bulletin in April of 2019 for the previous owner. That closes the campaign for this serial number.

Since you're no longer under Warranty or Product Protection, it would be your responsibility.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Fished all weekend with it in the big bass bash at loz. Had to idle around all day Saturday, then Sunday it started worked intermittently again. About a 50/50 shot each time I turned the key if it would start with no alarms. Going to go home and check for shorted wires again. Seems weird that it would work for awhile then it wouldn’t. I would think that if it was the actuator, I would either work all the time or it would never work. A shorted wire or faulty sensor but idk.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Either can cause this.

Please get this addressed before running it again- it is a potential SAFETY hazard to you, your boat, and those around you.

7. Member
    So I order parts and had to wait a couple weeks. Now the motor would alarm in the garage every time I turned the key. So after a lot of research I order both the demand sensor and the actuator. Parts came in yesterday and I pulled the lower unit today. After I had the lower unit removed, just to see, I turned the key and the alarm is gone. The actuator would shift in reverse but not forward. Is this normal without the engine running?

Also, I moved the shift shaft in the Lower unit to verify it was working correctly. It seems to be “shifting” but harder to turn the propeller by hand than I was expecting. Is this normal? I was expecting it to be very smooth. I bought the Mercury maintenance manual as well but not sure where to go next. I did not get the actuator replace yet.