Jerry Jones Buying Basketball Players

Looks like it is happening, he offered to pay double any NIL deal for all Ky recruits to come to Ark, and nothing hidden about it, NCAA Collage sports is a laughingstock right now. Am i viewing this wrong what is everyone's take on this???

Last I heard neither uk or ark had enough players to field a team. Yes college basketball is in a state of chaos and there needs to be some portal/NIL regulation.
    Everything Jerry Jones touches turns to crap, look at the cowboys. Without an X/O’s coach Arkansas will be just like UK and mature experienced teams will beat them.

Pope is gonna struggle for a year or two but I think he will eventually bring the fun style basketball back to Lexington.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    Last I heard neither uk or ark had enough players to field a team. Yes college basketball is in a state of chaos and there needs to be some portal/NIL regulation.
    Everything Jerry Jones touches turns to crap, look at the cowboys. Without an X/O’s coach Arkansas will be just like UK and mature experienced teams will beat them.

Pope is gonna struggle for a year or two but I think he will eventually bring the fun style basketball back to Lexington.
    This post is not just about Ky and Ark, it's about all that's going on in the NCAA. The NIL wasn't built for guys like Jerry Jones could buy up a team, or at least i didn't think it was.

Poke will be just fine, he will need some time to spread his gospel kind of like Cal did.

4. Member
    The NCAA had decades to address compensation for their professional athletes who play big time CFB and CBB. Instead they put their head in the sand and now it's a mess. It will eventually get fixed when the people who know how to run a business are put in charge.

NIL without any real regulation is a free for all circus. You throw in the Jerry Jones, Crafts here, Tyson talk of businesses like Fed Ex throwing money in might as well do away with the NCAA and just call the team what they are employees vs “amateur college students” playing sports. I think this is why you see Nick Saban, coach K and several other coaches retiring. The one and done no longer only relates to freshman going pro but entire teams will be vacated and rebuilt every year. A circus.

6. Member
    NCAA, amateur athletics, yeah right...

7. Member
    You are correct--Hell, FedX just created a 25 Million Dollar NIL account for Memphis State. Laird Veatch, University of Memphis vice president and director of Intercollegiate Athletics, truly appreciates the vision.“NIL opportunities have become a crucial facet of the student-athlete dynamic, and we believe major corporate support of NIL will need to be a key part of the future landscape of college athletics,” said Veatch.

8. Member
    Going to interesting how Title IX will be handled with the expanded payments.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

9. Member
    NCAA basketball is getting to be a joke anymore, football is trying to follow that path. I don’t mind the players getting paid, but something has to get done with this NIL and transfer portal. It’s a mess

I mean had the men’s basketball ever been LESS relevant today than it ever has been ?

10. Member
    Cal had some of the best players in the country at KY. And you see what he did with them.

Coach Muss had a highly touted squad this year too. They stunk, didn't even make the Dance. Muss crawled off to USC, most of the players have said adios, and we'll have a bunch of new faces next year, including Cal.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Coach Muss had a highly touted squad this year too. They stunk, didn't even make the Dance. Muss crawled off to USC, most of the players have said adios, and we'll have a bunch of new faces next year, including Cal.
    Yep, only time will tell with Cal and the new Kentucky coach. The fans will try to convince themselves that the their schools made the right decision. I liked Muss and wish him well, and I have always liked Cal. Kentucky has been dissappointed in recent years but most schools would be satisfied with his record and there is no denying his recruiting skills. I suspect he will try to go after some more mature players rather than the one-and-dones. Arkansas will likely be his last stop, it should be entertaining.

They will field a team that will go a long ways their first year…….you heard it here, first.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

14. Member
    Just give it time and Jerry will screw up The Arkansas Basketball team up also..

Wait till the IVY league plays this game, war chest of avaliable money will be staggering.

16. Member
    I’ll bet JJ will quickly tire of the Cal one and done show. Cal’s idea of success varies greatly than a schools fans. Maybe he can change but seemed incapable of that at UK

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    NCAA, amateur athletics, yeah right...
    And never had been.
    Mike Smith

18. Member
    Too bad he cannot buy a good football team.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

Whoever thought that opening up the flood gates for unlimited money to start flowing around college athletes was a good idea has $hit for brains. There has always been pay to play, no doubt. But now, it’s just a bidding war. Especially for the upper tier athletes. The days of recruiting players at the high school level and bringing them in, coaching them up and they stick for 3-4 seasons is gone. You land a 5 star today, and he’s gone tomorrow to the school across the street because they offered $5k more to wear their jersey. I was a devout fan of college football for as long as I can remember. But now, it’s just NFL lite. College basketball is the same. I’ve lost interest to be honest.