Thread: Reliable SUV

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Reliable SUV

Good Afternoon,

Wife is in need of a midsized suv. We have looked at the Toyota Highlander, Kia Telluride and Sorento (small), and the Hyundai Santa Fe (ugly). The Kia’s have the 100,000 mile power train warranty. We want the third row seating just in case (possible grand kids in the near future). Not too concerned with resale as we keep vehicles until fixing costs more than they are worth. Looking to buy in the next month or so.

Im curious what the BBC members have, likes and dislikes, etc. Ride will be a priority since she shuttles her 79 year old mother around and she has a so so back. There will be road trips taken in a few months etc.

Thanks for any input y’all can give. Oh, price point is $55,000 or less as in typical BBC fashion, cash is king.

Brian

2. Member
    For reliability, you’d be hard pressed to find a brand with a better reputation for reliability than Toyota and Honda. Subaru is up there in terms of reliability too and from my personal experience I’d put them above Hyundai/Kia and about equal to Honda.

that said, we have a 10yo Dodge Durango with 118k miles that’s needed nothing other than a couple spark plugs and the rear AC line rusting out. Probably the second most reliable vehicle we’ve ever owned, first would be a 2012 Honda Civic that never needed anything other than routine maintenance. Have been very pleased with the Durango

Really today’s vehicles are much more reliable than in years past. Usually it’s the rust that kills the cars before any mechanical issues do.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    4 Runner

My daughter has a 2020 Santa Fe and it’s a nice car. Over a 100k miles now. She bought it new and an hour one way to work. Looks like any other mid size SUV. Heck most brands now look alike. As for me, in a mid size SUV, it’ll be a Subaru. End of story.

The Subaru Ascent has third row seating.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

5. Member
    We have the Honda CRV and like it. If you want the third row you will have to move up to the Pilot in the Honda line.
    Hard to beat Toyota and Honda if you plan to own them long term. Just my experience and opinion. Good Luck!
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

Highlander sounds like a great choice for your situation.
    2010 Ranger 188vx
    175 Mercury Optimax

7. Member
    Test drive all the usual suspects…then go test drive the Mazda CX90. Your welcome.

Subaru Ascent. A former BBC member works at the factory and can get you VIP pricing. He got it for us on all 3 Subarus that we’ve had. If you want his contact info, message me.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 04-19-2024 at 10:26 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Member
    Grand Highlander Hybrid

10. Member
    I own 6 Lexus/Toyota products including a 2022 Highlander v6. The AWD on the highlander platinum is so good as on road saftey package. It is smart enough to know the front wheels are hydroplaning and move power to the back even before a human can process the information. For small kids, the back row is fine. When we do holidays, we get 3 young adults in the back row to go to the movies, short rides. I got this in 2022 with few other brand options related to pandemic and so glad I did. drives like a big sedan and gets good fuel economy. I have a lifetime warranty on mine but doubt it will ever have problems unless electronics become issues. I had an outback touring suburu on a week business trip and preferred the ride of my Highlander.

I'm sure some SUV's drive better then the highlander but reliability is my focus. I owned a Dodge Durango for 11+ years and it drove more sporty then the highlander but it had 5k in electrical recalls and started to fall apart at year 12 with only 130k. Each time I buy a US made product, they fall appart or rust appart or both about years 10-13. I just sold my 19 year old Toyota van and it was still going strong
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

We have a Honda CRV, love it. Probably too small for you so perhaps check out the Passport which has the V6. The Kia's get a lot of love and several neighbors have them and swear by them. Honestly, just stay away from Nissan and domestics and you should be fine!

12. Member

13. Member
    My 2014 Highlander LE AWD has been very reliable and tows my boat well, but for 2024 Toyota has gone to a 4 cylinder turbo engine, if I needed a SUV now, would look a Honda Pilot with a V6.

14. Member
    Thanks for the input so far. Keep it coming.

15. Member
    A Toyota or a Honda. Can't go wrong with either brand.

16. Member
    Look at the Caddy's XT 4,5,and 6 line-up.

If I were shopping right now the Kia Telluride would be first on my list.

18. Member
    Researched this for a year, got a 2024 kia telluride for my wife. We have been very impressed.

19. Member
    You’re going to get a ton of different answers and some of these named you can’t depend on reliability because they are newer vehicles that haven’t been out long. We have had good luck with the 2 Nissans we had, just bought a 2024 Hyundai Santa Fe so cant speak on it reliably, but it is a much nicer vehicle than the Nissans were.

20. Member
    Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander or Kia Telluride would be my suggestions.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast