X2 Power Battery Issues

I’ve got an X2 Power Group 31 100 ah 1150 cca AGM.
    I bought the first battery on April 23rd of 2023, it worked great for about 7-8 months. Noticed it started getting sluggish when cranking motor and was getting huge voltage drops on my garmin within the first 30 min of use, when I first got it it would stay at 12-12.8v most of the day but around month 7-8 it would drop to anywhere from 11.9-11.4 within the first hour of only using livescope, no other units turned on. On March 23, 2024 I took it back to batteries plus and they said it only tested 60% healthy… whatever that means. They did warranty it and gave me a new one off the shelf. Been using the new one since March and it seems to be doing the same thing. Has anyone else ran into issues? I’m charging it with a Power Pole Charge, the charge does great with my lithium trolling battery and it is calibrated for the correct batteries. I use this battery to run the following (2- Lowrance HDS Carbon 9s, 1 - Humminbird Helix 9, 1- Garmin 1222, and LVS 34 livescope plus system, cranking, pumps, lights)
    Curious if anyone else has had this issue, seems odd this new battery is brand new and doing the exact same thing.

Any advise appreciated
    Thanks

You are charging it to 100% before each use I assume? What charger are you using? I have the same livescope setup and it uses about 3.5ah. The other items you have on the battery are probably another 5ah at least. So you are looking at using 65-70ah in an 8 hr trip. AGM is good for about 80% of rated capacity to be safe so you have 80ah to burn. If you aren't running a lot for the alternator to charge you are using a lot of that battery but that shouldn't happen in the first hour of the day obviously. Wiring? Charger? Hard to say exactly but you might want to isolate the livescope to a dedicated power supply and see how that helps.

3. Member
    You just don't charge your batteries with the power pole charge , so when you get home you plug in your battery charger to charge back up ??

4. Member
    I understand how the power pole charge works, yes when I return home it gets plugged in and all batteries are retuned to full charge.
    Thanks DBolton I feel like I’m going to have to dedicate a battery solely for my graphs, I just think it’s weird this all started all of a sudden and the only thing that has changed is one bad battery and supposedly a new good one.

5. Member
    I’m wondering if, when you plug it in when you get home, that it is not coming to full charge using the power pole charger. That was an issue with that X2/Northstar and the Dual Pro chargers. However, if you can verify that it is being fully charged, then the solution may be to dedicate a battery for your electronics.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    X2 Powers have issues with chargers. I went thru 2 different chargers on mine and gave up. If you read the X2 Power details, they have a sentence that says their battery charging profile is not s supported by all chargers. Ken Smith, when doing the famous bass boat search noticed this. He showed the problem by charging his batteries, including an x2 power till the green lights flashed, then taking another single charger and putting it on the x2 power and it took another 1-2 hours to charge it! Exact same problem I had. I just switched out to Monster Lithiums on my 2017 250 ProXS 2 stroke and they came with a Monster charger. Problem solved. I gave the x2 power to the Marina and it now runs their tractor :)
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

7. Member
    Thanks Squire
    What ah Monster did you go with? Are you running all your graphs off it as well?
    just curious what ah is ideal to run everything and not have any issues on a 10-12 hr day.

8. Member
    I would also check your batteries just because they are new does not mean they are good. Went thru 3 new Exide batteries in 14 months. Easiest way to check is charge battery check voltage unhook everything let sit a day or two and recheck voltage if it dropped your battery is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Thanks Squire
    What ah Monster did you go with? Are you running all your graphs off it as well?
    just curious what ah is ideal to run everything and not have any issues on a 10-12 hr day.
    I wouldn't go any smaller than 100ah for what you have listed. You have a minimum 8ah draw requirement from your listed electronics. 12 hrs and you are at 96ah used.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBolton View Post
    I wouldn't go any smaller than 100ah for what you have listed. You have a minimum 8ah draw requirement from your listed electronics. 12 hrs and you are at 96ah used.
    I went light. 12v 170ah Monster, mated with a 36v 73ah TM battery, with a new Monster 2 bank charger. If I need more for some reason, I can replicate the battery and charge in Parallel. I go out every weekend, and have fished long days. Neither battery has been below 87% end of the day (Ultrex, though replacing it this weekend with the Ultrex Quest). Holeshot much better and no loss of speed, running a 24p Fury 4blade.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

11. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    I’m wondering if, when you plug it in when you get home, that it is not coming to full charge using the power pole charger. That was an issue with that X2/Northstar and the Dual Pro chargers. However, if you can verify that it is being fully charged, then the solution may be to dedicate a battery for your electronics.
    God forbid if you run one really low. They take a loooong tie to come back to full charge - on a bench top charger, not the onboard charger.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Member
    I have similar issue with the same X2 31 AGM. If I run live scope it will only last 6hrs with a 9", 12" and aerator running. If it runs down it will never charge overnight for a two day tournament. Battery is absolute garbage, pushing $500 battery and it's nothing but an 80# anchor after lunch.

I brought in and had it tested after a tournament and it took BatteriesPlus 3 days to charge on their in house charger which was I can't recall but somewhere between 2 and 5 Amp charger. Worst investment I've made in the boat.

13. Member
    I too had X2 issues same problem. Went through two batteries and gave up on them. Of course there lots of folks in here that says their X2s work ok. Too many people having same issues for their not to be anything wrong with the X2

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    I too had X2 issues same problem. Went through two batteries and gave up on them. Of course there lots of folks in here that says their X2s work ok. Too many people having same issues for their not to be anything wrong with the X2
    Agree. These charging issues with the X2 are well documented here on BBC. That is why the Odyssey 31 AGM is a better choice. However, at the price, you are approaching the cost of a good lithium cranking battery.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

15. Member
    I have (2) X2 AGMs in parallel and (2) Powerhouse 40ah 36V in parallel all connected to the Power Pole Charge. I have no issues. In fact, if I make a long run at the end of the day everything is nearly 100% before I even plug the Charge in. Make sure all your software updates are current. Look at the app and make sure your power sharing is not favoring your trolling motor batteries.

16. Member
    Same issue with X2 here. Batteries Plus refused to warranty one that dropped to 10v at one year old because of "neglect". It was charged continuously in an climate controlled warehouse anytime it wasn't on the water. I won't ever buy another one.

Dang... I'm almost starting to feel bad about my X2.

4 years old and not one problem. Initially, I had it on a new model dualpro 15 amp, IIRC. Wasn't sure it was taking a full charge so I switched to a MK 220 PC 2 channel 10 amp per channel charger. I doubled up the leads for 20 amps and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

My understanding at the time was the problem was with the dualpro and not the battery.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419