Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yet another FFS post....

Pulled this from the Best on Tour email blast. Not listed, but total responses were approx 520 and split right down the middle. I just found it interesting....

In a recent poll conducted by Crappie Now over half of respondents indicated that they in fact did not own any type of forward facing sonar unit whatsoever. The reasons anglers gave for not owning FFS were quite interesting, giving us a great insight on what the average angler thinks about the technology. Check out some of our favorite reasons below.
    It is depleting a renewable resource at a rapid pace
    Should be outlawed
    They’re a crutch for lazy fishermen. I can’t imagine a duller way to fish.
    Not willing to lose knowledge it has taken me a lifetime to acquire.
    Unfair
    Will eventually lead to too many fish being removed from lakes. State agencies will need to reevaluate the number of fish that can be taken out
    Too much technology in the sport already.
    I think they are unfair for sport fishing.
    It’s not fishing, it’s spotlighting
    Taking the “fishing” out of fishing
    I think they negatively impact the fish harvest.
    The technology is dumbing down anglers. I’ve fished for a living for almost 50 years. I’ve watched a steady decline in anglers that truly understand all the elements and those that are successful almost solely through tech. We are losing our skill sets. I blame tech for that. I’ve seen the full arc of electronics and use modern electronics in my business. This just crosses an ethical line for me. To each his own though.
    What do you think the results would be right now if we asked 500 bass anglers the same question?

2. Member
    "I'm too broke to buy one so no one else should have one either."

Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    That's all it is.

The underlying foundation of every point made in the first post.

5. Member
    This topic gets beat to death, but that's an interesting new perspective. To be honest I'd imagine the bass fishing crowd it'd be around 50/50, but if you isolated the poll to boaters who tournament fish the majority would be in favor of FFS.

At the end of the day I totally get it if you don't want to use it. Nobody is forcing anyone too. If you feel strongly about not using it, don't enter tournaments that allow it. As long as you can use live bait I don't understand why a DNR would consider banning it.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

6. Member
    The "I can't imagine a duller way to fish" coming from a crappie fisherman is histerical.
    Guarantee that guy is out there trolling a spider rig around the creek channel sipping burnt coffee. Every time I see them out there that quote is exactly my thought.

7. Member
    Guess I'm too lazy or too over it but need to put this emoji after every single one of the responses!
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    The "I can't imagine a duller way to fish" coming from a crappie fisherman is histerical.
    Guarantee that guy is out there trolling a spider rig around the creek channel sipping burnt coffee. Every time I see them out there that quote is exactly my thought.
    Bottom bouncer trolling for walleye has to be worse. You can't even hardly feel them fight over the weight
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Member
    The people that don't have it need to go with someone that does and see how many Crappie don't bite. It is really unbelievable how many fish in a school that will never look at a lure or will follow it and never bite. There have been times that just out of curiosity I have changed colors ,styles of baits and added different attractants to see the responses. Sometimes you might catch a few out of the school and sometimes you won't catch any. Just because you find a school of Crappie with FFS your not gonna catch all of them as some people think.

10. Member
    what struck me was, "Not willing to lose knowledge it has taken me a lifetime to acquire". Why does it have to be one or the other for some people? I fish the traditional way, and if it's not working, I'll use the Scope. It's just another tool! But for the kids that came into the sport with that as their basis of knowledge, then, they aren't going to be well rounded fishermen.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    what struck me was, "Not willing to lose knowledge it has taken me a lifetime to acquire". Why does it have to be one or the other for some people?
    Exactly. How has anyone lost knowledge? Every time this whine surfaces [again, and again], I’m reminded that since day 1 of my tournament fishing, a handful of decades ago, someone has been complaining that someone else has more of this or that than the first someone has. Get over it and use what you have. Guarantee that my “lifetime” of fishing knowledge and experience on the water produces some fish that I wouldn’t catch without those attributes. And since I’m not dead yet, I either can take the time to learn new ways of fishing or do without.

12. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Bottom bouncer trolling for walleye has to be worse. You can't even hardly feel them fight over the weight
    ^^^^^

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charg295 View Post
    The people that don't have it need to go with someone that does and see how many Crappie don't bite. It is really unbelievable how many fish in a school that will never look at a lure or will follow it and never bite. There have been times that just out of curiosity I have changed colors ,styles of baits and added different attractants to see the responses. Sometimes you might catch a few out of the school and sometimes you won't catch any. Just because you find a school of Crappie with FFS your not gonna catch all of them as some people think.
    The one that gets me is... pull up to a good fresh school on FFS & 1st cast one will almost 100% of the time bite immediately. If you're lucky a second one will, but lots of times, you can sit there and cast at them for an hour and they just ignore your bait or chase back to the boat and swerve. Dozens of them - drives me nuts. Change colors and styles all you want.. way better off finding a fresh batch and recycling on those sometime later. Little suckers are smarter than you think they are.

14. Member
    Yup, the world isn’t driven by greed, it’s actually driven by envy. Ever notice 2 out of the 10 commandments forbid envy.

15. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by charg295 View Post
    The people that don't have it need to go with someone that does and see how many Crappie don't bite. It is really unbelievable how many fish in a school that will never look at a lure or will follow it and never bite. There have been times that just out of curiosity I have changed colors ,styles of baits and added different attractants to see the responses. Sometimes you might catch a few out of the school and sometimes you won't catch any. Just because you find a school of Crappie with FFS you’re not gonna catch all of them as some people think.
    We cast brush piles for crappies today, lots would
    ignore , several would follow and a few would bite. Kept 11 in 5 hours. More than we probably would have caught without livescope.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

16. Member
    I've learned over decades of fishing how to locate fish and now that I no longer fish tournaments I use that knowledge to put myself on fish for fun. But sometimes when I can't get a bite when I think I should, I start wondering if they are there but just not eating or if I am wrong and they just aren't there. That is when I like to turn on the FFS and answer that question.

17. Member
    Sounds like they interviewed 520 crusty old men

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    This topic gets beat to death, but that's an interesting new perspective. To be honest I'd imagine the bass fishing crowd it'd be around 50/50, but if you isolated the poll to boaters who tournament fish the majority would be in favor of FFS.

At the end of the day I totally get it if you don't want to use it. Nobody is forcing anyone too. If you feel strongly about not using it, don't enter tournaments that allow it. As long as you can use live bait I don't understand why a DNR would consider banning it.
    I'm boatless now, but getting a new rig at the end of the year and can't wait to utilize the technology

19. Member
    I’m amaze that it was 250 to 250. What are the chances of that? Why not post a list of the reasons FOR it?
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

20. Member
    The comments fall in line with what I hear from the circles I fish in. Hard to guage from the comments here cause I’m pretty sure most of the guys here don’t fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast