Low oil in Reservoir Fault

Good evening,

I'm up here in Maine and just took my boat out for the first time since last fall. About halfway through the day I got a solid beeeeeep, and turned the outboard off. I checked my Vessel View mobile to see if it threw a code and it did for low oil in reservoir. I think I got another code for guardian mode. I made it back to the ramp, but my outboard was acting off power wise taking off(taking it easy), and when I got home just turning the key on without starting generated the same beeeeep. My oil in the boat tank was at least 3/4 full and the reservoir on the motor was at about half when I checked it on the water. I'm thinking this is supposed to be full to prevent air? I'm guessing where it not being in use for around 4 months is a clue? FYI, the tank in the boat is original to the boat, which is a 1998 model. Any help on checking things before I go out in the garage and waste time is appreciated.

2015 Pro XS 200
    Serial number:
    2B124899

Thanks!

-Keith A

Restored 1998 Ranger R91 / 2015 Mercury 200 ProXS

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Engine tank should be 100% full with no air space present.

See the FAQ Section "Bleeding air from the Engine-Mounted Oil Tank" provided you have at least 1.5" of oil in the engine-mounted tank. If oil level is LOW, you will need assistance to perform an oil pump prime.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks for the advice! Boat tank pickup screen was clogged as well as pump that needed a new o ring as well(leaking). Boat was sitting unused for 4-5 months(Maine winter).
    Restored 1998 Ranger R91 / 2015 Mercury 200 ProXS

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "Pump that needed a new O-ring"? What about the other 14 o-rings in there?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I've been hearing a lot of people with optimax/dfi oil gelling in the tank clogging the oil pickup. That was my issue when my engine alarm started going off about 30 seconds after I cranked the engine. It always went off after a few seconds though. My engine mounted oil tank would only fill halfway

6. Member
    One commonality among the many recent posts on this also includes a deck fill.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    One commonality among the many recent posts on this also includes a deck fill.
    i hate um , seen several powerheads lost from h2o in oil tank , be warned
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    i hate um , seen several powerheads lost from h2o in oil tank , be warned
    +1... though usually combined with some level of ignoring signs and warnings that a problem is there (NOT always, however).

Knock on oil drums... only problems I've seen locally were two that were water-induced (and really wouldn't matter WHAT oil it was running, water and oil don't mix very well).