Thread: Redwoods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    I want to see the redwoods that are in MI. But the true giants would be amazing.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

Was there many years ago. Very cool place and the tress are TALL. We drove, so no help on where to fly into.

3. Member
    I drove up to Redwood National Forrest once. But aren't there some Redwoods closer to San Fran?

4. Member
    The best Redwood forests are up east of Crescent City. Sierras have Sequoias but not the same as the lush green forests of the north coast. Stout Grove up in Smith River is amazing.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    I just planted a dawn redwood in my back yard.
    Different species, originally brought to the U.S. from China. Beautiful tree that you will enjoy.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

6. Member
    Crescent City is the place. Traveled from Oregon down the 101. Crater Lake is worth seeing as well.

I live in the North Bay area and have done the Muir Woods stuff as well as driven up the coast through Mendocino and on to Humboldt. Those areas have redwoods and are beautiful. However, when I take visitors to see "big trees" we head East towards Arnold and go to Calaveras Big Trees State Park. No where that I've seen redwoods compares to the ones there at Calaveras! You'll just have to decide on whats more important to you and your trip desires. You can fly into San Fran, rent a car and drive up the Coast. That will give you views of the Pacific Ocean, Golden Gate Bridge, Napa wine country, seals, some big trees, the Chandelier Tree (drive through tree), the Eel River, etc. Or you can fly into Sacramento/Oakland/San Fran, rent a car and head East. That would give you possibly the Golden Gate Bridge, Calaveras Big Trees State Park, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and the Sierras.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Different species, originally brought to the U.S. from China. Beautiful tree that you will enjoy.
    Yeah, we got it because it's supposed to be fast growing and pretty in the fall.
    Hi Mike.

I’ve always liked the winding road SR-35 “Skyline Blvd.” from Santa Cruz to San Francisco for a relaxing drive in the hills through some coastal redwoods. Awesome for those in a convertible vehicle or on a motorcycle. You have to check for road construction issues though as seasonal rains can cause issues with the two lane road needing repairs.

There is an old steam locomotive that runs in the Santa Cruz hills in the redwoods. Two choices of train rides with one of them bringing you down into the city of Santa Cruz down at the beach.

Then while there you could also visit the Mystery Spot. There is so much stuff to do out here that we sometimes can take it for granted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cali...State_Route_35

https://roaringcamp.com/excursions/r...st-steam-train

https://www.mysteryspot.com/
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 04-18-2024 at 01:25 PM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

10. Member
    We flew in to San Fran and drove down the coast, Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey, Pebble Beach etc. really enjoyed the redwoods of course and had a bloody chuckle at the banana slugs.

11. Member
    Everyone should drive the CA coast from Crescent City to Santa Barbara. There’s nothing else like it. Nothing.

It's well worth going. We flew into San Fran and seen them at Muir Woods and another place that the name I cannot remember. Spent a week in SF. I could go back. I would go get another bass tattoo on Haight & Asbury like I did for my 50th birthday thirteen years ago. Wonderful place to visit.....
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12