Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big Bass Tournament Payouts/Partner Split

Okay I did a search on this and did not find anything. There are a couple of big bass tournaments coming up that I am considering fishing. The question has been raised as to how should you split, if at all with a partner in the boat?

I have been told there are two options:

1. A 50/50 split.
    Some discussion on this, if I am in my boat and go 50/50, is that reasonable? When doing a 50/50 split, the individual who is the prize winner will receive the 1099 and the taxes that come with it.

2. Treat it as an individual prize. Winner will receive a 1099 for the winnings.
    I talked with a guy who is a regular in these type tournaments, and this is his philosophy.

As always when it comes to money things can get touchy. I appreciate any comments either way or if you have done it another way I am open to listen.

Right now I am not sure I am going to proceed doing one since feathers are already ruffled.

Thanks!
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

i mean its what u and your partner agree on. either works for me.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Pretty simple 50/50 split, it's not that hard to figure out.

4. Member
    Count for 35% taxes. Of the 65% remaining, take out gas money etc. Split what is left with partner, since one person is going to pay the taxes.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Count for 35% taxes. Of the 65% remaining, take out gas money etc. Split what is left with partner, since one person is going to pay the taxes.
    This seems reasonable to me for an event that gives out 1099s (High payouts). The small club events I used to fish were low $$ with no paperwork, just cash payouts. I was the back seat guy so the way we did it was I paid 100% of the entry fee and my boater partner took care of the boat and truck expense so all that was handled separate from any winnings. Any money we won even if it was just big bass the total was split 50-50. Our feelings were we were a team and if I caught the big bass my partner probably netted it or it would be the other way around. It is true - when it comes to money you will see people's true nature.

6. Member
    Always been 50/50 with any team partners

Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    This seems reasonable to me for an event that gives out 1099s (High payouts). The small club events I used to fish were low $$ with no paperwork, just cash payouts. I was the back seat guy so the way we did it was I paid 100% of the entry fee and my boater partner took care of the boat and truck expense so all that was handled separate from any winnings. Any money we won even if it was just big bass the total was split 50-50. Our feelings were we were a team and if I caught the big bass my partner probably netted it or it would be the other way around. It is true - when it comes to money you will see people's true nature.

Wanna fish Sunday?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    That seems 100% the right way to do it imo.

When people just say "50/50", should it really be split evenly if the expenses and practice commitment aren't split evenly? One guy brings his truck and boat, does all the practice, but the guy who rolled up with a few rods tourney day deserves half of the cash?
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Member
    Man thank you for your input! I agree on a 50/50, but there needs to be something held back for taxes. Now smaller tournaments, no biggee, but on a substantial payout, an allowance needs to be had for the guvment!!
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

10. Member
    I know this is a big bass tournament but they might be willing to write 2 checks then both of you get a 1099, that's what they do for the team circuit I fish.

11. Banned
    Well when we use to offshore fish in the shark tournaments up north, the boat was always a partner, 4 man crew boat counted as 5th man when it came time to splitting any winning's , and if you think about the cost of these bass rigs today i feel that would be fair also

12. Member
    Team tournament - 50-50 split. Every team tournament I've fished has split the 1099's, as they should.

13. Member
    Not big bass tournaments but fish a team trail here. My partner and I split entries and fuel costs, I own the boat. I told him when we started boat takes 25% for maintenance and the rest splits 50/50. We one our first check last year for $300. Boat took $75 leaving 112 for each of us. I looked at him said we spent 200 in fuel and 25 in campsite. Reached over and said your share is 112.50 and took what he was left holding in his hands. My partner went from a big smile to a you gotta be shitting me look. I handed him all the 300 back and said split it up 50/50 and well figure out fuel when we get home which ended up being 90 bucks. I told him were partners and the boat doesn't really take 25% as it would be fishing with or without him in it. It was a really funny moment as it was his first couple of tournaments he ever fished.

14. Member
    My partener and I both own boats. We swap boats each tournament. Whoever brings the boat for the tournament provides the gas for truck and boat on tournament day. The other pays the entry fee. We split winnings 50/50. Neither of us are wealthy by any means but we can both afford our hobby so neither of us ever sweat the money. It seems like people get way to caught up in how much it costs to fish. If you are worried about your co-angler giving you gas money you are probably in pretty rough shape and shouldn't be fishing.
    2020 Caymas CX20

15. Member
    If you guys are so desperately trying to figure out how to share the winnings then you're not fishing with a "partner", you're fishing with an associate IMO.

Much like Jjionsind said, the circuit we fish also splits the 1099. My partner and I both own boats and both pre-fish. We split gas, entry, and winnings right down the middle. But we are buddies so it's extremely simple to figure out and I have never needed to ask anyone how to do it.

Good luck

Big Bass Tournament Payouts/Partner Split

Okay I did a search on this and did not find anything. There are a couple of big bass tournaments coming up that I am considering fishing. The question has been raised as to how should you split, if at all with a partner in the boat?

I have been told there are two options:
    If its a "BIG BASS" tournament there is a third option which is what I do.
    Fish alone --- no problem

17. Member
    50/50. You’re fishing as a team, act like one. You win together, and lose together. As with most things, money brings out the worst in people, even amongst friends.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Someone needs to define "BIG BASS" tournament.
    All the "BIG BASS" tournaments I fish pay from one to three places per hour and big bass overall--- There not designed to be a team event.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Someone needs to define "BIG BASS" tournament.
    All the "BIG BASS" tournaments I fish pay from one to three places per hour and big bass overall--- There not designed to be a team event.
    Every one here has been a Team format, but there aren't many of them. You're in Texas, so Big Bass tournaments are probably more popular. Isn't the Skeeter Owner's Tournament, annually held on Lake Fork, a Team format though?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Thats what we did when i won one and got a 1099, if you spilt 50/50 the one paying the taxes is getting screwed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast