Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ken Duke's best professional bass angler all time list. BTL 4-16

Pretty interesting episode. Ken has developed a point system for AOY, Classic wins, CUP win, regular season wins etc. Here is his Top 20:

KVD
    Roland Martin
    Rick Clunn
    Larry Nixon
    Dennys Brauer
    AMart
    Gary Klien
    Mark Davis
    David Dudley
    Jay Yelas
    Edwin Evers
    Clark Wendlandt
    Greg Hackney
    Davey Hite
    Bill Dance
    Andy Morgan
    Skeet Reese
    Guido Hibdon
    Bryan Thrift
    Jacob Wheeler

Do you agree? Who's too low who's too high?

Wheeler is too low and Gary Klein too high.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabes1 View Post
    Agree...

Skeet and Wheeler need to move up. Skeet has done it all. Wheeler is the new KVD
    Last edited by slim; 04-17-2024 at 06:53 AM.

5. Member
    Just listened to it on BTL. I thought Ken did a good job outlining his subjective categories in order to be as objective as possible. It's a good listen.

Quote Originally Posted by gabes1 View Post
    1000%
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Who is Ken Duke and why should we care?

8. Member
    After listening to the episode, Ken did a good job of quantifying career statistics into a ranking list. He also stated that it would be hard to argue against that Wheeler may be on one of the most dominant runs, but it’s not fair to say he is already the greatest of all time.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post

He’s the only unbiased outdoor writer there is and uses facts, not opinions. Guys given some great podcast info about anything fishing.

Not a Klein fan at all, but he was AOY twice, and has 10 wins and has finished in the top 10 in an average of 1 in 5. He's fished 500 events, 100 top 10s is pretty good I think.
    Wheeler def not high enough.

11. Member
    He is the omniscient of professional bass fishing

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    He’s the only unbiased outdoor writer there is and uses facts, not opinions. Guys given some great podcast info about anything fishing.
    Don't do podcasts so if he's the only unbiased factual outdoor writer what's his take on FFS?

As far as the list - Ike? Edwin? Duckett?

Roland seems to high on the list to me and Clark Wendlandt????
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    Don't do podcasts so if he's the only unbiased factual outdoor writer what's his take on FFS?

As far as the list - Ike? Edwin? Duckett?

Roland seems to high on the list to me and Clark Wendlandt????
    Ike was right outside the top 20. EE was 11 and FBD is 83rd

14. Member
    If you listen to the podcast it’s hard to argue with him. It’s a list of greatest of all time, no accounting for future victories or length of career or anything else besides results. Sure, I’d shuffle a few names around for personal preference but it’s a solid list.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

15. Member
    the only problem with MLF Bass Pro tour Guys is that they are winning in a corrupt league. Also, not to mention fisherman pre 2010 are actually "FISHERMAN" compared to guys now, who can use electronics better than others. IMO you cannot compare the older guys to the new guys. People arent fishing anymore, they are catching and utilizing electronics and ability to have money to win tournaments. Where as before everyone was pretty much on the same playing field. Just an honest opinion.

How can you compare Roland Martin in the 80's having to read maps, his surroundings, figuring out fish without electronics, having to spend countless hours just to FIND fish whereas guys now can drop trolling motor in water and find fish within 30 seconds. to a Jacob Wheeler who can literally cut that time in half by using his livescope to find fish in brushpiles and not even make a cast becuase he knows the fish arent there? Its IMPOSSIBLE to compare. Jacob Wheeler is good at what he does in TODAYS WORLD, but Rick Clunn was good at what he did in the ORIGINAL DAYS. Comparing the 2 is impossible.

16. Member
    Nobody does care

17. Member
    I watched this last night. Need to maintain perspective. This isn't a judge of how good they were at their best or right now. It was their place in history for all time based on their accomplishments. Some of the younger guys have years left to gain on this list. I thought it was well done.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by josephsharpe99 View Post
    the only problem with MLF Bass Pro tour Guys is that they are winning in a corrupt league. Also, not to mention fisherman pre 2010 are actually "FISHERMAN" compared to guys now, who can use electronics better than others. IMO you cannot compare the older guys to the new guys. People arent fishing anymore, they are catching and utilizing electronics and ability to have money to win tournaments. Where as before everyone was pretty much on the same playing field. Just an honest opinion.

How can you compare Roland Martin in the 80's having to read maps, his surroundings, figuring out fish without electronics, having to spend countless hours just to FIND fish whereas guys now can drop trolling motor in water and find fish within 30 seconds. to a Jacob Wheeler who can literally cut that time in half by using his livescope to find fish in brushpiles and not even make a cast becuase he knows the fish arent there? Its IMPOSSIBLE to compare. Jacob Wheeler is good at what he does in TODAYS WORLD, but Rick Clunn was good at what he did in the ORIGINAL DAYS. Comparing the 2 is impossible.
    To me this is an easy easy answer. Because everyone has the same technology. Has the same opportunities. Does not matter if you are Wheeler, Watson, KVD, Roland, Brauer, Nixon.

IN THE ERA they fished they were succesful. No different than football, baseball, soccer etc. Football teams now would roll teams from the 70s & 80s. People are stronger, faster etc. But a superbowl win is still a superbowl win. PERIOD

Look at any sport that has progression: NASCAR, drag racing, offroad racing. I rest my case.

The list is very solid. Do believe it should be re-shuffled alittle but, Ken is always a great listen and insight!
    BassCat PIII
    Mercury 200 EFI

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by josephsharpe99 View Post

I got a bug up my ass about MLF and just pout all day. #Whambulance
    Proverbs 28:1

20. Member
    How do you place Hite 14th? A Pro who won two AOY, Bassmaster Classic, Forrest Wood Championship , and 8 major wins? Better move Hack down some...he is good, but what point system has Duke made up?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast