Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prescription Sunglasses: Progressive Lenses vs Lined Bi-focals

I have lined bi-focals for my regular eyeglasses. I want to get a nice pair of prescription sunglasses. Those of you who need help tying knots, do you prefer sunglasses with progressive lenses or lined bi-focals? Thanks!

I haven't had lined bifocals since the 90's. It takes a day or two to get used to the progressive lenses but you'll never regret it.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Progressive is the way to go, you'd be amazed at how much you do in that mid-range.. FWIW, my optometrist told me they can't do lined bifocals in polarized lenses. I'm assuming he would know.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Progressive is the way to go, you'd be amazed at how much you do in that mid-range.. FWIW, my optometrist told me they can't do lined bifocals in polarized lenses. I'm assuming he would know.
    Well, i have 2 pair of lines bifocal polarized sunglasses, one in hoat another in truck.
    Last edited by joefish; 04-18-2024 at 12:07 PM.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

5. Member
    I use contacts, so a little different. All my sunglasses have progressive “cheaters” in them. They are awesome! Find myself wearing them indoors for the effect. Best luck

6. Member
    I’ve had polarized progressives for 30+ yrs. Technology has come a long way. Lenses weigh much less and are much thinner.

I have used progressives for a long time. Wish they weren't so expensive.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    He's wrong. Just picked up some new Oakley polarized sunglasses with lined bifocals in them. I've been doing that pretty much yearly for a while, benefits cover it.

I tried the progressives 3 times. Hated them. Like looking through a keyhole.
    John

9. Scraps
    My first script pair were Maui's with readers. They were OK, but eventually I wanted a full script. With the readers I found myself having to get my eyes within range while driving the car and boat. Boat when graphing had to lean forward a lot. I like the full scripts better.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Maui Jim Progressives for me. Awesome glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Maui Jim Progressives for me. Awesome glasses.
    Ditto
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

12. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Been getting my no line prescription polarized sunglasses for years from my local walmart for years. Actually has a pretty good eye doc there
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

13. Member
    Another vote for Progressive.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jejb View Post
    He's wrong. Just picked up some new Oakley polarized sunglasses with lined bifocals in them. I've been doing that pretty much yearly for a while, benefits cover it.

I tried the progressives 3 times. Hated them. Like looking through a keyhole.
    Well, the reason I asked the question is because I tried progressives in my eyeglasses and when I used them while at my desktop computer, they warped it out of shape like a funhouse mirror, so I sent them back and had them made into lined bi-focals. When I got a new pair recently, the optometrist recommended lenses with two lines, so I have the bottom for up close reading and knot tying, the mid zone for viewing my computer over the width of my computer desk, and the upper for any longer viewing. They work well for me.

I already have a nice pair of WileyX prescription sunglasses in lined bi-focals with polarized grey lenses. I now want a second pair with the yellow lenses for low light conditions. I saw a pair of Hobie's at the Classic that I really liked (Sightmaster lenses) but they only offer them in progressive lenses. I also looked into getting another pair of WileyX's in the same frame I have now, but now they are only showing the option of progressive lenses. I will probably email or call them to see why they no longer show lined bi-focals as an option.

Considering my limited prior experience with progressive lenses, I just didn't know if they would work well for tying knots in smaller diameter clear fluoro line.

15. Member
    How much are you paying for prescribing glasses? I got a quote from Coasta Del Mar of $700 for sun glasses with just distance prescription. Looking for a cheaper solution
    Last edited by Whiteboat; 04-17-2024 at 11:10 AM.

16. Member
    I just went through this and spent a lot of $$ on progressive Costas with sunrise lenses. I'm not happy. I had prescription distance glasses (Ray-ban) that I liked before, but my prescription changed and I also wanted the reading option... Here's my thoughts:

1) Pick a flatter frame!!! The 8-base face-hugging frames do not do well with prescription lenses, but its even worse with progressive lenses. Pick a flatter frame with thick temples to block wind and sun.
    2) I'd go standard bifocal and ask them to lower the line 2mm. I have that in a pair of Wiley X safety glasses and it works great. I hardly know the bifocal is there, but it is if I need it. With progressives, things are only clear when you look straight ahead. When you scan with your eyes (not turning your head) things get out of focus... They say you'll get used to it, and you do, but I don't like it.

Progressive or bifocal seems to be a personal preference thing (as you can see from the responses). But our experience seem very similar and if I was doing it again, I would absolutely get a flatter frame with a lined bifocal!! Hope this helps you.

Steve

17. BBC SPONSOR
    I love my Oakley progressive lens sunglasses. They was a bit pricey, but I have to have glasses to see anything up close or far away anymore. They are also polarized.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebentpole View Post
    I just went through this and spent a lot of $$ on progressive Costas with sunrise lenses. I'm not happy. I had prescription distance glasses (Ray-ban) that I liked before, but my prescription changed and I also wanted the reading option... Here's my thoughts:

1) Pick a flatter frame!!! The 8-base face-hugging frames do not do well with prescription lenses, but its even worse with progressive lenses. Pick a flatter frame with thick temples to block wind and sun.
    2) I'd go standard bifocal and ask them to lower the line 2mm. I have that in a pair of Wiley X safety glasses and it works great. I hardly know the bifocal is there, but it is if I need it. With progressives, things are only clear when you look straight ahead. When you scan with your eyes (not turning your head) things get out of focus... They say you'll get used to it, and you do, but I don't like it.

Progressive or bifocal seems to be a personal preference thing (as you can see from the responses). But our experience seem very similar and if I was doing it again, I would absolutely get a flatter frame with a lined bifocal!! Hope this helps you.

Steve
    Yes, you are limited to a flatter frame -- can't have the true wrap-around style. For my prescription, I had to go with the WileyX Enzo frame instead of the Omega frame, but they have the facial seal and fit great. I bought them right after the Ft. Worth Classic and even though they gave me a $50 dollar discount at their booth, they still ran me about $455. Now they are no longer showing lined bi-focals as an option for that frame.

At the latest Classic, I stopped by the Hobie booth and they have a Bluefin frame that floats if you drop them overboard and they gave me a discount code to use, but I went to site of their prescription supplier and they will only do them in progressive lenses. Would still run me close to $500.

Both of those models have the thicker temple areas that block light from the side.

19. Member
    Optician dealers have options the web pages don't- another BBCer helped me with that.
    Costa did not offer Sunrise lenses with Trivex lenses on the website, but a Costa authorized optician could offer them. I would highly recommend Trivex lenses. I wear sunglasses for two reasons: sunlight management and eye protection. Trivex is lighter than glass and offers almost equivalent eye protection to polycarbonate, but with better optics.
    Be aware you're probably gonna be looking at around $900...
    Last edited by thebentpole; 04-17-2024 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Spellimng

20. Member
    Had lined went progressive switched back to lined like them better. My polarized lenses (3 pair) are lined.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast