Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Composite Decking

Has anyone used composite decking? I've been looking at different brands and the lines they offer within each brand. There isn't a ton of information out there on it so I figured I'd check with the BBC crowd. If you have used it which brand and line did you use? Pro's and Cons. Thanks.

Have installed a bunch. Cant recall names but the biggest pro is no maint.
    And make sure you use the recomended screws to attach.

3. Member
    i used it for the floor of the deck and the stairs, just because i got tired of staining the wood every year. so far after one year its good to go. i got he boards from lowes and im pretty sure it was the trex brand very easy to install
    2010 FX Skeeter

4. Member
    There is a cove by some condos on Ross Barnett that has the composite decking. I have no idea who installed it, how it was installed or how old it is but it's in the direct sunlight every day. That decking looks like a bag of Lay's potato chips with the exception of one thing....the potato chips are a lot less curled up and a lot less faded. That decking is all but white and no it didn't start out as white decking because you can see under the curled up boards and it originally was a dark brown.

I'll stick to real wood for my decking projects.
    Hi Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    There is a cove by some condos on Ross Barnett that has the composite decking. I have no idea who installed it, how it was installed or how old it is but it's in the direct sunlight every day. That decking looks like a bag of Lay's potato chips with the exception of one thing....the potato chips are a lot less curled up and a lot less faded. That decking is all but white and no it didn't start out as white decking because you can see under the curled up boards and it originally was a dark brown.

I'll stick to real wood for my decking projects.
    You can go real cheap or real expensive. The more common brands have 25-30 year warranties. I've done a lot of research but I can't find a lot of consumer input though. The contractors I've seen on Youtube and such all say don't go with the real cheap stuff though.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    You can go real cheap or real expensive. The more common brands have 25-30 year warranties. I've done a lot of research but I can't find a lot of consumer input though. The contractors I've seen on Youtube and such all say don't go with the real cheap stuff though.
    Yeah, the stuff I looked at I wouldn't use in a barn. It was horrible.
    Stephen Browning did catch a 5 pounder under that decking though
    Hi Mike.

7. Member
    There are many different types and quantity of decking. Some are slick as snot and some warp and fade. Some get so hot it's impossible to walk on barefoot. Be sure to research carefully before you buy.

8. Member
    I redid a side porch and huge deck that butted up to a pool. Looks terrific after three years and my only complaint is it gets extremely hot. In the direct sun you can’t go barefoot. Use hidden fasteners no screws showing.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Wolf decking, installed it on a dock six years ago and it looks like brand new. I will be putting it on a second dock later this summer. And yes, it’s expensive.

10. Member
    We put our Timber Tec down 19 years ago and it has not warped or faded and it pressure washes to looking almost new. The porch faces almost due south and gets a lot of sun.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

11. Member
    Got Trex on my 8 x 24 deck and staircases. Other than slick when wet and a little hot on bare feet I can’t find anything I don’t like about it. We also have a deck and staircase made with decking boards. It gets slick when wet also.

12. Member
    Fib-Ron….make sure your on 16” OC

13. Member
    I used Trex from Home Depot. I have no complaints. I also went 12" OC with the floor joists. I've seen some decking that sags with 16" OC. No idea what brand or how old it was.

14. Member
    I redecked a couple of years ago with Trex mid grade. My old deck boards were 20 years old. Composite decking will show a wave of the joists are not perfectly level. It gets HOT in sun, it is low maintenance not maint free. Things like mud stains do come off, but it takes some elbow grease not just squirt it off. I also replaced the railings with composite and aluminum.

Its not perfect and is EXPENSIVE, but I would not do wood again.

15. Member
    If you have a choice pour a concrete deck or patio ask me how I know!!

16. Member
    12” o.c. Joist .

Composite is nice. Several colors and beats the crap out of wood. Only thing, you will pay.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

18. Member
    I redid our 15x38 deck with Lowes composite board about 5-6 years ago, MoistureShield I believe. We went with grey. It is never slick. It is on the south side of the house and gets direct sun. Never been hot to walk on. I used hidden fasteners. We do pressure wash it every couple of years. Very happy with the project.
    John

I used this. It is solid (Not a laminate). They offer a version with slots in the side for unseen anchors for a cleaner look.
    Lumberock is Your Premier Water Proof Decking

Here is a pic-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowe Tahiti Deck Boat- Fish, Ski, Lounge- Rain or Shine

20. Member
    Fiberon brand is the least expensive and is made by Trex I believe. Wrap the outside band with PVC and order enough solid pieces for a picture frame border around the outside and use the hidden fasteners on the grooved pieces in the field. We pre drill the solids and install color matching plugs to hide the screw holes. You won't regret using composite. We also use joist tape but the jury is still out on that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast