Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sidescan and Down scan obsolete

I just saw a video that Wheeler released on FB where he has two live transducers on his jackplate and using them like you would sidescan. That got me thinking that traditional sidescan and downscan are basically becoming obsolete. Imagine all the information that FFS provides and being able to sit in the cockpit and scan.

Should the sonar companies start producing FFS only units with just mapping and 2d for the console?

2. Member
    No.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

No.

4. Member
    Lol, yeah no.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

5. Member
    In that same video he said he could live without the live on the rear and that sidescan was far superior for the rear of the boat.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

6. Member
    Nah. Honestly live transducers transom mounted are pretty limited, especially with them have no way of storing history.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

7. Member
    just a pro pushing the limits looking for an advantage. I would not give up sidescan nor now FFS. They are a tag team toolset. The history that sidescan gives you is very valuable and doesn't exist with "live"....
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    just a pro pushing the limits looking for an advantage. I would not give up sidescan nor now FFS. They are a tag team toolset. The history that sidescan gives you is very valuable and doesn't exist with "live"....
    I completely concur with this sentiment! Every item on the boat serves a distinct purpose and is essential for a successful day of trophy smallmouth bass fishing.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

he said its only effective 10%, he uses side scan for the other times. Sounds like its still got a solid place in his boat.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    That's the same thing as saying you are going to stop producing still cameras because we now have video cameras

I'm at my limit of one on the TM and a future universal joint special mount for perspective. Plus, I need a spot lock TM and the Power Pole covers it all except $. BOAT x 5

12. Member
    Outdated? Sure. Obsolete? No.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

13. Member
    Those rear mounted lives can transducers are an added bonus for pro anglers who cannot afford to let anything that might give them even the slightest bit of information go. For most mortals, that kind of thing is just overkill. Down and Side are perfectly adequate for most.

14. Member
    Not yet... Though I could sure see it getting there soon with some advancement of current tech.

15. Member
    Any hacks out yet to turn sidescan into forward facing? Just bought the sidescan last year and have not used it.

16. Member
    In my opinion side scan & ffs go hand in hand. Side scan for finding brush piles, structure & marking waypoints on them &’ Ffs for fishing them.

17. Member
    Downscan on the tm yes, other than that no

18. Member
    Since I got the Megalive and targetlock turret I find myself sitting at the console with the TM down and the turret set on a 130 degree sweep. Imagine having two turrets sweeping on both side of the stern too.

19. Member
    My guess would be ,lowrance, hb and garmin are all working on a live tranceducer made for the back.. in 5yrs all our current graphs will be obsolete. Technology is moving faster then ever.

20. Member
    No

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast