Trolling with LVS62

For those who like to troll and might enjoy seeing what is going on back there.
    I had a LVS34 mounted on the transom (facing backwards) that wouldn't show my lures very well and only somewhat if one was directly behind the transducer. After seeing some youtube videos of the LVS62, I decided to try it. It works great.
    Here are some pics.
    There is a pic of the lures, tadpole weights and a Rapala with about a 24" space between it, a crawler harness with about 24" space between it, and a crawler harness with about an 8" space between it.
    There is a pic of the poles with the center one directly over the transducer, the left is 5' or 6' from the transducer, and the right is about 4' from the transducer.
    There is a pic of the mount on the transom. It is the one for the LVS34 which is about 3/4" narrower than the LVS62. I was able to put a little white spacer on each side and get the 62 to fit. The corrugated circles are bigger on the 62, but it tightened up fine. The transducer sets about 2" below the water line and about 1 1/2" above the bottom of the hull. It doesn't throw any spray at speed.
    The rest of the pics show the 3 lures (and weights) at about 10', 14', and 17' deep.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowe Tahiti Deck Boat- Fish, Ski, Lounge- Rain or Shine

2. Member
    I don't read much about LVS for trolling. Guess maybe I'm not looking in the right places. I don't troll, but if I did you can bet I would have an LVS62 pointed forward to locate fish to troll through and then probably a PS31 pointed behind with the width set to 40 degrees to watch the lures. Then......what do I know. I don't troll.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Impressive how clean it looks and the lures stand out. What if you were to turn a little? Would they go out of the beam?

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Impressive how clean it looks and the lures stand out. What if you were to turn a little? Would they go out of the beam?
    Yes, they would go out of beam. But most of trolling time is done straight and they are visible. Looking at this chart of 20* angle/distance, they seem to show up well at the outer edges, which surprised me a little.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowe Tahiti Deck Boat- Fish, Ski, Lounge- Rain or Shine

Quote Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post
    Yes, they would go out of beam. But most of trolling time is done straight and they are visible. Looking at this chart of 20* angle/distance, they seem to show up well at the outer edges, which surprised me a little.

The spec sonar coverage angle degrees is based on the db loss from the center of the sonar pulse. Humminbird uses -10db to rate their transducers. Don't know what Garmin uses to rate their sonar's coverage. The sound does not cut off at that angle, the usable coverage is a lot more than the spec coverage at weaker sonar pulse strengths.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL