Gambler 209 Prop Question

Hoping to find someone who has a similar set up as me to try and figure out what prop i should be running on my boat. Or at least someone that can give me a idea of something that would be close. I got a 1995 Gambler 209 with a 2005 Evinrude Etec 225 HO. Has gambler plate and Atlas jack plate. Tempest, Trophy, Bravo, Raker??

2. Member
    Depends... I have a 225 ProXS so there's that. For speed 27p Trophy. For every day fishing with excellent rough water abilities 26p Fury4. The Fury will carry a load way much better than the Trophy. But moderately loaded a 27p Trophy does fine. If you have a ton of electronics w/FFS your best bet may indeed be the Fury. For decades I ran a 26p Trophy with great success. As I added more rods/reels to the rod lockers and more electronics to the bow the 26p Trophy would no longer carry the bow and struggled mightily to even get outta the hole.

3. Member
    I appreciate the info. I’ll have to give the trophy and fury a try. Have you ran any 3 blades on your boat as well or just 4 blades?

4. Member
    Yes, I tried a 3 blade fury(25p best I recall) when they came out. Best prop ever for putting a boat on the trailer. But... It was like hitting a wall at 72-73mph. Took forever to get to 75mph from there. Best speed with the 27p Trophy was 81.3mph solo and 79.9mph with co-angler. Oh... and... You absolutely must use a blow-out ring or the proper name, anti-cavitation ring, on the Trophy. And that is true regardless of what pitch Trophy you run. Without the ring the set-up becomes excessively load sensitive making it near impossible to set-up from full tank of fuel to 1/4 tank of fuel. It's been so long now that I've run a Trophy I don't recall the PVS configuration I used but you'll need to experiment with it until you get it dialed in. I went to the Fury because I fish Toledo Bend A LOT. The 4 blade Fury lifts the bow extremely well and because it's a big barrel prop with a flare on the end it does a good job of lifting the stern as well. Back before I added a FFS turret and a 12" HDS live to the bow the 27p Trophy would regularly hit 78-79 mph. The 26P Fury 4 would be in the 76-77mph range. But the Fury 4 excels as a rough water prop where the Trophy does not. So that's why I went with the Fury 4. Since those days as noted I added quite a bit of weight to the bow. Additionally I added a Grp31 electronics only battery in the rigging compartment. Plus I carry a lot more rods/reels and tackle than I used to. That said... Now, with the 26p Fury 4 max speed on good days is 75mph, maybe 76 going downhill.
    Last edited by yupitsme; 04-17-2024 at 05:03 AM.