Best Access for Livewell Pumps & Valves on 295 Pro XL

I've got problems with my Flow Rite livewell valves. They are attached to the livewell pumps down in the bilge. What do people find is the best way to access this area - (1) from behind the transom standing on a stool, (2) lying on the deck above after removing the rear cover (mine opens forward), or (3) something else?

The work doesn't look difficult but access looks like a real pain.

Also, any tricks to getting old barb fittings out of the livewell hoses? The ones there look to be many years old (I just bought the boat two years ago).

Thanks!
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL, 200 Mercury Optimax, 25p Tempest+

It's well worth the time to remove the back lid. Laying on the deck is much easier than standing on your head. Done both
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

3. Member
    Thanks - I was thinking that was best approach unless I couldn't reach deep enough from the back deck. It turns out the back lid hinge is attached to the boat with just 6 screws on each side so removing it should be easy.

I'm really surprised that (at least) one of my two brand new Flow Rite valves doesn't seem to be working right at all. Fixing/replacing it should be relatively easy (unless the screw coupling to the aerator pump is frozen). I'm going to order an Oetiker crimp tool and a bag of hose clamps. Then it's next week's project...
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL, 200 Mercury Optimax, 25p Tempest+