Pole is going down by itself

I fished a tournament yesterday, One of my poles starts going down slowly by itself a little bit at a time here and there within like 10 minutes it’s completely deployed. I looked at the pump reservoir. I saw some fluid on the outside. I wiped it down with the rag, couldn’t tell where it was coming from, but I noticed the cap was loose and once I took the cap off, I saw it had a crack on the side with this cause this to happen?

2. Member
    probably is low on fluid. cracked cap seems to be common. get a cap and fill and bleed it out again might be all it needs
    Last edited by mactlman; 04-15-2024 at 05:52 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. BBC SPONSOR
    None of the previously mentioned would cause a power pole to leak down...

If your power pole is leaking down it is because of the following.

1) An internal pump valve is not fully seating / closing. This can be caused by a piece of debiris, sludge etc. sticking the valve open allowing fluid to pass.
    2) The internals of the cylinder is damaged allowing fluid to pass.
    3) You have a leak in the line or a fitting. This would be easy to spot

Typically its #1

A Power Pole pump reservoir is not under pressure. A leaking reservoir or cracked cap would not have anything to do with a Power Pole leaking down. This same holds true with minn Kota Raptor.

To fix:

If it's in the valves you have 2 options:
    1) Dependning on what model / generation your Power Pole pump system is Power Pole can supply you with a set of valves. They are very simple to change and color coded. You will remove the pump from the boat and change out the valves. A call to Power Pole or Hydrilla Gear will get you set up.
    2) Call Power Pole tech support. Provide them with details, send them your pump to be serviced.

Prior to calling either, have your Power Pole model and serial number handy.

** If your Power Poles are older and you are running duals I would advise that you service both pumps at the same time.

Actually I will correct myself. The only time air would be an issue is if they are new / recently installed. With that said, after you cycle the Power Pole up and down half a dozen or so times all air would be removed from the system. Residual air in the hoses will also cause other noticable issues.

Rich 1-800-8-Fish-It
    954-917-0634