Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    how old are you? what's your trade? Look for jobs with the public school systems, universities, city, county, state, federal etc.. There are thousands of trade jobs in the public sector. You can almost always get competitive pay, benefits, paid sick days, vacation days, holidays, etc.. Most have pension programs and matching investments.. You can be home every night, weekends, holidays etc.. You won't get rich but can make a good living and as important get set up for retirement later in life.. I was a pipeline welder for many years after school until I figured out it totally sucked for family life and I would probably retire broke.. The switch was the best move I ever made. And now the retirement situation confirms it...

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I guess I'm just nuts but a week here is there doesn't sound like anything to get worked up about.
    I agree with you. I traveled on average 1-2 weeks per month for 25 years, sometimes being gone for 6-7 consecutive weeks but almost always being home on weekends. Sure, it caused some stress but we worked through it.

That was something my wife and I discussed before we were married. I was a surveyor, and I worked a lot of construction sites. When I first got married she would complain about my muddy clothes. I finally told her that she may not like washing my muddy jeans, but I really hated having to tromp through the sloppy mess. It was my job and it wasn't going change. She never said another word about it.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duncankopprichardson View Post
    A lot of guys that work for our company act like they don’t want to go out of town until they get a taste of the tax free per diem. Then they can’t get enough of of the out of town work. Gotta give them all the keep it between the lines speech….
    I’ve traveled for 15 years and don’t understand the appeal of per diem. My room has always been paid for and with the last job I was given cash for food and now I just buy food on the company card. The whole 150 a day per diem hype is a joke. My rooms typically cost at least that and I get my food paid for. Staying in a dump motel and eating bolognese sandwiches to make extra money isn’t a bonus. I just want to be at home which is why I left my last job of 11 years. Went from 200+ nights a year in a hotel to around 40.

I've travled way to much for Work
    And we have a huge job, They told me it was my Choice
    I'm leaving allot of money on the table, But I'm staying at home
    At this point in my Life I need more time over more money
    Last edited by ManxFishing; 04-15-2024 at 05:11 AM.

6. Member
    That’s between you and her. I find communication is the key. If you can’t discuss it without a fight then I’d advise a professional stepping in to help.

It’s either that or it boils below the surface until Jody comes along.

7. Member
    My wife always seemed to understand and rolled with my occasional work travel. I believe that now, she looks forward to me being gone!
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

It does suck but spouse must understand and accept unless she can make enough money to support the whole family.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

9. Member
    Thank goodness you’re not in the military. I know it’s tough to be gone all the time but 1 week at a time is a piece of cake.
    John the Garage Doorman

Funny, traveled domestically alot when I was younger she never had issue. Now occasional travel out of country on business, and she does not like it. Feel like I almost got divorced after my last trip. Got at least 1 visit to Europe this year.

To me its insecurity, I understand it. I mean after all.... I am a whole lot of man.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGCBAG View Post
    Maybe a week at the most
    I mean I guess it's good that she misses you but a week is nothing. Maybe she needs to get a hobby or some good friends to hang out with when you are gone.

12. Member
    This is exactly the reason I have not gone on the pro Elite or MLF tour.
    My wife and kids just wouldn't allow it.
    One other reason is I am not a very good fisherman.

13. Member
    I work out of town for Mon-Thursday have for 15 yrs. Its why we’re still married. I like free hotels and breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also enjoy the alone time. It makes us want too see each other.

14. Member
    I work Pipeline Construction in the summer and when on breaks from school. Traveling for work is part of that. My wife is a pipeliners daughter so she understands, but someone who didn't grow up with a father with that type of lifestyle probably would not. Now a week long fishing trip to Canada is a different story. Good luck and travel safe.

15. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    It could be lots worse... just think how mad she'd have been if you'd won the powerball and had to spend all of that money buying new boats for folks in the Lounge.

See... always a silver lining.
    Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    Thank goodness you’re not in the military. I know it’s tough to be gone all the time but 1 week at a time is a piece of cake.
    Mine would be without me from 3 months to 7 months during my 21 years. She became really self sufficient.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post

To me its insecurity, I understand it. I mean after all.... I am a whole lot of man.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

We always talk it out no matter what and it has worked through 40 years of marriage, 25 years of active-duty Navy (16 Deployments) and when I retired 2-3 trips overseas (Japan-Middle East 3months at a time) with Raytheon and have been doing that for 18 years. I am soo lucky She is my best friend on the planet, she makes my life complete. I'll say a prayer for you and hope that everything works out for you.

Spanky

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    Mine would be without me from 3 months to 7 months during my 21 years. She became really self sufficient.
    I was gone for more then 12 years out of the 20 that we were married while I was in the navy.
    John the Garage Doorman

I did the math recently. Just on normal shift days not counting OT shifts etc, I've been on duty at tge FD for 8 years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast