Jig fishn with HEAVY action rod??

I mainly throw, pitch,drag and hop along a 1/2oz and some 3/8oz jigs with a trailer on them. Mainly fish docks (skipping them) and like the 7'3" MH rod i have now but was thinkn bout buyn a HEAVY action rod in the 7-1 to 7-3 length for doing the same thing, just alil more power on hooksets. I mainly fish 17-20lb fluorocarbon line also.

What are you guys thoughts or experiences with this set up.

2. Scraps
    I’m thinking those length rods won’t have enough “ tip” for what you’re doing and you’ll be disappointed.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    I mostly pitch/flip with a heavy action rod. St. Croix legend tournament bass "power finesse" is my go to choice. It's 7'3" H XF, definitely feels like it's got more tip that an XF. I'd say it's somewhere between a MH and H, but more of a fast tip than XF. They also have a 7'3" H moderate fast action that's great. I have that model in the victory series and use it more for flip'n into pads and laydowns. That moderate fast action helps keep em pinned and the little extra tip helps casting.

4. Member
    I have a little harder time skipping with a heavy rod, but I haven't put the time in to get better at it since it works well enough with a med heavy.

5. Member
    I like the ALX Enox Strike for most of what you are describing. Only for 1/2 oz and up though. Skipping 3/8oz is definitely MH territory.
    2022 Falcon F195

6. Member
    Fished lots of rods for jigs over the years. Dobyns 784 Champion Elite is the best I’ve used.

7. Member
    Dobyns dock skipping rod is excellent. I'm only 5'7" and the 6'10" length is perfect for height challenged guys. Caught numerous bass under docks with this rod.

8. Member
    My jig & plastics rods are heavy action & i like it.

9. Member
    I use a 7'3" heavy action Abu Garcia Veritas for my jig fishing and it works great. Unfortunately I don't think they make that rod in a 7'3" heavy anymore.

10. Member
    Iv'e really been liking my 7'3 H Falcon Cara Amistead

It really depends on the brand as there is so much variation from one brand's H compared to another brand's. I use H in the brand I use with no issue.

12. Member
    I use a 7'0 heavy action for my general purpose jig rod. Usually use a 1/2 ounce jig with pork or plastic trailer. I like the stiffer tip for pulling the jig free from grass clumps.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

Like mentioned above, I usually have a harder time skipping with a heavier powered rod. If you can do it without any ill effects, seems like a good plan! Assuming you're going same brand/model here--if not, keep Mark's point in mind! I use a lot a Phenix rods where I am using a H for this stuff, but it fishes a lot more like others' MH.

Otherwise, you could always go with braid. The lack of stretch in braid has the effect of making more power, though there are of course other considerations. Metal dock posts and braid don't go together all that well. I'm actually using braid to a 16-20 lb leader on my setup for this to get the best of both worlds, though I know many hate the idea of leaders on casting gear, especially heavy ones.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

14. Member
    Dobyns 735 champion XP....

15. Member
    I primarily skip docks with a 1/2 oz jig, I use either a GLoomis IMX 855 JWR or a Megabass Levante Perfect Pitch, each has enough tip but a great backbone to pull the fish out of the dock. I used to use an IMX 854 JWR. but I would get wrapped up often not being able to horse them out.