Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Widest bow under 18'

HP and length restricted lake (90hp max. 18' max). This will essentially be my home lake and likely won't hit many places outside of it. Initially I was sold on the Stinger 178 due to the massive bow, but I'm not sure I'd need all the boat/motor for this particular lake (300 acres). I've considered the new Stinger 175's as well. The Rangers and Bass Trackers seem to get pretty narrow towards the bow. Are there other comparable brands that may boast a wider beam, but maintain more width at the bow?

2. Member
    Not sure under the 18' boat but I have 20' alumacraft xb200 (its the semi V) and it has a 97" beam I believe its one of the widest in that class. I would check the 18ft alumacraft it also might be a wide boat

3. Member
    I have a Polar Kraft Frontier 179 WT that has a 99” beam and is 17’-11” that’s powered by a ETEC 90 HO outboard. It’s top speed has been 42.2 mph.

Stinger 175. I think the largest motor you can fit on it is a 80HP and it would be a bit shorter than a 178 but would still have a much wider beam than say Tracker or Ranger. Matter of fact I think the Lowe rigs boast the highest sized bow out of all the aluminum brands on their Stinger models (Skorpion and Roughneck excluded)
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

5. Member
    This was my thought as well. As much as I'd prefer the 178, in all likelihood, it's just a lot of boat for a little lake that may not be worth the added cost.

6. Member
    Check out the Crestliner XF 179, I had the XF 189 and the beam width really carries forward. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a sub 18' tin any wider up front....

7. Member
    duplicate..
    Last edited by ncbass; 04-15-2024 at 11:10 PM. Reason: duplicate

My 2016 Lowe Stinger 175C front deck like dance floor great fishing platform!
    Lowe Stinger 175

Great boats overshadowed by Trackers…..No wood to rot a big plus
    Lowe Stinger 175

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncbass View Post
    Check out the Crestliner XF 179, I had the XF 189 and the beam width really carries forward. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a sub 18' tin any wider up front....
    I actually started my search with this. But I still think the Stinger has a bit more width at the bow. I'd probably need to see them side by side.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purduephigam View Post
    I actually started my search with this. But I still think the Stinger has a bit more width at the bow. I'd probably need to see them side by side.
    Just looked at the Stinger and you may be right, both boats should provide plenty of front deck...

12. Member
    Agreed. As noted above, it seems the 178 is far and away the widest platform. But you're paying for more things, larger motor which I probably don't "need." Cost benefit, the 175 is probably the better fit. Crestliner 179 is up there but I think it narrows more towards the bow than the Stinger.

13. Member
    I would go with the Lowe 178 with the 90, that will be a great boat if you decide to take it anywhere else as well.

14. Member
    Xpress H17, Crestliner 179 and G3 1710 all have pretty wide beams that stay wide passed the seating area

15. Member
    Find one wider than this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    There’s always a Ranger RT178 for sale on facebook marketplace for a deal. Just about any boat of decent quality in this size is going to be just fine. You won’t miss an inch or so. Go with what makes financial sense.
    2022 Ranger RT188, Mercury 115 Pro XS CT 2.38, 21p Tempest Plus

17. Member
    A jon style hull will likely have the widest front deck. An 1872 is probably the answer to your question.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonK94Z View Post
    There’s always a Ranger RT178 for sale on facebook marketplace for a deal. Just about any boat of decent quality in this size is going to be just fine. You won’t miss an inch or so. Go with what makes financial sense.
    In my opinion, this is the best answer. They are solid boats and an inch or so here or there will never be noticed. They are comfortable with a huge front deck and have a good storage layout. They are hard to beat for the money....if you have to consider a budget. Resale or trade in will be good too.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

19. #FRB
    The Lowe 178 looks to be about as beam forward as they come.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

20. Member
    Crestliner XF179! Always surprised by how wide the front deck is. I have a 2023 leftover here in PA thats a STEAL OF A DEAL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast