GMC Truck ( front end ) help.

2006 GMC SIERRA SLT 2wd. Recently developed a front end issue. Don’t know if I would call it the death wobble, but definitely some shaking going on (occasionally) almost seems like certain road conditions trigger it. I pulled my front tires off looking for something obvious. Everything seems to be tight. Had my tires balanced since this started happening and now it doesn’t seem as bad when it starts shaking. Wondering if the shocks would cause this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

How many miles on the shocks?

3. Member
    Possibly ball joints, jack the wheel up and put a large pry bar under the tire and pry up and down to see if there is any play in them. The tie rods, idler arm and pittman arm are notorious for wearing out on those as well.

Did you jack the truck up so tires were off the ground with truck supported by jack stands and try moving the tires up/down then left/right to see if you have any wiggle or slop.

How do the bushings look on the A Arms?
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

Check: all ball joints, upper and lower bushings, tie rod ends, center link, pitman arm, shocks, steering stabilizer if you have one.

More than likely it's your hub bearings.

7. Member
    Just a guess on miles on the shocks, I changed them a couple years ago and didn’t pay attention to the miles. I don’t drive the truck daily. I would guess about 10,000 miles. Yes I jacked up the truck, put it on jack stands and everything seems to be tight. Pulled tires to see a little better and nothing obvious. I didn’t pry the tires with a pry bar. Just tried shaking with tires still on the truck while the tires were of the ground.

8. Member
    I put the tires back on, with the tires off the ground I got a 6’ pry bar and no movement. Going to replace shocks and hoping that’s the problem. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help guys.

9. Member
    I had a bent wheel on my 2008 GMC.

10. Member
    Had that issue on my truck and it was the tires. Seemed like certain roads made it worse. Could not figure it out. Finally replaced the tires due to wear. The truck ran fine after that. I believe the belts must have shifted or something. Good luck getting it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    More than likely it's your hub bearings.
    There ya go.
    I was going to say the same thing. Those bearings don't hold up well. When mine went it even tore up the rotor. Wheel bearing/hub replaces as a single unit. I'll bet that's what it is.

Idler is a weak link on them but don't throw parts at it. Find a good alignment shop. Pay them an hour for a full report. Or throw parts at it.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

13. Member
    Had a similar problem with my 05 Silverado. Had already replaced hubs due to a bearing issue. New tires and had them check out the front end twice. I would hit a rough place in the road and think I was going to lose control of the truck. Replaced the front shocks and no more issues. Hope this helps.