Garmin Options Advice needed...:)

I am looking at getting a new boat and will be going with all new electronics and TM. I was initially going to go with bird but more I look at things I think I want to go with a force and garmin setup w/ a bird for m360 only. I am thinking of going with a 10" at the console and 12" at the bow along with the bird unit. I looked at the Echomap Ultra 2 and they appear to be pretty nice but I also know that the gpsmap units have more functionality but not sure what the major differences and if its worth the additional $$. Initially I would not run livescope but that would be added on in the future based on where I am fishing etc. Other option would be to skip m360 and just go with Live at the front of the boat.

Looking for any and all advice and which BBC sponsors may have the best pricing and deals, thanks. :)

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If you thinking of the 86xx series and they are more than you want to pay look at the 1243xsv....ues you get more "features" but most wouldn't be used on a bassboat....but have better hardware....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    If you thinking of the 86xx series and they are more than you want to pay look at the 1243xsv....ues you get more "features" but most wouldn't be used on a bassboat....but have better hardware....
    Thanks, yeah the echomap ultra2 looks pretty nice I just now there were some additional features in the gpsmap line but wasn't sure if any would matter.

One of the things I think I saw from one of your older postings was that you could only network like to like, that a gpsmap would not network to a echomap unit, is that accurate. That right there will probably steer me to the echomap ultra 2 units...wish they had a rebate like bird currently has..:)
    Last edited by bishoptf; 04-12-2024 at 11:00 AM.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    That is correct on networking.....the Ultra 2 pick up some new features that are not on the original Ultras....like screen record, saving settings, etc....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    That is correct on networking.....the Ultra 2 pick up some new features that are not on the original Ultras....like screen record, saving settings, etc....
    Yeah I just wasn't sure if there were any features in the gpsmap models that I would want. Another question I thought I read that I could have my Mercury vessel view show up on the console unit, is that correct. If so that is probably going to seal the deal and I will get a larger unit for the console.

Thanks

6. Member
    I want to run a force TM but also have Mega 360, anyone know of who is making a mount for the mega 360 to mount to the force TM?

I see several out there anyone like the ones they have, hard to know which one to go with\.
    Last edited by bishoptf; 04-15-2024 at 09:51 AM.

7. Member
    I'll be watching this thread for sure. Next year I'm buying a new set-up also. Likely going with an Apex 19 at console and Apex 15 and 1643 up front. Can't pass up that side scan and mapping of the birds, but with changing technology I'm really starting to pay close attention to what can pair with what. Sounds like Garmin locks you down to stick with either 86XX or 12XX.
    2017 Ranger Z520C
    250 Evinrude ETec With Marks HP Prop
    4 Garmins 7610 xsv with Live Scope
    10 foot Power Poles
    Dobyns Rods

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadof4 View Post
    I'll be watching this thread for sure. Next year I'm buying a new set-up also. Likely going with an Apex 19 at console and Apex 15 and 1643 up front. Can't pass up that side scan and mapping of the birds, but with changing technology I'm really starting to pay close attention to what can pair with what. Sounds like Garmin locks you down to stick with either 86XX or 12XX.
    Yeah but I think with the new garmin transducer gt56 they have closed the distance with side and down imaging to where its not worth the hassle with messing with Birds at least to me. Humminbird used to be the leader imho and I really think Garmin is these days and they don't nickle and dime you to death like bird, again imho. The only thing they don't have is a 360 and going to have one of those on the front but its going to be garmin for all the rest.