Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    When it comes to being a sarcastic smartazz, I'm probably one of the worst offenders here but I can be serious too. I'm with RB here. When the doc comes in, I'm going to be fairly quiet and let them do their job. One component of their job is to ask questions of the patient to assess the state of their health. Maybe whacking your knees and elbows with the reflex hammer is of limited value but it was part of an info gathering process that's generally lacking now. A basic blood panel CAN be a valuable tool but it doesn't find everything and pointed questions are still probably the best method of evaluating a patient.

If you're lucky enough to have a good primary care doc then you have some degree of continuity and they can see changes in your body as problems develop. But when a doctor is booked 6 months out or more it can be nearly impossible to have that doctor see you when you have a concern. In many cases it's become more like oil change centers--just push 'em through and keep the volume where it needs to be.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

2. Member
    Maybe, there is some pre condtions in our DNA, but most people (including me) eat too much, the wrong stuff and don't burn more calories then we take in. It's not complex. But when so many should weight 160 and the weigh 300, it is hard on the body. Not all that different it you double the weight of your vehicle expect a shorter life span on the transmission, engine, brakes etc.

I'm fat. i eat wrong and don't exercise. I wont be 90, in a hospital bed with anyone wondering why I'm dying. It's going to be at work and someone will come around the corner to find me on the floor and cold. And no one well be all that shocked..
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    This is THE issue. I worked in healthcare industry for over 30 years. I worked on equipment in offices and clinics as well as hospitals. Go to any office at lunchtime and watch what happens. A drug rep will bring in a big spread of food for the whole staff to get or keep the drug business
    Those spreads ended many years ago. There are very strict rules about those type of things now.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basshammerwannabe View Post
    Yeah in a field that should not have room for error ( i know things happen and everyones human) it seems ive heard more and more stories of mishaps as of lately..

1 example.. Buddy of mines 3 year old daughter had a fever that wouldnt go down took her to Duke Hospital, after a couple days told my buddy your daughter has cancer.. kept her there obviously and after getting treatments set up 4 days later found it was a ruptured appendix.. no cancer.. thank God they did figure it out though
    rb, I agree with you. The days of having a general practice family Dr. are numbered due to mostly the aca IMHO. Basshammer, we just went through this with our 4 yo daughter. We thought she picked up a bug from preschool. By the 3rd day of her feeling crummy and her fever getting up to 102 we took her to urgent care. Dr. never touched her or listened to her breathing. He simply dismissed it as a cold. My wife made an appt. next morning with our daughters primary Dr. she tried to call them to ask a few questions before the appt. and was on hold for 40 minutes. So we decided to take her to the ER where my wife works as a CT tech. 6 hours later after multiple tests and a catscan they transported her via ambulance to a different hospital. Ruptured appendix, large abscess that had to be drained before they could do an actual appendectomy. Drain tube had to be routed through her rectum due to how large it was. After the abscess was finally drained she developed 2 fluid collections and had to have another drain put in to alleviate those. In the hospital for 12 days, and she still has to have an appendectomy on May 3rd which will be done laproscopically.

5. Member
    You know what you call a person who graduated at the bottom of his class? Doctor.
    Proverbs 28:1

6. Member
    I have a Doctor that takes his time looking through lab results and past history with me.
    He is always hurried as with most of them, but makes sure all is covered and that all my issues have been addressed.
    I went to several before I got hooked up with him and glad I went through the process to find him.
    If you don't like who you have, try another if you have that option.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Maybe, there is some pre condtions in our DNA, but most people (including me) eat too much, the wrong stuff and don't burn more calories then we take in. It's not complex. But when so many should weight 160 and the weigh 300, it is hard on the body. Not all that different it you double the weight of your vehicle expect a shorter life span on the transmission, engine, brakes etc.

I'm fat. i eat wrong and don't exercise. I wont be 90, in a hospital bed with anyone wondering why I'm dying. It's going to be at work and someone will come around the corner to find me on the floor and cold. And no one well be all that shocked..
    It is MUCH more complex than calories in vs. calories out.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drainplug View Post
    The exam nowadays is you, doc & laptop with questions read from the insurance list. Then send for bloodwork and a referral anything outside of vanilla. I have see the same guy for maybe 25 years. He has been forced to change the way doctors operate their practices.
    Yep, doctors arent allowed to be doctors anymore, the insurance companies are our healthcare system. And people thought the death panel theories were dumb, after what weve seen since covid they better think again.
    On a good note, there seems to be a trend of small offices opening up that dont take insurance and treat people great. Theres one here that opened and its around 100 a month and you can go whenever and ive heard great things about her. So far i still like my regular doc. Its a little rushed when I go but whenever ive had a question or issue its always addressed and they arent pill pushers for every issue. The NP is great and she treats patients great so unsless something changes i will stay.

9. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    People are so obsessed with weight loss and think that every disease known to man is because of being overweight. Couldn't be further from the truth. I've been there, done that.

Have some genetic testing done and find out what your metabolic type is, what you should or shouldn't be eating and support with the appropriate supplements. Best thing you can do for your body.

Not many old fat people and not many of the top causes of death aren't related to obesity
    Thanos was the hero

10. Member
    I just lost a GP that we had for over twenty years to retirement. He was a very caring man and we are scheduled to see the Dr. that replaced him. Unfortunately he sold to a corporation and I fear it will never be as good.
    RB the average Dr. in any size town is seeing 3,000 patients a year. If you want old fashioned caring and competence you may have to go to a concierge Dr. who charges a flat rate of two or three thousand a year and will give you personalized service. They generally only take no more than 400 patients. I have seen the great tasting meals that you cook. I ate like that all my life and now am seeing a cardiologist in my old age for heart issues. I would consider that you get a check up with one and start a relationship with a good one as you may need him as you get older.

11. Member
    My wife figured out that her foot doctor makes like $60 per visit.

12. Member
    For most of them it’s all about the number of patients versus providing personal medical service and care. It’s all about stacking the appointments up and not scheduling enough time with each patient. This is the reason you show up for a 1pm appointment but don’t get seen until 2:30pm. IMO the medical community has forgotten that they are a service industry. It annoys the shit out of me, my time is no less valuable than theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Not many old fat people and not many of the top causes of death aren't related to obesity
    Granted.

I never said anything about obesity. I said being overweight. Not knowing your metabolic type and having the wrong diet based on that can be just as detrimental as being obese. RB said he lost over 60 lbs, blood pressure and sugar was so low he was weak. You think that's healthy?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

14. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Unless you're wealthy and can have concierge medical service, you are better off to look for alternatives to modern medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Those spreads ended many years ago. There are very strict rules about those type of things now.
    The tinfoil hat wearer inside me doesn't doubt the blatant spreads ended altogether but there's just too much $$$ at stake to think that nothing isn't taking place behind the scenes. It's human nature.
    Ranting incoherently

You get out of life what you put into it. This includes doctor's visits. I'm not sure why - with health being the most important thing in our lives AND how long it takes to get an appointment scheduled you would just sit there and let the doctor do his/her routine without your input.

I probably have just as average GP's as anyone else, but I talk my azz off each visit asking tons of questions and going through the different options. My 15-minute time allocation ends up being double, but it's a much more productive visit and I have to say my GP is actually a good doctor but he' probably regressed to going through the motions after all these years.

It takes two to tango. If you leave things to chance, chances are your chances of resolving issues will be a blind dart throw. Take your health seriously and demand better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Unless you're wealthy and can have concierge medical service, you are better off to look for alternatives to modern medicine.
    Just stopping eating the shit food that is pretty much 95% of any modern supermarket would do wonders for so many people but food is addictive by design. In the end it's nobody's fault but their own as nobody forces you to eat Pop Tarts at gunpoint. The classic wanting your cake and eating it too.
    Ranting incoherently

Quote Originally Posted by drainplug View Post
    The exam nowadays is you, doc & laptop with questions read from the insurance list. Then send for bloodwork and a referral anything outside of vanilla. I have see the same guy for maybe 25 years. He has been forced to change the way doctors operate their practices.
    exactly unfortunately. My doc quit because of it. It all started with Obama care.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Quote Originally Posted by novakevlar View Post
    You get out of life what you put into it. This includes doctor's visits. I'm not sure why - with health being the most important thing in our lives AND how long it takes to get an appointment scheduled you would just sit there and let the doctor do his/her routine without your input.

I probably have just as average GP's as anyone else, but I talk my azz off each visit asking tons of questions and going through the different options. My 15-minute time allocation ends up being double, but it's a much more productive visit and I have to say my GP is actually a good doctor but he' probably regressed to going through the motions after all these years.

It takes two to tango. If you leave things to chance, chances are your chances of resolving issues will be a blind dart throw. Take your health seriously and demand better.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP

Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Just stopping eating the shit food that is pretty much 95% of any modern supermarket would do wonders for so many people but food is addictive by design. In the end it's nobody's fault but their own as nobody forces you to eat Pop Tarts at gunpoint. The classic wanting your cake and eating it too.
    yep!

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast