Help ! Trailer won't back up

Hi all ,
    I have a 2021 Phoenix 920 pro xp . I pull it with a 2016 Chevy Silverado Duramax and am having issues backing up. Trailer brakes lock up when it's put in reverse. I also have noticed that the reverse lights aren't coming on the trailer when it's in reverse , but the truck lights are. The fuse seems fine as well as I think I am getting voltage to the trailer. ( Used a crappy voltage meter ) Does anyone have any ideas to try ? Thanks !

2. Member
    The two instances when this occurred with my old 2001 Ranger 522DVX were due to the reverse lockout solenoid failing from age, and the solution was to have my boat dealer replace the replace the solenoid. Another frequent issue is the boat trailer's ground not functioning correctly, which is worth checking. Ever since my initial reverse lockout solenoid failure, I've kept a magnetic surge brake lockout key in both my Toyota Tundra and each of my bass boats. They come in a two-pack, so you're covered for your setup. The main challenge is to remember to remove the lockout key from the boat trailer when you're ready to depart from the boat ramp. I once left the magnetic lockout key attached, yet it stayed in place even after a journey of over 100 miles from the flowage back to my lake cabin. So, it's probable that if you forget to take it off before leaving the boat ramp or your home, it will remain securely attached.

Good luck with resolving your issue!

Amazon Link: Amazon.com: Noa Store Surge Brake Lockout Key for UFP Surge Brake Trailer - Magnetic with Heavy Duty Strap - Side Brake Lockout Bracket Compatible with - A-60, A-75, A-84 (Pack of 2) : Automotive
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

3. Member
    Check your trailer tow fuse. Probably blown. The lights should come on and release the reverse solenoid. Otherwise you need to jam a coin in the actuator slide to keep it from locking up. I think it was nickel sized. You should see it directly behind the ball.

4. Member
    if your truck reverse lights are not working then somethings wrong with that circuit and it’s not releasing your brakes on the trailer
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    This just happened to my buddies Chevy. The fuse is located under the hood. I think it was position 16 or 19 in the fuse block. If that fuse is okay (10 amp) then you have to see if there is power at the plug on the truck. If there is then start with the pigtail and work back to the trailer. Could be the solenoid, see if there is power at the blue wire etc. I bet it's just the fuse. By the way, my Buddie swore the fuse was okay and to me it looked bad. Switched it out and that was it. Change it even if it looks okay.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

6. Member
    Plugged my dad's truck as well as a buddies and all works with their vehicles so I'm almost confident it's my truck. Upon looking the fuse seems to have a lot of play when plugged in. Have power going to the fuse and have power at the connection. 12 volts. Dad's truck has 14. I wonder if it must have 14 for the reverse lights and brakes to work ? Gonna have to find a way to make that fuse fit a little more snug. Seems whoever owned the truck before me could have had problems and chipped away at where the fuse plugs in to giving it the play it has now?

7. Member
    There must be a mechanical lockout for your trailer. If your reverse lockout is electrical, it’s likely compromised. Folding tongue? Check your wires for abrasion and look for your mechanical lockout.

12volts doesnt mean the circuit is good. Would need to test with a load. Since it works with the other trucks Unplug the 7 way connector on the truck and check voltage into the 7way
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

9. Member
    More than likely the fuse on the truck. That was what happened with my 2014 Sierra. They make a magnetic lock out key you can get as well to get you out of a jam. I keep one in my truck console.
    Last edited by gray7340; 04-11-2024 at 09:25 PM. Reason: bad link

10. Member
    This just happened to me with my 2020 ram and 2023 basscat. All fuses were good on my truck and boat trailer wiring was intact and working on my dad's truck. Reverse pin is the center pin on the 7-pin receptacle on your truck bumper. When they built my truck and plugged the truck wiring harness into the 7-pin receptacle they bent the reverse wire pin and it never made contact. I took the receptacle off the harness, straightened the pin, plugged it back in and all works.

11. Member
    Check your trailer plug receiver on your truck. I had this exact issue and one of the prongs was slightly bent out and not making good contact with the trailer plug.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

12. Member
    Ground wire.