Thread: Baylor U

Baylor U

Any of you Texas folk excited about Scott Drew leaving Baylor? General consensus around here is he an ok hire for UK but nothing to write home about.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

2. Member
    If I was him I’d stay at Baylor. That school has been loyal to him for 20+ years. UK will never offer that.

But like anything it is a business, I just hope UK gets someone who studies and knows the game, a tactician who can use a game plan to win against a better team rather than simply relying on talented players.

Watch Dan Hurley, he knows how to coach, knows the intricacies of the game. Not enough just to be a recruiter or motivation speaker, you need to know the game and know how to prepare to win.

Arkansas will get an immediate infusion of talent, and get some nice wins at first, then the sugar high will go away and reality will set in.

Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    If I was him I’d stay at Baylor. That school has been loyal to him for 20+ years. UK will never offer that.

But like anything it is a business, I just hope UK gets someone who studies and knows the game, a tactician who can use a game plan to win against a better team rather than simply relying on talented players.

Watch Dan Hurley, he knows how to coach, knows the intricacies of the game. Not enough just to be a recruiter or motivation speaker, you need to know the game and know how to prepare to win.

Arkansas will get an immediate infusion of talent, and get some nice wins at first, then the sugar high will go away and reality will set in.
    Could be Hurley at this point.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    Could be Hurley at this point.
    Yep, I saw in another post that KY offered Hurley 132 million!

5. Member
    I think at best they get Billy Donovan. I don’t see jay wright, or Hurley accepting the offer.

If Donovan is a no go, maybe go after a young gun up and coming trying to make his mark. Even if it’s someone who most are unfamiliar with, sometimes those guys are the better option .

One last thought, just a hypothetical because I know it will never happen. What about recruiting a top brass coach from the women’s side? Geno, dawn staley, etc. it would be interesting.

6. Member
    Just saw Mark Pope being mentioned now.

7. Member
    It doesn't matter who they hire. As long as they continue to recruit "one and done" kids who are just waiting to jump to the NBA they will not win any more championships. As per Hurley's recent interview he looks for kids that are serious about the school and the program and not just themselves.

Lots of mentions but little action now, I thought for sure Hurley was for sale. Pearl is at the bottom of the list I saw and Billy D was at the top. The BBN has lost is luster.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

If you steer away from the one & dones and bring in 3 to 4 year players, that pan out, they will enter the portal after a couple of years for more money. Throw a bunch of money toward UConn's players, or shop for Jr and Sr players with experience, and put Kentucky jerseys on them. Alabama's key players were transfers. Got to love what "college" basketball has turned into.

10. Member
    Gonna start seeing calls for Barnhart's firing. He said no to going after more NIL money. NBA light, if you want to win you're gonna have to pay. It is ridiculous what college sports has become.

11. Member

12. Member
    Mark Pope from BYU rumored to be the leading candidate now?! Going from being a KY player to a leader of a Mormon institution that abstains from alcohol back to the land of moonshine stills. What a journey.

13. Member
    Reed Shepard hasn't said what he's doing next. Pope and Jeff Shepard were roommates and best friends at UK. Hhhmmm?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    It doesn't matter who they hire. As long as they continue to recruit "one and done" kids who are just waiting to jump to the NBA they will not win any more championships. As per Hurley's recent interview he looks for kids that are serious about the school and the program and not just themselves.
    yet one of their starters, maybe two were transfer portal one and dones. I am a UConn fan so not hating. Hurley and his assistants just seem to have figured out this whole transfer portal, NIL mess better than others.

15. Member
    Just saw that pope........... does not have a single NCAA tournament win..............

Pope had some signature wins this past season just didn’t make the ncaa. I think Reed returns and this becomes his team to run.
    With that being said I don’t know if I’m more surprised by the hire or how fast it happened. As mentioned above nil and portal have negatively impacted college basketball for the everyday fan.

I hope Mark does well but I expect some challenges for the next few years and there could be a new AD on the horizon, they’ve been calling for his firing for several football and basketball seasons now.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

17. Member
    I'd like to see an ex-UK player coaching UK. I think the days of luring a top coach to a program on $$ only is gone. If they make 103M going to 132M is not a draw. They have to ask do I want the job, does it motivate me. I can see many things about coaching the cats would be a negative to many coaches. An ex UK player at least is part of the family. May not win many games until they develop a good style and recruiting strategy that works but would be fun to watch.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947