Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anschutz .22 rifle

Any Anschutz fans here. Picked up a rifle from a shooting buddy and just trying to get history / specs etc.

Only real numbers I Can see is a 68 on the barrel near the action and 71199 on the action.

Any ideas?

2. Member
    Well after a little more looking "removing the scope" its a model 54 super match. Appears to be made in 68 now that I've read the stamp on the barrel is the year.
    Last edited by Axkiker; 04-10-2024 at 09:59 PM.

3. Member
    Fine rifle…..E

WOW !! That’s a great find !! My main shooting friend has a tremendous 22 rifle collection and he has several variations of Anchutzs. They are fine 22s…
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    WOW !! That’s a great find !! My main shooting friend has a tremendous 22 rifle collection and he has several variations of Anchutzs. They are fine 22s…
    IF nothing else its pretty lol. should be able to find out this weekend how well it shoots. Have several brands of ammo to give a go.

6. Member
    Annie's shoot very well from what I have heard.

7. Member
    I have one buried in the back of the safe. I've never fired it, but it's not NIB. SS heavy barrel , 2 matching positional stocks, it's from the mid 70's. Heavy piece of equipment for .22

Axkiker...post a pic
    Last edited by XXXLTRP; 04-13-2024 at 08:08 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XXXLTRP View Post
    I have one buried in the back of the safe. I've never fired it, but it's not NIB. SS heavy barrel , 2 matching positional stocks, it's from the mid 70's. Heavy piece of equipment for .22

Axkiker...post a pic
    Here ya go. Ignore the mess

https://share.icloud.com/photos/043E...PoqDg9NTNBbYlA

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0f60...4bU7zFpk6JROnw

Fiddle farting with scope mounts etc.

Very nice !! These old guns will shoot. I shot a 22 match yesterday and got beat by a 1950 Winchester 52B …. By one point.
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Very nice !! These old guns will shoot. I shot a 22 match yesterday and got beat by a 1950 Winchester 52B …. By one point.
    I'm anxious to shoot it. Working out the scope combinations etc etc. Not sure ultimately what happens to this. Depending on how I like the stock it might end up in a chassis.

Im new to all this so learning as I go.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Nice!

Mine is in a glass stock, I'll post pic when I dig it out.

12. Member
    My dad still has his Anschutz .22
    It was a gift from mom to him while they were dating in the 60's.
    All I know is the roll mark says made in East Berlin (might be East Germany, can't recall).
    It's a nice rifle and has a nice trigger.

edit: Or maybe it was "West Germany"??. Now my interest is peaked and I need to look. I thought it was the commi side but I'm probably wrong.

edit: West Germany. Not the commis (LOL). Savage by Anschutz.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by djb750; 04-15-2024 at 02:52 PM.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

13. Member
    That is a very fine rifle you got there.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    My dad still has his Anschutz .22
    It was a gift from mom to him while they were dating in the 60's.
    All I know is the roll mark says made in East Berlin (might be East Germany, can't recall).
    It's a nice rifle and has a nice trigger.

edit: Or maybe it was "West Germany"??. Now my interest is peaked and I need to look. I thought it was the commi side but I'm probably wrong.

edit: West Germany. Not the commis (LOL). Savage by Anschutz.
    I gotta do some research. Mine doesn't say anything about Savage but does shows made in West Germany.

History of stuff like this is half the fun to me.

What are your thoughts on the sight rail? I have an adapter which will convert it to the picatinny style and has 20m built in. I just don't like having anything additional on top of the rail. I'm just someone who likes to minimize the amount of fasteners etc. Also screws with ring height. My scopes for the most part are 34MM tubes which you don't seem to find many rings for which will fit that 11mm rail. (I think its 11mm??) Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. My CZ has a flat top so I might just drill and tap it for the pic style vs using the adapter. Unsure

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I gotta do some research. Mine doesn't say anything about Savage but does shows made in West Germany.

History of stuff like this is half the fun to me.

What are your thoughts on the sight rail? I have an adapter which will convert it to the picatinny style and has 20m built in. I just don't like having anything additional on top of the rail. I'm just someone who likes to minimize the amount of fasteners etc. Also screws with ring height. My scopes for the most part are 34MM tubes which you don't seem to find many rings for which will fit that 11mm rail. (I think its 11mm??) Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. My CZ has a flat top so I might just drill and tap it for the pic style vs using the adapter. Unsure
    Same here. I also want to minimize additional fasteners etc.
    That rifle is at dad's house, but he said it came with the mounting rail that's on there. I just don't have any good images of it.

The scope that's on there now was added maybe 10 years ago?? the scope that came on it had a slightly larger eyepiece, but otherwise same diameter tube all the way to the objective, which was about the diameter of a sharpie!

He upgraded that scope after years of doing these yearly rabbit hunts in Craig, Colorado with my uncle and cousins from Denver.
    Last edited by djb750; 04-16-2024 at 11:29 AM.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

16. Member
    Here's mine. Closest thing I have to a safe queen. It's been used, stocks have some use marks here and there, action and barrel are nearly flawless to my eye. The scope is a straight 20x Redfield. It was used in the 70s as a Jr. Olympics Rifle. The Lyman peep sights are tucked away in the closet.
    AS1.jpgAS2.jpg

17. Member
    Here's mine. Closest thing I have to a safe queen. It's been used, stocks have some use marks here and there, action and barrel are nearly flawless to my eye. The scope is a straight 20x Redfield. It was used in the 70s as a Jr. Olympics Rifle. The Lyman peep sights are tucked away in the closet.
    AS1.jpgAS2.jpg
    That is a cool rifle. The exterior of mine is dang near perfect. Im picky and its hard to point out stuff wrong. I however scoped the barrel today and I can see a few patches of what's either old rust pitting or maybe just porosity in the steel. Guessing its just from condensation over the years etc. Itss very light and minor but still sucks as the rifling etc is really really nice.

Out of curiosity what are you torquing your action to when putting it back in the stock?

18. Member
    I don't know the torque specs, they may be in my grandfathers books as he wrote everything down. I've never swapped the stocks. The scope is only on there for safe storage, it is no longer zero'd either.

19. Member
    AS1.jpgAS2.jpg
    Extremely cool rifle!!
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

I don't know the torque specs, they may be in my grandfathers books as he wrote everything down. I've never swapped the stocks. The scope is only on there for safe storage, it is no longer zero'd either.
    For a non-pillar bedded wood stock I would not go over 40 inch pounds….
    www.ncboatguy.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast