Hard start, no power

Etec 250- E250DPLSOC

Put a used Powerhead on, along with a new adapter plate. Got everything hooked up and got it started on the muffs (hard to start, figured it was air in the fuel lines from having it apart. Idled rough once it started but seemed to smooth out some the more it ran. Took it to the lake tonight and again very hard to start, turns over would fire and run for 2 seconds and die. Primer bulb was soft so squeezed that and got it firm. Cranked and fired several more times before it finally idled. Idled rough again. If I increased the rpm slightly it wasn't so rough. Tried to get on plane but wouldn't get over 2000 rpm and seemed very boggy. If I put it in neutral it would rev up better but not great. Pulled plugs and they are very dark and sooty, they were new and indexed when I mounted the Powerhead. Assumed it's from the fogging oil I put in the cylinders before ever turning it over.

To me it seems like it's out of timing (put my EMM from my blown motor into this used Powerhead)

I did upload the dat files for all the injectors

When I had it running on the muffs I dropped spark a cylinder at a time and on #4 when I did it the motor stopped, on the others it just sounded off and wanted to die.

Not sure where to go from here so any help is greatly appreciated.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

2. Member
    Update, went to the lake again today and was messing around with stuff and noticed lack of exhaust coming out of the prop especially at idle. Brought it home and dropped the lower unit and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when I looked up the exhaust housing. Reassembled the lower unit and hooked it up the hose and had good exhaust coming out of the prop. Took it back to the lake and things were better but still sluggish and idled rough. I'm thinking something has to be wrong with a gasket or seal somewhere but not sure where. Any suggestions?
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What does EVdiags say? Did you install the correct adapter plate gasket?

4. Member
    Nothing shows up under EV Diag. I installed the gaskets that came with the new adapter plate and a new Powerhead base gasket. Everything looked correct based on how the old ones were. No passages were blocked.

I could get on plane but took awhile and maxed out at 5000 rpm and 52mph. I'm going to pull plugs tonight and see if they all look correct from running. Almost feels like an injector or plug isn't actually firing even though the static tests and dynamic tests make it seem like they are.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

5. Member
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

6. Member
    I've posted on the ETECownersgroup site as well. Haven't had much luck there.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

7. Member
    Pulled plugs after work today. These were new before running the motor yesterday on the lake. #5 plug has an oily residue when compared to the others. Bottom right in the pic. When I do the dynamic test and drop spark to each cylinder they all caused the motor to stumble, should I swap a coil from my old Powerhead?PXL_20240415_213726276.MP.jpg
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

8. Member
    All cylinders have right around 120psi during a compression test when motor was cold.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

You are not getting fire to that cylinder, I would swap the coil, plug wire and a new plug to start with! You could use a timing light to verify spark.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

10. Member
    Swapped an injector and coil from old Powerhead and ran the motor on muffs. Still somewhat hard to start but did seem to idle better. I dropped spark to cylinder 5 and the engine stumbled then picked back up when I cancelled that. Motor also stumbled when I shut injector 5 off, picked back up when I reinstated it. Hopefully take it to the lake tomorrow and run it and see what happens.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

11. Member
    Went to the lake tonight and ran the boat. Still hard to start, 5 or so times it would start and run for a second or two then quit. Once it got over that it idled great. Running better but still not quite right, holeshot was pretty poor and would only get to 5200 rpm. Pulled plugs when I got home and all looked good, none were wet or black and sooty. Wondering if throttle cable needs adjusting, but when I push the hot foot the butterflies all open completely. The plastic roller is on the arm for the throttle, how much space should be between the roller and the arm for the throttle?

I also noticed some oil in the bottom of the air box, probably a few ounces. Is that normal? I do have the motor set for break in so it is getting extra oil right now.

Looked through the intakes and didn't see anything broken or missing with the reeds but didn't pull the plates to inspect closely.

Was going to try the paper/cardboard injector test, will that work on the EV Diag software and doing a static test with them?
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

12. Member
    Checked spark with timing light tonight, all 6 seemed to be sparking. Checked TPS volts, .43 at no throttle 4.68 at full throttle.

Pulled plugs after driving the boat around yesterday aot different rpm. Still could only get 5000 or so.

#6 cylinders plug was a little wet compared to the others. Bottom left.

#5 didn't seem to be as brown as the others, that is the one I replaced the injector and coil on. Had spark via timing light and and fuel spray with the cardboard test.

Ordered new reed plate gaskets so will pull those once they come. Don't know what else to check at this point.

PXL_20240421_194349750.jpg
    Last edited by dbuchmann; 04-22-2024 at 05:28 PM.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

13. Member
    Figured it out. Took the reed plate off and found one petal completely missing. Swapped a set from my other Powerhead and got everything reinstalled. Took it to the lake. No issue starting and ran great at all rpm.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

14. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2