Looking to fish some new water!

Hello, I am wondering if there are any Western Iowa lakes that are about an hour drive or less from Omaha that anybody would recommend. I am wanting to get into Western Iowa more with the hopes of finding some better bass fishing.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Lots of good lakes but I’m sure you have fished them. Prairie Rose would fit the bill for numbers but not many over 3lbs. They are there but hard to find… It will get busy there on a Saturday/Sunday. Viking has some very nice size in it but it will be busy as well on the weekends especially with nice weather. Anita is a little farther, can have good size but can also suck Lol. Plus the Creston lakes but there a drive from Omaha. I don’t know any other public lakes.

Haven't fished Western Iowa much, other than Okoboji. I was thinking that Viking would be a good choice, but obviously don't want to make the drive if the lake is garbage. Although, don't see how it could be worse than what I deal with in Eastern Nebraska.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Viking is a pretty good lake. Are you talking weekend fishing? They are ok as long as there is no tourney
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

5. Member
    I think Viking would be a good place for you to try. It doesn’t look like any tournament in April there right now. If you go on google earth and go back in the history you can learn a lot about it. There’s some good rock refs and lots of brush piles. You will lose some tackle to the lake though. I guess that goes along with fishing structure. They have good ramps and docks as well. There’s a nice Casey station in Stanton for snacks and drinks too.

6. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    redog, have you been to 12 mile yet? Heard it was so low the rock reefs are out of water. That’s surprising because although low green valley is not like that.
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Viking is a pretty good lake. Are you talking weekend fishing? They are ok as long as there is no tourney
    Yes, thinking about going there this weekend. Losing about 3hrs drive time total sucks, but I'm sick of the lakes around here.

Was also looking at Maskethine near Norfolk, haven't been there either and its a touch closer for me than Viking.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    redog, have you been to 12 mile yet? Heard it was so low the rock reefs are out of water. That’s surprising because although low green valley is not like that.
    I have been there yet,was going to but the wind was to much that day. It’s not that low…. 3-mile is 8ft low there doing some shore work. If you go the Iowa bass stockers face book you can see pictures of the lake and it’s good.

9. Member
    I don’t know if Prairie Rose would be faster for you take i80 out of Omaha? Those fish at PR are fun to catch and I think you could have a lot of numbers.. But if there the same drive time Viking will give you a better chance at a fish over 4-5lbs.

10. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    I have been there yet,was going to but the wind was to much that day. It’s not that low…. 3-mile is 8ft low there doing some shore work. If you go the Iowa bass stockers face book you can see pictures of the lake and it’s good.
    figured that. Report is the rock reefs are out of water with the vinyl showing and broke off crankbaits stuck on them. I found it hard to buy lake was that low but I do know all of them need rain
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

11. Member
    If we had what places in Texas got we wouldn’t be as bad but dealing with 12” of rain in a couple days would be hard!!!

12. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Well apparently it’s down alot! They are pulling water for the city because 3 mile is low. That sucks
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Bill showed me a picture of 12 mile 2 weeks ago and you could definitely see the rock reefs. We NEED Rain!!!!

14. Member
    These are some pictures of 12-mile last Saturday. Sounds like you guys must be right. But I didn’t think it was low enough to start showing rock refs. But I believe you guys. If there pulling water out for the city or SIRWA then it could get bad at 12-M
    a lot of lakes are 2ft low min now.
    IMG_3402.png
    IMG_3403.png

What is the normal water clarity for Viking? The Omnia app is showing it pretty clear right now, but unsure how accurate that really is on some of these small reservoirs.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    My guess would be about 16” or less right now. I hope you have good luck!! Let us know how you do.

17. Member
    You need to drive out west to Lake Mac and catch some 3-4# smalleys.