New GLX impressions

Does anyone have any feed back on the new GLX models? I’m particularly interested in the 843c and 891s.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster14 View Post
    Does anyone have any feed back on the new GLX models? I’m particularly interested in the 843c and 891s.
    I have a GLX 863 DSR on order..... I should have it in a few days and will provide feedback

3. Member
    I like the refreshed handles, especially on the spinning models, but if its the exact same blank, the top tier blanks have exceeded GLX years ago. Still great, but not worth $500, in my humble opinion (if you’ve had other $500 rods in your hands).

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    I have a GLX 863 DSR on order..... I should have it in a few days and will provide feedback
    This is the one that caught my attention. Can’t wait for the review

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    I like the refreshed handles, especially on the spinning models, but if its the exact same blank, the top tier blanks have exceeded GLX years ago. Still great, but not worth $500, in my humble opinion (if you’ve had other $500 rods in your hands).
    The blanks are different. Apparently a different build process where less resin is needed and therefore they are lighter. They felt similar to the original NRX blanks in my opinion.

6. Member
    I have a SJR 841. I like the handle and over all feel of the rod. I fish it interchangeably with my NRX rods. There's no noticeable difference in performance and feel in hand. I like the handle's even though Loomis had to make them different than the NRX+ for marketing. Mega Bass P5 ish cork on the CI4 seat. The blanks seem a touch softer than the NRX equivalents, The 852s GLX has a softer tip with the power through the rod like the NRX version. The jerk bait rod is going to be good. JWR 893c feels like my Green NRX, slightly softer tip section. The 891s is faster than my NRX+ 901s, the tip is soft to throw hair jigs, but gets into the power of the rod faster. I think you could interchange GLX and NRX based on rod action and not miss any performance. Just my $.02.

7. Member
    I can’t help a whole lot but I just got an 854 JWR as a warranty replacement. I didn’t have any experience with the previous model 854 as it broke on second cast but I think it is a bit light on the power rating. It is a lot closer to my 853 than it should have been. Very sleek looking rod and will pair to almost any reel from a cosmetic standpoint.

8. Member
    Been using my new 854 with tubes for bed fish. Has more backbone than the previous model GLX and feels lighter. Very comfortable reel seat with a Bantam MGL. Not at all crazy about the placement/style of the hook keeper. Overall a better rod than the previous models.

9. Member
    Where is the hook keeper?
    Red Sox in 6!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Where is the hook keeper?
    on top of the blank forward of the reel

11. Member
    The Ci4 casting rod reel seat Shimano is using on the NRX+, Expride, and now GLX rods is so uncomfortable with that long stabbing trigger. Check out the new Megabass Detroyer P5 and St. Croix LTB reel seats, way better. The spinning rod handles on the other hand are great, I have several NRX+ and Expride B spinning rods, love them!

12. Member
    Honest question for those who have fished both the previous gen and newest gen GLX....would you sell your old one to buy a new one of the same model now that you've had some time with them?

13. Member
    I’ve used both prev gen and current gen and for the casting rods at least the reel seat is a night and day improvement for me. My old and new aren’t comparable models so I don’t know how much same models would fish. They do fish exactly like a pre + NRX to me.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heelamonster View Post
    Honest question for those who have fished both the previous gen and newest gen GLX....would you sell your old one to buy a new one of the same model now that you've had some time with them?
    without question! You want to buy the last models I have?

15. Member
    Thank you both for the response!

I apprecite the offer but i sold my previous gen last year thinking they may be coming out with a new GLX. I didn't love the reel seat. I'd heard these were the new CI4+ but then someone above said they were different than the NRX which made me concerned that new wasn't necessarily better. If they fixh like th old NRX that's a plus too!

Appreciate the help!

16. Member
    I like the reel seat. Comfortable to me and better than the previous models. I think a “stabbing” description is a little dramatic! Lol

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    The Ci4 casting rod reel seat Shimano is using on the NRX+, Expride, and now GLX rods is so uncomfortable with that long stabbing trigger. Check out the new Megabass Detroyer P5 and St. Croix LTB reel seats, way better. The spinning rod handles on the other hand are great, I have several NRX+ and Expride B spinning rods, love them!
    the LTBs use a Fuji SKTPSM reel seat, the Ci4 is more along the lines of a American Tackle G2 E-Seat. There shouldn’t be a “stabbing” feeling at all. But not all reel seats suits everyone’s ergonomics. As an example I can’t stand the Fuji ACS and it’s one of the reasons I got into building.

that said, you should be able to bring it to a builder, or use a dremel to shorten the trigger if you like the rod
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

18. Member
    Just received my GLX 842s for ALF, weighed in at 3.1oz. Less than my NRX+ counterpart but to be expected with less cork. The blank itself feels slightly softer/less power than the NRX+ in hand but will be water testing on Thrusday. My balance is right in front cork with a 17' C3000HG Exsence which comes in around 7.1oz compared to the newer ones at 6.3oz. I believe the longer rods might feel tip heavy to some.

19. Member
    I received a GLX 863 DSR. The rod was very nice but the action was a little too light for me. I was expecting something close to my NRX 852S but it was a lot lighter. I exchanged it for a GLX 904C. The rod is very nice and the blank reminds me of the original NRX.

20. Member
    Have a few outings with the new 842s but I was wrong about the blank feeling slightly lighter in power compared to the NRX+ version. Tips feel pretty close but the backbone kicks in little quicker on the GLX. Tossed 1/8oz ball head finesse baits up to 3/8oz finesse football jigs with smaller trailers rod performed very well. If you like slow roll swim baits the NRX gets the nod but for those slow days on dead sticking bottom contact baits GLX for the win at least in my hands. Either obviously can do all.