Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I use Jescar Ultralock for the fiberglass. Excellent product and last about six months. Use 303 protectant for the seats and trailer tires.
    2024 Phoenix 919 Pro XP / 225 Yamaha SHO

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    Chemical guys Hydro slick! 1 application per/yr. Its like a wet ice cube
    I have used them all but this stuff is amazing
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Member
    For the most part, everything out there works, if the fiberglass is in good shape to begin with. Not all lasts the same. I don’t think anything brings shine back to oxidized, faded fiberglass, it will need to be corrected first (buffed/wet sanded or polished out).

I did some research a few years ago, and concluded the “best” product (especially in longevity) was the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic spray (green bottle). There were a lot of You tubers that were doing tests, comparing all the brands mentioned here so far, and many more (lots of high reputation name brands) and the Turtle wax out lasted, out shined, outslicked, out beaded ALL of them. Go figure, its probably one of the cheapest out there too. Look it up. They were they were throwing sand on the finishes, excessivly washing them, throwing chemicals and acids, pouring lighter fluid and lighting it, etc and the Turtle wax held the beading the longest (and the best). It wasn’t just one video, it was pretty much all the videos that I found, where Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic was one of the subjects. I dont know if they are still the best, but I did notice that they have a new one out with “Graphene”, whatever that is. They say its better than their original Hybrid Ceramic.

Personal experience, yes, the Turtle Wax works extremely well, and is the slickest of all that I have ever personally used. Its one of the few that I know of that also “layers” with multiple coats, like the product Zaino (product I discovered through Corvette fanatics).
    Last edited by JJohnSind; 04-16-2024 at 09:49 PM.

4. Member
    Guys I've never used any of this stuff. Always been a wash and wax guy but now with all these ceramic products available I want to give it a try. I just washed my white fiberglass glass boat using first, two applications of the Starbrite foam hull cleaner. which got it pretty clean and then 2 good scrub washes of Dawn and hot water. So basically its stripped of any wax buildup I would say.
    I picked up a bottle of the Hot Sauce that says " the ultimate water spot remover and sealant" Thinking I may take it back and try something else. The turtle wax stuff JJohnSind is speaking of maybe?
    My question is . Do I polish with something else first or apply a Ceramic or Hot Sauce as is?
    I'm not looking for the glossiest show boat ever. Just trying to help make it easier next time to remove scum. thanks guys.
    Last edited by styler; 04-19-2024 at 08:54 PM.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    Guys I've never used any of this stuff. Always been a wash and wax guy but now with all these ceramic products available I want to give it a try. I just washed my white fiberglass glass boat using first, two applications of the Starbrite foam hull cleaner. which got it pretty clean and then 2 good scrub washes of Dawn and hot water. So basically its stripped of any wax buildup I would say.
    I picked up a bottle of the Hot Sauce that says " the ultimate water spot remover and sealant" Thinking I may take it back and try something else. The turtle wax stuff JJohnSind is speaking of maybe?
    My question is . Do I polish with something else first or apply a Ceramic or Hot Sauce as is?
    I'm not looking for the glossiest show boat ever. Just trying to help make it easier next time to remove scum. thanks guys.
    Hot sauce is not a good product for laying down a base coat of protection. It’s a detail spray to clean up the boat at the ramp and doesn’t strip existing wax.

Apply a traditional boat wax or a spray on ceramic wax product after stripping wax with dawn dish soap.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

6. Member
    Every time I decide to check out a chemical guys product that someone is ranting and raving about (and I have several of their products), I get distracted by the fact that they lure me into the 227 other varieties of the exact same thing they are selling !

I consider myself to be an old school car guy. I've always taken care of everything and I love trying out new detailing products.

But as soon as I go the Chemical Guys pages on the 'Zon, it's like Las Vegas at night ! It's like sensory overload for me, and I get distracted by all the choices and bright labeling and crafty names...and then I just can't make choice.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

7. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    Every time I decide to check out a chemical guys product that someone is ranting and raving about (and I have several of their products), I get distracted by the fact that they lure me into the 227 other varieties of the exact same thing they are selling !

I consider myself to be an old school car guy. I've always taken care of everything and I love trying out new detailing products.

But as soon as I go the Chemical Guys pages on the 'Zon, it's like Las Vegas at night ! It's like sensory overload for me, and I get distracted by all the choices and bright labeling and crafty names...and then I just can't make choice.
    .....and it keeps on rolling. I just got back from the local big box looking for the Invisible Cleaner and HydroShield for restoring plastic trim. But, I likely have something in the g'rage that will do the same thing.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Hot sauce is not a good product for laying down a base coat of protection. It’s a detail spray to clean up the boat at the ramp and doesn’t strip existing wax.

Apply a traditional boat wax or a spray on ceramic wax product after stripping wax with dawn dish soap.
    Thats the answer I was looking for thanks man . Ceramic it is

Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    Now that your boat is stripped, use a sealant. I use Pro Tec once a season after my boat is stripped. Fibreglass is porous and a sealant will seal it properly. After that, use any other wax, quick detailer, ceramic, or whatever you choose whenever you want.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. Member
    Use a ceramic coating.. or spray.. research it a little. There are different brands and strengths... Graphene is a good one but there are others. They make kits for complete care or for a protective application.
    Last edited by FloridaFlyer; 04-20-2024 at 10:46 AM.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Ceramic is the way to go with a ceramic detailing spray - cuts my cleaning time to 1/3 of what it was.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Pro Tec, or 3M marine paste wax.

14. Member
    Ok guys right or wrong I used Starbrite marine sealer wax (that's what I had) then 2 coats of the Turtle wax hybrid ceramic.
    Its about as slick as youll ever get one I'd say. One thing that worked good for me in preparation is I used Mr Clean Magic Erasers to get those spots nothing else will remove. White boat so it ends up with all kinds of little things to scrub.
    By the way this is way too much work .. I spent the better part of 2 days and still could find more to clean. I hope this ceramic will speed this up next time. Thanks for the tips.

15. Member
    I’m very picky about my boats. I have tried everything to include complete strip,clay bar, orbital polisher and compound of the entire boat and high end ceramic coating followed by Protec sealant. After years of doing, this I found that the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic provides excellent protection. I also applied it to my granite countertops and it is superior for sealing your granite. Try it. One thing you will learn with a great coating is hard it is to correct if you have high spots. That will give you insight on its protection properties. It typically takes me around 20 hours to detail the fiberglass on my boat. The hull is PIA.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John__S View Post
    I’m very picky about my boats. I have tried everything to include complete strip,clay bar, orbital polisher and compound of the entire boat and high end ceramic coating followed by Protec sealant. After years of doing, this I found that the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic provides excellent protection. I also applied it to my granite countertops and it is superior for sealing your granite. Try it. One thing you will learn with a great coating is hard it is to correct if you have high spots. That will give you insight on its protection properties. It typically takes me around 20 hours to detail the fiberglass on my boat. The hull is PIA.

FYI, from my own experiences many decades ago, waxing the hull measurably slows you down. May not matter to some people, but thought I'd throw it out there.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    FYI, from my own experiences many decades ago, waxing the hull measurably slows you down. May not matter to some people, but thought I'd throw it out there.
    Very true. I have a friend who raced F1 (tunnel hulls) for Evinrude in the 80's. They would wet sand the running surface regularly for speed.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

18. Member
    Just got some Pro rec wax for my boat
    After washing the boat and give 2 coats of pro tec wax should I put a cutting of ceramic wax over it or no?
    I also use BBS during the season
    Thanks

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by figueira View Post
    After washing the boat and give 2 coats of pro tec wax should I put a cutting of ceramic wax over it or no?
    Thanks
    You wont need to. If done correctly, it will shine like a new penny. But i would suggest wiping it after use with whatever formula you like. ( i use hot sauce for daily wipes. But all the suggestions will work.)

Quote Originally Posted by figueira View Post
    Thanks

Spoke with Protec the other day, about the same thing. They said do not put ceramic on top of it, and that in general not good for fiberglass boats. Also, spoke with a member here that same day who had just finished two tucks with NexGen ceramic spray, (said they looked great), he called that company and they also told him not to use their product on his new BassCat...
    Last edited by drainplug; 04-27-2024 at 05:26 AM.
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast