2.5 black max dies at 2k rpm

ogo52194 I have a 1994 200hp 2.5l carb engine I was across the lake and the engine was working fine I fished down a small river with the trolling motor turned around and trolled back with the 200hp engine to the lake. As soon as I got the the lake I brought the boat to plain and the engine just stopped. I was able to restart the engine but as soon as it got to 2000 rpm the engine just stops. I was able to drive about a mile at 1900 rpm to my dock. I can idle smooth i took it to 4000 rpm no problems but when in gear it dies at 2000. I checked linkages they all look good I replaced the fuel filter, drained the water gas seperator and replaced the fuel pump and it still does the same thing. The boat is at my dock and its about 3 miles to the ramp to pull the boat.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Primer bulb pumped firm/ remaining full? What was the battery voltage when it's shutting down?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    battery voltage is 13.8-14.2 per gauge primmer bulb feels firm but I have not had anyone pumping it when boat is running.

4. Member
    unplug cannon plug /wiring harness and see if it planes out this isolates problem to engine eliminates boat as problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    I think the engine might have eaten the reed maybe. I replaced fuel filter, fuel pump and ran it off a 2gal can. The engine started fine ran idled fine I put it in gear ran forward fine as soon as I gave it throttle up to 2K the engine made all kinds of noise and stopped and would not turn over. I would say the engine is blown.

6. Member
    drop the lower unit before you condemn the motor.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by massbays View Post
    drop the lower unit before you condemn the motor.
    +1 right there
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    I found a clogged fuel line on my 97 efi 200,,, was so bad I could hardly blow threw tge line… check the fuel lines from fuel filter to VST….make sure you pull them off 1 by 1 and blow through them,,,, mine did the same thing as what your complaining about,, motor would die out at around 2500 rpm,,, then would restart right away,,,,

9. Member
    Does it still have the original 2 winding (speed) stator?
    or the newer "red" stator?
    the original will quit @ around 1900 rpm if the hi speed windings quit. Will run perfect at lower rpm.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpowie View Post
    I think the engine might have eaten the reed maybe. I replaced fuel filter, fuel pump and ran it off a 2gal can. The engine started fine ran idled fine I put it in gear ran forward fine as soon as I gave it throttle up to 2K the engine made all kinds of noise and stopped and would not turn over. I would say the engine is blown.
    This fuel was Pre-mixed, right?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor