New Engine, Need Prop Help

2014 Puma, power poles, usually run pretty heavy. Blew up original Merc 250, now have 2024 4 stroke Merc 250.

Running a 3 blade Fury, was using 3 partial plugs and had good hole shot and ran into low 70’s with no problem. Now when I get to 5000 or so RPM and trim up some, get the dreaded bounce. If I bury the trim down it goes away, but obviously lack performance. Wondering if putting in solid plugs will help?

PVS plugs only effect your holeshot, nothing else. What pitch prop are you running? Going from a 2 stroke to 4, you will usually drop 1 or 2 pitches.

3. Member
    23 fury 3 maybe a 24 is what you needed? what did you get? what is ptp? what type of batteries?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    24 Fury, 4 Ionics lithiums. Hole shot is fine, still in break in period, so not pushing anything.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post
    24 Fury, 4 Ionics lithiums. Hole shot is fine, still in break in period, so not pushing anything.
    need to wind her out for a minute every 10 minutes for first 2 hrs need to measure ptp set about 3.25 below

For the First Two Hours of Operation: Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature. Get the boat on plane, and operate the engine at up to 4500 RPM's (Important: Vary engine RPM's every 2-5 minutes). Run the engine to FULL THROTTLE for 60 seconds once every 10 minutes (approximately).

Additional Recommendation: Though not listed in Owner's Manuals, it is an excellent idea to have the engine make at least two (2) complete HEAT CYCLES during the first 2 hours of operation. A heat cycle consists of: Ambient temp, start engine, come to operating temp, run engine for at least 5 minutes on plane, return to idle, stabilize engine temp, shutdown engine and allow to cool to ambient temp. Note: Heat cycles CAN be done on different days.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    I assume "dreaded bounce" is referring to chine walk or porpoising. If it is chine walk then more driving skills are needed. If it is porposing then it could be anything from set up, to weight distribution, to prop, etc. Most BCB models do not porpoise. Plugs as stated above are only for hole shot. Nothing else.

7. Member
    If you have a hydraulic plate; when you get that high speed bounce drop your plate. The “bounce”.is usually an indicator of prop slip and usually happens when heavily loaded and trying to run high speeds. I can usually lower my plate and eliminate it.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

8. Member
    Probably need a 23" pitch Fury and lower the plate some since you have lithiums, may end up having to add some weight to the back to get the best performance out of it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Probably need a 23" pitch Fury and lower the plate some since you have lithiums, may end up having to add some weight to the back to get the best performance out of it.
    With poles and you run "heavy", this is correct.

10. Member
    I will start by adding weight to the back compartments. Will report results next week.

11. Member
    Update. Moved some weight back, really opened her up today and everything is fine. What a difference in hole shot and midrange acceleration from 2 stroke. Now if I could add some fish weight to the back!