2018 Nitro Z20 switch panel issues

I have read a number of threads on here about Nitro switch panels getting wet and malfunctioning. I've been wondering when my turn would come. It happened this week.
    I was staying at a fish camp for a few days with my boat tied up at the dock and we had a hard rain one night. The next day, my engine trim switch kept trying to go down. Every time I would turn the power on at the main switch on the console, ( the panel that has livewells, bilge, horn etc) the trim switch would activate trying to make it go down.
    The other trim switches on the boat all worked fine. I assumed the problem was at the bow panel since it has a trim up and down button. however, when I unplugged the bow panel completely, the problem still exists.

i'm now wondering if there is a short in the main switch panel at the console where the power button is. I'm trying to decide if I should take it in to a dealer to have them work on it to find the problem or should I just order one or both of those switch panels and replace them myself
    it seems strange to me that the main switch panel doesn't even have a trim button on it and also that I have completely unplugged the bow mounted panel that does have a trim switch, but it doesn't cure the problem
    When it comes to my basic knowledge of electricity switches have never been my strong suit.

Do any of y'all have any thoughts on what may be causing this problem?
    Thank you in advance.

2. Member
    Nobody??

3. Member
    It’s hard to troubleshoot over the internet. Could be the touch panel, could be the Ecu as well. It doesn’t sound like you are super confident troubleshooting yourself I’d recommend a dealer rather than throwing parts at it.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. Member
    I have replaced my helm switch panel 2 times both times I had been on an out of state trip moored my boat and it was in heavy rain for a day, mine is garage kept usually so it sounds like you could try replacing it? I also had the trim switch go bad on my Merc those are my only issues with my boat in 3 years.
    2020 Z19 Pro
    200hp Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    It’s hard to troubleshoot over the internet. Could be the touch panel, could be the Ecu as well. It doesn’t sound like you are super confident troubleshooting yourself I’d recommend a dealer rather than throwing parts at it.
    Thanks for your reply. The only reason I replaced that panel is because I have read numerous other posts where people had the same issues after the panel got wet. Which mine did. Even service bulletins from the manufacturer showing that these panels go bad when they get wet.
    Anyway, I did decide yesterday to take it to my local marine mechanic to see if he could run down the problem. I just prefer to fix things myself when I can.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarponstalker View Post
    Thanks for your reply. The only reason I replaced that panel is because I have read numerous other posts where people had the same issues after the panel got wet. Which mine did. Even service bulletins from the manufacturer showing that these panels go bad when they get wet.
    Anyway, I did decide yesterday to take it to my local marine mechanic to see if he could run down the problem. I just prefer to fix things myself when I can.
    When mine went they had to replace the touch screen, Ecu and power button.

I eventually ended up doing a rocker switch conversion. I just don’t trust that switch panel.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

7. Member
    Tarponstalker,
    Let us know what you found to be your problem when you get it back
    2020 Z19 Pro
    200hp Pro XS

8. Member
    Yes. I will do that once I find out

9. Member
    I have the same problem with my boat at the moment. 2019 z21. Trim on motor, throttle, blinker switch all operate normally. But when I turn on master power, trim automatically goes down. I’ve found that many people disconnect the bow panel switch and it fixes it. Unfortunately mine still has the issue. I found two spots under the console that I’ve isolated the wire grouping to where if I pull that plug out it cuts the power and it fixes it, but I lose other accessories that are tied into it. Any help/luck with your issue so far?

10. Member
    It's so funny that you posted the same problem today. I told my boat mechanic the same thing. I isolated what seemed to be a problem in the wiring harness. When I wiggled a certain wire, it would interrupt the motor trimming down. After he did some research, he found that it had a bad plug in the fuse panel. He ordered a new panel and it's supposed to be in here Tuesday. I should know for sure if that fixes the problem by next week.
    i'll update once I find out

11. Member
    Alot of talk about having issues on wet days, so I put a thin bead of silicone on top and sides of the power switch and the control panel for livewell and lights.