Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

225 Optimax Pro XS cuts out when getting on plane.

2017 225 Pro XS Model 1226P73BD, Serial 2B525444
    The past few times I have been out the engine cuts out a few times when getting plane, it only does this the first time of the day, after that it runs fine and jumps on plane easily all day with no issues even after sitting for a few hours. Primer bulb is pumped up, engine is up to temp and this is after idling out of the no way zone about 1/4 mile. See video.

2. Member

3. Member
    My 2018 Optimax Pro xs 225 did this last week but only once. It ran fine after that and never did it again. I have no idea what caused it.

Great video! I have the same issue with a 2014 ProXS 250HO. Just started doing this last season. Thinking it may be a bad primer bulb.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Load test the cranking battery... and make sure it provides a MINIMUM of 950 CCA.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Load test the cranking battery... and make sure it provides a MINIMUM of 950 CCA.
    It does.
    20240407_195009.jpg

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not 100% sure I'd trust that little gizmo, but let's work from the presumption that it's correct.

Check battery cable connections: Engine cables on FIRST, remaining lugs Largest to Smallest and finish with a Stainless Nut or Locknut (NO wing nuts).

If possible, install a Marine Clamp-Style Terminal with it's own separate lug (place engine and charger cables on this terminal lug).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Not 100% sure I'd trust that little gizmo, but let's work from the presumption that it's correct.

Check battery cable connections: Engine cables on FIRST, remaining lugs Largest to Smallest and finish with a Stainless Nut or Locknut (NO wing nuts).

If possible, install a Marine Clamp-Style Terminal with it's own separate lug (place engine and charger cables on this terminal lug).
    Yes that's how I have it. Would a battery issue cause it to do that? Like I said it runs fine the rest of the day, battery is almost brand new and still under warranty. I can swap it out if you think that will fix the issue. I have an older resistance load tester I can use as well, but the readings I get with it have always been consistent with the digital testers.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'd either swap to another known-good battery, OR use a carbon-pile tester on that battery when it's stone-cold, first thing in the morning.

That's when your engine's demands on the battery are heaviest... and low voltage can cause a VERY wide array of running problems, many of which may not even log the low voltage event.

Don't forget to check the ENGINE end of the battery cables/connections. Especially the ground down below the starter (where it grounds to the block).

10. Member
    That's my exact symptoms with my 2014 250 Pro XS. I'm trying to chase down the problem
    XRS/250 ProXS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCountryx View Post
    That's my exact symptoms with my 2014 250 Pro XS. I'm trying to chase down the problem
    Let me know if you figure it out.

12. Member
    would also do a fuel psi test when its under load and surging
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    I went ahead and replaced the fuel line and primer bulb, even though what was in there looked fine. I dug out the old carbon pile tester as well and it tested over 1000 amps. Going to try it tomorrow and see what happens.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I went ahead and replaced the fuel line and primer bulb, even though what was in there looked fine. I dug out the old carbon pile tester as well and it tested over 1000 amps. Going to try it tomorrow and see what happens.
    What was the ambient temp?

15. Member
    What was the ambient temp?
    High 50s I think when I tested it. I had the boat out today and it didn't do that so the new fuel line and primer bulb may have fixed it. However I have a new issue, the trim reading on the Smartcraft gauge is off. used to read Trim 0 all the way down then once it got to 10 went from trim to trailer. Now it's reading trailer 16 with it all the way down. Is there a way to recalibrate it? It was working fine at first today.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Disconnect/Reconnect the digital trim sender wires, make sure you have room under the engine to trim it FULL DOWN (as long as it has clearance, run full down and hold there for 3-4 seconds, stalling the trim).

See if that resolves the readings. If not, you can calibrate the sensor in Smartcraft (from your instrument) but that shouldn't be necessary.

17. Member
    The new line and bulb fixed mine too. You can get into calibration mode by holding down the Mode button and the + button at the same time. You will figure out the rest from there. I had to do the same thing.
    XRS/250 ProXS

18. Member
    It did it once again, but ran fine after. I calibrated the trim sensor and it worked correctly, but next time on the water it quit working, it reads 0 all the time now.

Make sure the cross pin in the Trailor ram is still in place as well as the bushing on the starboard side.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Make sure the cross pin in the Trailor ram is still in place as well as the bushing on the starboard side.
    Good call, the bushing is gone but the pin is still there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast