Thread: chine walking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

chine walking

Hello gentlemen! I have a 2023 CX19...bought it new late last year. Now that the weather is nicer, I have taken her out several times. My wife accompanies me often...she is a bit heavier in weight than me...by about 50 lbs... mind you...she is far from obese... I have adjusted as much gear as possible putting the lightest things on her side and the heaviest on mine. I am not a stranger or newbie by any means as far as boating is concerned having many different brands of flats and bass boats over the course of 40 years. My Caymas wants to lean to the left (her side) upon takeoff throughout the hole shot until I jerk it to the right and trim it up. Then all is fine up to 62/65 mph with the trim up quite a bit and the hydraulic jack plate down or just a touch up. Then it starts to chine walk...I have been told that I should be able to steer through it and reach 74mph top speed with the 225 merc on the back. I have tried and tried...it gets almost violent sometimes!...and I feel unsafe to try to get through it. My wife and I have been together on my Legend, then my Skeeter, now this Caymas...none of the other boats did anything of the sort. What could be wrong with the boat or what am I doing wrong? Any kind help would be appreciated! Has anyone had trim tabs installed??? I have had a few boats with them, and they always corrected the chine walk... I used to have a handmade Big-O back in Florida... 20ftr with a 225 than ran 81mph on a "just right" day. The trim tabs and jack plate played a very important role while trying to achieve this speed. Thanks, in advance for your help! Respectfully, Ed

2. Member
    You don’t need to add trim tabs and all that garbage, it’s a setup issue. I’d start by raising the Plate up an little bit more and go from there.

3. Member
    I'll give it a try, thanks!

4. Member
    What CX 21 said, I have owned several Tritons and 1 Caymas, seems like the engine being too low was the problem with excessive walk.

5. Member
    I know what you’re talking about with the port side lean when coming out of the hole. My boat does the same thing until I trim it up a little. As far as the chine walk I can’t help you there because mine won’t run fast enough to walk. I wouldn’t think you would need to add anything additional though. At WFO I’m at 6 on the plate and 8 degrees on trim if this helps any.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS Lives

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    Hello gentlemen! I have a 2023 CX19...My Caymas wants to lean to the left (her side) upon takeoff throughout the hole shot until I jerk it to the right and trim it up. Then all is fine up to 62/65 mph with the trim up quite a bit and the hydraulic jack plate down or just a touch up. Then it starts to chine walk.
    here's some info on 'chine walk' previously posted here:

7. Member
    Probably need to raise the motor some and switch to a Tempest if you have a Fury, also I doubt you will get 74 MPH out of that but 70 should be attainable.

8. Member
    heavy bits in the back (plastics) and fill a single livewell depending on balance requirements, depth of water to vary until you get it tuned. As a note, I went with Lithium (1 12v 170ah, 1 36v 73ah) and chine is radically reduced. Putting plastics in the back left, keeping gas tank filled and filling a livewell all helped. Just a process of trial and error.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

9. Member
    thank you...that was an interesting article!!

10. Member
    Thanks! I have never owned a boat that has to be "driven" like this one just to get to 70...it seems to have its good points and its bad ones...moves through opposing boat wakes like butter...turns on a dime even at high speed...but the violent chine walking.... hmmm...80k for this???? Convince me otherwise or I'm selling...No disrespect has been meant here to the brand or the forum whatsoever!

11. Member
    I’ve got the same boat a 22 model. Mine use to scare me at about 65. Get the weight distributed right, motor height, hydro plate makes that easy and seat time. Mine no longer scares me lol but you gotta drive it a little bit. Lean on the wheel a bit left and she’ll stay on the pad. Great driving boat imo.

12. Member
    I have cx20 pro. Coming from aluminum boats I never experienced chine walk like I did when I initially got this one last May. It would be like a baby crawling it got so bad at times. For me, it took seat time in the boat and dialing in my trim and jack plate settings. I’ve got a hydraulic plate, so that makes it easier for sure. Additionally, I like trim tabs as they allow me to keep both hands on the wheel.

With all that being said, seat time was the cure for me. Chine walk is non-existent with slight corrections to steering wheel while driving on my end. The boat likes to be driven, but I don’t need to do that as much these days as I’ve gotten more familiar with it.

It’s your call as to whether you sale or not, but as I’ve gotten more familiar with mine that wouldn’t be on my radar.

13. Member
    Thanks! I have never owned a boat that has to be "driven" like this one just to get to 70...it seems to have its good points and its bad ones...moves through opposing boat wakes like butter...turns on a dime even at high speed...but the violent chine walking.... hmmm...80k for this???? Convince me otherwise or I'm selling...No disrespect has been meant here to the brand or the forum whatsoever!
    You went from riding in Ford Pintos to a Camaro, listen to what everyone has said on this thread.

14. Member
    Thanks a bunch for all of your helpful comments. I will take all of your suggestions into mind on the next trip out. Love your last comment about car comparison CX21! I happen to have a corvette in the garage!

15. Member
    Thanks a bunch for all of your helpful comments. I will take all of your suggestions into mind on the next trip out. Love your last comment about car comparison CX21! I happen to have a corvette in the garage!
    You need to do a prop to pad measurement, there are several videos out on how to do it, I would say on your rig the center of prop needs to be 3 inches below the pad of the boat, then you can work from there, good luck with it, once you get this boat figured out you will be very happy with the performance.

16. Member
    Thanks, happy camper! The prop to pad should be easy to set...I have an Atlas hydro plate. Should I leave it there for the hole shot as well?...or get it there as speed increases and the chine starts? ...probably touch and feel right?

17. Member
    Ed, I realize our hulls are not the same but for example I usually have my plate set at 3 for hole shot. You will have to play with it. Best thing to do is take measurements with boat on the trailer in the garage. Start with plate as low as you can get it and take a measurement. Then raise it to 1 and measure. Repeat until you are to a reasonable setting. This will give you some idea of where your plate is at as you raise it. You will learn how to control the boat just take one step at a time. These are great boats.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS Lives

18. Member
    One of my close friends once made a video of how to drive a Triton, actually turned out really good. He went by Small Mouth Guy, Jim Maggart, he passed away about 4 years ago.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    One of my close friends once made a video of how to drive a Triton, actually turned out really good. He went by Small Mouth Guy, Jim Maggart, he passed away about 4 years ago.
    Was it this one?

20. Member
    Thanks, happy camper! The prop to pad should be easy to set...I have an Atlas hydro plate. Should I leave it there for the hole shot as well?...or get it there as speed increases and the chine starts? ...probably touch and feel right?
    Yes, I do not mess with the heighth of my plate unless I am in very rough water or very shallow water, what prop you running ? I am guessing a 23 Fury would be good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast