2022 Bantam A vs Metanium mgl 150

Specifically will be used for 1/4oz swim jig with braid.Love the 2 new Metaniums I have now but they are used
    for finesse jig set ups.Love how they handle and cast but was worried how they would hold up with braid and a
    more power fishing use.Bantam seems to be made for more power fishing but wonder how it would cast lighter setup.
    Have the previous model Bantam but didn’t like it for 1/4 oz swim jig.Use it more for pitching jigs.
    Was wondering if the changes to newer Bantam helped it in casting lighter setups.

Thanks for any info

2. Member
    My 2 cents, stick with the Metanium. The Bantam A MGL is a fantastic reel and I feel like it casts standard size (3/8 oz and up) baits just as well as the Metanium. But the line guide is positioned closer to the spool on the Bantam. This creates a sharper angle for the line coming off the spool. To me this doesn’t make any difference with heavier baits but does make the Bantam slightly worse at casting something lighter like a 1/4 oz swim jig. Now if you are running a trailer on the swim jig, something like a 3.8 Keitech, then the weight of the trailer plus the swim jig basically negates this since the overall weight will be 1/2 oz or so. However, the Bantam is also a heavier reel than the Metanium. I prefer a lighter reel unless I’m trying to balance a tip-heavy rod. If I was deciding between the two for a frog reel, I’d give the Bantam a slight edge as it’s designed for power. Again, that’s just my take on it.

3. Member
    I dont believe the Bantam is designed to be “heavier duty” than the Metanium. Its simply the reel below the Metanium, and hits a lower price point. The aluminum body isnt any stronger than the magnesium body, as it applies to fishing. It just weighs more. If anything, the Metanium is heavier duty with its X-Ship pinion gear support and brass gears, but its more refined to be able to cast the lighter stuff too.

4. Member
    I think they both perform similarly, but if you fish in cold weather the solid aluminum in the bantam is a lot colder

5. Member
    Own almost a dozen of each. Metanium will cast further but the added weight of the Bantam helps balance longer rods better. Both are plenty strong throwing heavier weights.
    Last edited by ThomasD; 04-08-2024 at 12:55 PM.

Bantam is actually far more bulletproof than Metanium. It’s really not even close when it comes to stability in the frame and side plates. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"