Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any Pheasant hunters here

Im looking for a new shotgun. What are you guys shooting with? Im heavily leaning towards something on the lighter side due to a bad shoulder.

2. Member
    When we had birds in MO I was the only one in our group but I always preferred a 20ga.!

Doubt it will be a popular answer but worked for me in both KS and MO for birds!
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    When we had birds in MO I was the only one in our group but I always preferred a 20ga.!

Doubt it will be a popular answer but worked for me in both KS and MO for birds!
    There are some guys out there shooting a .410 so a 20g more than adequate.
    Are you shooting a semi, OU, SxS?

4. Member
    Have carried everything. 16 gauge, 20 gauge, 12 gauge. Auto, O/U.

I typically grab the Benelli M2 auto 12 just because I don't like wounded birds and it also carries easy. We get some quail mixed in so a few extra rounds in tube don't hurt either.

5. Member
    Depends where and when you hunt.
    Wild bird in South Dakota in December take a different approach then pen raised birds just getting set out.

I usually shoot a 12 but have killed quite a few with a 20.

I think a lighter gun would b e harder on the shoulder than a heavier?
    Dave

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    There are some guys out there shooting a .410 so a 20g more than adequate.
    Are you shooting a semi, OU, SxS?
    I'm old school and love pump shotguns.

I still love my Remington 870 express, it's bullet proof and really could care less if I scratch it. That just gives it more character and looks better than my buddies with their covered up Benelli's
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

7. Member
    Get a 20ga gas auto loader if a bad shoulder is an issue. I run both a 12 auto and a 20 auto. Open country and wild birds get the 12, tight cover, trees etc with birds that haven’t had a lot of pressure get the 20. Areas I hunt that have waterfowl mixed in get the 12.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

8. Member
    When I use to hunt it was 12 gauge for Pheasant, 12 for Quail.

Lots of options out there. Have been strictly O/U for many years now. Personal preference. 20,16,12 gauge all will kill birds. Put the pattern on the front half of the bird and it will drop. If I had to pick one for the average pheasant hunter chasing wild birds I’d say 12 gauge with 1 1/4 oz of number 5’s.

10. Member
    How about a two barrel 20/28ga. setup? https://www.dupontkguns.com/krieghof...-right-133601/

11. Member
    All my bird guns are SxS. Grulla 12, AyA 20 & 28 and Kimber 20. Early season in Montana I pick the AyA #2 20ga round body. Later in the season it will be the Grulla 12ga. ALL have DOUBLE triggers. 20ga Kimber for Grouse and AyA 28ga for quail.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I grew up in Iowa shooting pheasants with a single shot 28 gauge (full choke). I’d swear when I bought a 12 gauge pump I wasn’t anymore effective than I was with the 28 gauge.

13. Member
    I grew up in South Dakota and hunted pheasants with a 12 gauge 870 pump for years.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    I'm old school and love pump shotguns.

I still love my Remington 870 express, it's bullet proof and really could care less if I scratch it. That just gives it more character and looks better than my buddies with their covered up Benelli's
    Love my 16ga Remington 870 Wingmaster.

15. Member
    I don't hunt them but a coworker I am friends with is in it bigtime making a trip up north everyyear so I have talked about hunting them with him at length. Foe sure I would use a lightweight shotgun. 12,16 or 20. Whatever is light and handles well for you. I am a big guy and prefer longer barrels but be careful about what barrel length you get so it handles well in your hands.

Make sure the LOP works for what you will be wearing.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

16. Member
    If you have a bad shoulder, I’d go with a Beretta A400 Kickoff Plus in 20ga. Thats plenty for pheasants with modern shotshell construction. I have too many Benellis to count but a Beretta gas gun will kick less.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Love my 16ga Remington 870 Wingmaster.
    That was my pheasant gun also. Before steel shot was made mandatory for waterfowl, it did double duty shooting teal over decoys.

Tom

18. Member
    When I used to hunt I had a Franchi 12. My dad had the same in a 20. They were recoil but his 20 was a sweet gun. They are lightweight.
    GETFISHED !!!

19. Member
    I can get a used Browning sweet 16. Its in very good condition at a good price but when I picked it up and I just didnt seem to do it for me. Jr down below showed no reaction either. I also checked out the Stoeger M3020 upland semi auto, seemed pretty decent. A few friends told me I should look at the Savage 555 OU 20ga.

870 wingmaster 16ga.....had one, sold it. Wish I didnt. Bought it for $200 and sold it for $600

20. Member
    I use a Belgium Browning A5 sweet 16 with #6 unfortunately our pheasant population has crashed and if I want to hunt I have travel or go to a put and take.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast