2009 Mercury 50hp Power Trim Pump

The motor will trim up and down fine, but it does not hold when running. I'm assuming it must be something in the hydraulic cylinder and just need help getting pointed in the right direction. Should I buy a whole new power trim setup or is there a rebuild kit. If anyone has part numbers for what I need and where to get it, I would really appreciate it.
    Power trim pump.jpg

2. Member
    Also, the fluid around that cap is from me checking to be sure it had fluid still.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

That info is required in order to lookup parts for your engine.

Several possibilities- if you see no external leakage, make sure the manual relief valve is seated properly and snug.

Relief valves are also a possibility (as are internal seal leaks). Service Manual, PRISTINE clean work area, and a rebuild kit in that case (more than likely).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    The only serial number I found on any of the trim is 37-43530-1. The motor serial number is 1B762845. Pretty sure my best bet is going to be to just do a rebuild kit on the cylinder.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    1B762845 is the serial number that identifies the engine and all of it's parts.

Part# 827668A1 is the O-ring Kit to rebuild the system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I appreciate your help, I'm going to give that a try.

7. Member
    Parts are out for delivery so going to try to get started this evening. What type of trim fluid should I use and how much? It looks like my Academy is out of the Quicksilver Trim fluid, so is there a good alternative? I've tried research this myself and see way too many peoples opinions on what to use. Thanks again

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury or Quicksilver Power trim and steering fluid. I would not use any other fluid.