Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Livewell Additives

Pulled this from BassBlaster, lot of big words and stuff I don't fully understand, but in a limited test found additives have no impact on bass health...

Somewhere Floyd Buckets is yelling, "Told ya so".....

https://afspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....002/nafm.10975

2. Member
    I don't use additives run fill pump only on a timer all day never have a problem

3. Member
    Ice and only ice.

4. Member
    I’m pretty quick to dismiss other people’s personal experiences in favor of scientific research, but not in this instance. I’ve seen G-Juice bring fish back from the brink of death enough times for me to always use it.

5. Member
    Now that I have (2)125 AH Lithium batteries I just leave the livewells on all day. I don't use the timer I just let them run continuously. Up north here it's only hot enough to require closed livewells and ice and constant recirculation a few times a year. Most of the time just letting them run constantly with the resecr/fill selector left in the auto spot. It does mean changing the livewell pumps almost every year as it does put a lot more wear on them. I do carry a nice instant read digital thermometer that I can check the live well water temp also during those hot days. Was going add in livewell temp probe with remote gauge but did not seem worth the time as its not need 95 percent of the time I am out.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton bass View Post
    I don't use additives run fill pump only on a timer all day never have a problem
    This. The best thing you can do for fish in the livewell is give them fresh water.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

7. Member
    Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't all that effective. That said its cheap enough that I will probably continue to use it. When fish are struggling in summer heat, I've found a combo of ice / constant recirc / and g juice seems to be effective in reviving struggling fish.

One day I will do an injected oxygen system. I've heard that's the absolute best system.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't all that effective. That said its cheap enough that I will probably continue to use it. When fish are struggling in summer heat, I've found a combo of ice / constant recirc / and g juice seems to be effective in reviving struggling fish.

One day I will do an injected oxygen system. I've heard that's the absolute best system.
    Do you think catching them out of 80+ degree water and putting them in water that is 20-30 degrees colder is a good thing?

9. Member
    I add rejuvenade and some ice if water is really hot. The rejuvenade seems to calm fish and helps with bleeding.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Do you think catching them out of 80+ degree water and putting them in water that is 20-30 degrees colder is a good thing?
    Catching deep smallies they aren't living on the 80 degree surface temp

V-T2 livewell vents for me with no ice, no chemicals, just run the pumps and no issues.

12. Member
    I don't use G Juice unless I have a deep hooked fish, I can say that in the case that a fish is actively bleeding an additive like that has definitely helped.

13. Member
    I'll take my personal experience from years and years of using it over whatever experiment they did.

G-juice works and helps in the heat of the summer.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton bass View Post
    Exactly what I do. I have the most basic of livewells ever made. It pumps in lake water and when it reaches a certain depth it runs out the overflow or when the pump shuts off it stays at that level. I have the pump on a timer and when set at the max setting it runs for a minute, off for a minute etc. etc. etc. I've never used ice either. I do have the V-T2 vents and I'm a firm believer in them.

I haven't lost a fish in years.
    Hi Mike.

15. Moderator
    Please release me is what I like. Definitely calms them down which is the whole point. Rejuvenade is like giving a toddler mountain dew. Makes them geek out-No thanks.

16. Member
    I read the whole report and is actually well written. The control group is small, but being individual fish that have similar results, it's a good study. Noting fish held in water treated with additives revert to flee behavior when released, can be compared to saying how lively fish seem when released when using x, y, or z additive. One thing the study did not address was the case of a deeply hooked or bleeding fish. That seems to be a case where many say the additives do help. In any event, it's good to see issues like this being studied to help manage bass populations.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Then you release them into water that is 20-30 degrees hotter. I totally see where you're coming from.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Then you release them into water that is 20-30 degrees hotter. I totally see where you're coming from.
    Personally I've seen fish go from struggling to doing great with some ice. I don't add it unless necessary, but I think the increased oxygen levels can really help. And I don't think anyone is cooling water down 30 degrees.

19. Member
    Just hit em with a shot of Narcan right before weigh in.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    Please release me is what I like. Definitely calms them down which is the whole point. Rejuvenade is like giving a toddler mountain dew. Makes them geek out-No thanks.
    please release me was my favorite additive. I’ve seen it first hand how much it helps. I say was, because the last time I used it was on the 1000 islands and the granules that didnt dissolve got into the pump and burned it out 2 hours into the tourney. I switched to G Juice afterwards. I don’t think it works as good, but good enough
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast